Great work, at some point you'd probably be hired by RIM to fix all their android market problems. Haha
    07-26-11 09:44 PM
    HaTax this is amazing. The steps once followed work great I have android market on my playbook. now ill test some apps and report back tommorow.
    07-26-11 11:03 PM
    I've noticed eventually the downloads seem to start hanging at the "starting download" process. It's something to do with a bad intent being registered and it not being removed from the queue. I'll work on this in the upcoming days, but just wanted to give a heads up.

To minimize the possibility of this happening, after you've install an app with marketplace, do not run it from there! Exit out of marketplace and run the app from the app list on the main screen. Seems when they crash and they're launched by marketplace it can cause the problem.

Just a heads up on that.

And glad to hear it loaded up for you! Were the steps easy enough to follow?
    07-26-11 11:54 PM
    I love you.
    jonasbeaver and HaTaX like this.
    07-27-11 12:28 AM
    I love you.
    LOL, thanks man! I think I love you too... Okay, now things are weird...

Anyway, good news! I was trying to track down why downloads would get queued up, but sometimes they just sat. Well, after doing some digging it seems the google apps are tightly tied to YouTube.apk as well. After I loaded it up and launched it, all my downloads started kicking off in the background and installing.

So to top it off, add this APK in too:
    YouTube.apk

You can just load that up whenever after loading the others. Once it's installed and you restart the player, just go into it and launch a video, it should start pushing the other downloads through then.

Funny thing, rotate the device to portrait while a video is playing. From what I can see, the video plays awfully smooth, even in HQ mode....
    Philldoe and 4wheel like this.
    07-27-11 12:58 AM
    loading all since i just got my PB replacement... will report back
    07-27-11 01:46 AM
    So, I have a question.

Using Astro, I'm trying to replace an image in the sys.android folder, but it won't let me Move/Paste anything there. I'm guessing because I don't have root/SU access. How would I go about doing so through either Astro or ADB or what-have-you?
    07-27-11 02:33 AM
    LOL, thanks man! I think I love you too... Okay, now things are weird...

Anyway, good news! I was trying to track down why downloads would get queued up, but sometimes they just sat. Well, after doing some digging it seems the google apps are tightly tied to YouTube.apk as well. After I loaded it up and launched it, all my downloads started kicking off in the background and installing.

So to top it off, add this APK in too:
    YouTube.apk

You can just load that up whenever after loading the others. Once it's installed and you restart the player, just go into it and launch a video, it should start pushing the other downloads through then.

Funny thing, rotate the device to portrait while a video is playing. From what I can see, the video plays awfully smooth, even in HQ mode....
    Have you tried any gps nav app yet ? Thx.
    07-27-11 03:11 AM
    I've noticed eventually the downloads seem to start hanging at the "starting download" process. It's something to do with a bad intent being registered and it not being removed from the queue. I'll work on this in the upcoming days, but just wanted to give a heads up.

To minimize the possibility of this happening, after you've install an app with marketplace, do not run it from there! Exit out of marketplace and run the app from the app list on the main screen. Seems when they crash and they're launched by marketplace it can cause the problem.

Just a heads up on that.

And glad to hear it loaded up for you! Were the steps easy enough to follow?
    thanks for the heads wish i knew that last night keep on sticking on me only to find i downloaded 3 games last night (early morning); when i woke up. the steps are perfect and i used the android theme launcher to make it look a bit cleaner but when close has to be launched all over again.
    07-27-11 06:43 AM
    I have everything working and aside from a few little things, it is working well.

Many thanks to HaTaX for doing all of the legwork on this.

I am having trouble starting download. It seems that if I exit the Android player completly and reload it then all my downloads commence. I even get a notification in Playbook's OS.

Also, although I can search marketplace just fine, I can't browse. When I click on a category, that category never seems to load.

Also, You Tube videos through the app don't display properly.

