So over the last few days, I've been reading the rumors, speculation, and official release announced today about Android 4.4 Kit-Kat.

One focus is the optimization to allow 4.4 to run on low end devices (512MB devices). So it got me thinking... I wonder if that will open the chance for BB10 to eventually make its way to the Playbook. Perhaps it's just speculation, but I was always under the assumption that the addition of the Android environment in addition to the core BB10 OS, was the reason the PB hardware didn't receive BB10.

[edit]Dunno why I posted this in News/Rumors. It may be more appropriate for a different sub-forum.
    10-31-13 02:23 PM
    So over the last few days, I've been reading the rumors, speculation, and official release announced today about Android 4.4 Kit-Kat.

One focus is the optimization to allow 4.4 to run on low end devices (512MB devices). So it got me thinking... I wonder if that will open the chance for BB10 to eventually make its way to the Playbook. Perhaps it's just speculation, but I was always under the assumption that the addition of the Android environment in addition to the core BB10 OS, was the reason the PB hardware didn't receive BB10.

[edit]Dunno why I posted this in News/Rumors. It may be more appropriate for a different sub-forum.
    I think you would need a PlayBook development team to make this work.... doubt there is one anymore.

I bet it would be over a year before BB10 got the 4.4 runtime working... How long has 4.2 been out? By then there won't very many PlayBooks left in operation.
    10-31-13 02:37 PM
    Each new bb10 release seems to bring optimizations with improved speed and battery life. There's been a big leap from 10.0

I'm not sure how well 10.2 is running on the dev alpha device with 1gb but that would be the best test.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 02:41 PM
    Each new bb10 release seems to bring optimizations with improved speed and battery life. There's been a big leap from 10.0

I'm not sure how well 10.2 is running on the dev alpha device with 1gb but that would be the best test.

PLEASE wake me when they restore Bridge to full functionality........
    That's what stopped me from upgrading from a 9850 Torch to the Z 10.........Now they are giving them away, but I will not be tempted, all they have to do is restore Bridge
    Sigh.....

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 02:45 PM
    What is the current latest version of android compatibility on PB? (not counting the latest release, I did not upgrade yet, I was afraid after reading horror stories).
    10-31-13 07:34 PM
    Google: Samsung Galaxy Nexus won't get updated to Android 4.4 KitKat (updated)
    As much as this would be nice, the problem might lie with the chipset that the playbook has. Read this!
    10-31-13 07:45 PM
    Nice thought but wont happen sadly
    10-31-13 07:55 PM
    The Android runtime had no impact on the BB10 not coming to the PB. That was down to the fact that the PB sold pathetically and wasn't worth the time investment to get BB10 running on it.
    11-01-13 12:19 PM
    It would be great if there was a way to salvage the Playbook hardware by actually removing the entire OS, QNX and all, and have a clean install of kitkat and just turn it into an native Android device.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-01-13 12:49 PM
    It would be great if there was a way to salvage the Playbook hardware by actually removing the entire OS, QNX and all, and have a clean install of kitkat and just turn it into an native Android device.
    The build of the PB is great, OS, meh.......

c
    11-01-13 01:42 PM
    The build of the PB is great, OS, meh.......

c
    That's why someone needs to put android in that baby.
    11-02-13 06:54 PM