Still, very useable as a proof of concept.
    Last edited by lawguyman; 07-27-11 at 07:04 AM.
    HaTaX likes this.
    07-27-11 06:58 AM
    I did some playing with V2 last night and it seems far more promising. I pulled out a few checks it has and made it pretty far along with the process, but there's work to be done.

1.82 is an old version of market, but simple, and it gave me a good baseline to work from. The newer market version I'm working on is 2.3.3 and it seems to work overall (besides the downloading) much better, so once that's finished I expect it to be much better and more functional.

YouTube doesn't display right, probably because this build is using the Android stock software opengl renderer. That's just not something that's complete in this version, I'd expect a later one to have a better graphics driver in it. At least they got the gralloc module built, that's a big help in 2D performance on the device.
    07-27-11 07:36 AM
    I did some playing with V2 last night and it seems far more promising. I pulled out a few checks it has and made it pretty far along with the process, but there's work to be done.

1.82 is an old version of market, but simple, and it gave me a good baseline to work from. The newer market version I'm working on is 2.3.3 and it seems to work overall (besides the downloading) much better, so once that's finished I expect it to be much better and more functional.

YouTube doesn't display right, probably because this build is using the Android stock software opengl renderer. That's just not something that's complete in this version, I'd expect a later one to have a better graphics driver in it. At least they got the gralloc module built, that's a big help in 2D performance on the device.
    Do you have any idea what the issue is with some Apps like Angry birds that shut down immediately? I suspect that it is a resolution issue or something like it.
    07-27-11 08:19 AM
    Here is a proof of concept video.

HaTaX likes this.
    07-27-11 08:30 AM
    Tried to download an app from the the market... Was left hanging in the starting download, based on the size of the app I calculated how long it would take to download and after waiting that certaint ammount of time closed the app player, reopened and and the app was installed....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-11 08:56 AM
    It seems that in order to get downloads downloaded properly and without hanging, it is important to do two things: (1) after a particular download reaches 100%, cancel it so it is cleared and (2) delete the .apk file from the downloads folder after you install it with Astro.

This is working well but it is really killing my battery.
    07-27-11 09:59 AM
    Nothing would download at first but working perfectly after hard reset. Tried last.fm now works flawlessly unlike before, tried bbc news app it required flash so installed and works! Firefox and angry birds rio are no go

07-27-11 11:41 AM
    07-27-11 12:29 PM
    hi hatax, i have problem creating the download folder in the location u mentioned. it prompts me to merge it with another download folder though i didnt see any in the misc->android folder.
    07-27-11 12:53 PM
    You should be able to create the directory through Windows.
    07-27-11 12:55 PM
    Well that's cool and it sucks at the same time, I didn't even get a mention in the article. I'm not normally that type of person, but it would be nice to get my name there as a bday gift. (Tomorrow is my bday).

Nice video though lawman, looks like that's what you need to make the tech press.

Sigh...
    /rant

07-27-11 01:07 PM
    Well that's cool and it sucks at the same time, I didn't even get a mention in the article. I'm not normally that type of person, but it would be nice to get my name there as a bday gift. (Tomorrow is my bday).

Nice video though lawman, looks like that's what you need to make the tech press.

Sigh...
    /rant

I credited you in a post that I made. Someone else did too.

All credit and thanks to you!
    HaTaX likes this.
    07-27-11 01:12 PM
    You should be able to create the directory through Windows.
    cant download any app from the market. and i think its caused by me not able to create the download folder. tried on my windows pc as well. no go.
    07-27-11 01:19 PM
    worked like a charm... awesome
    07-27-11 01:21 PM
    I don't think it can download unless you have that folder because that is the place where you are downloading to.

What does Windows report when you try to create it?
    07-27-11 01:22 PM
    I don't think it can download unless you have that folder because that is the place where you are downloading to.

What does Windows report when you try to create it?
    this is what i get .
    07-27-11 01:26 PM
285 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD