Well, it looks like LG thinks Bridge features are useful and a differentiating selling point...

(See QPair in press announcement)

LG Makes G Pad 8.3 Official For Q4 2013, Pricing To Be Announced

Wish BlackBerry still thought so too...
    09-01-13 05:36 AM
    Sounds like something to follow when it makes it to market. As I just wrote elsewhere, when my 9930 alerts me of something, I generally turn to my pb to open the email or calendar to read it on the larger screen and then deal with it on the pb generally (although I will admit editing text on my smaller 9930 with a trackpad is much easier than dealing with editing on the pb and the quirky (I could use a four letter word here) cursor placement on the pb.

Thanks for posting this info. Might be time to entertain other phone options that have not abandoned a tablet linked component.

They seem to have emphasized what BB could never capitalize on:

"True Convergence Experience with QPair.

The LG G Pad 8.3 meets the demanding requirements of the convergence age by improving connectivity between multiple devices. With the unique QPair app, every call and message received on a smartphone will appear on the G Pad for a true convergence experience. Users can then send simple replies through the LG G Pad 8.3. QPair also allows the G Pad to easily connect to other manufacturers’ smartphone and tablets (Jelly Bean OS recommended). Notes created on the G Pad’s QMemo can be seamlessly saved into users’ smartphones and shared from either device."
    Last edited by F2; 09-01-13 at 10:35 AM.
    cmdr_dan and imz like this.
    09-01-13 10:19 AM
    I read this earlier and was really liking it!

I think it's cool they are not limiting it to LG phones. Seems from what I read any phone running 4.2.2 can download QPair to pair with the G Pad. I wonder if that means it could be sideloaded with the new runtime in 10.2?

I really like this functionality with my 9350 and Playbook. I like what I see with the Q10, so if I could keep that and get a new tablet I would be happy! Guess we will see how it goes later this year when it's released.
    09-01-13 10:28 PM
    yes I am looking forward to more details on this

Sent from an ATM
    No trees were harmed during the making of this message
    09-02-13 12:06 AM
    Looks like a nice feature, hope it gets adopted by other Android manufacturers or even within Android itself. I have long thought a Bridge like feature should be added to Android (and iOS for that matter), good to see it finally happening, even if right now it is only one manufacturer. (I'm sure the Android modding community will throw together custom ROMs or a hacked app or something to make it work with other tablets besides the G Pad as well)
    09-02-13 09:20 AM
    Looks like a nice feature, hope it gets adopted by other Android manufacturers or even within Android itself. I have long thought a Bridge like feature should be added to Android (and iOS for that matter), good to see it finally happening, even if right now it is only one manufacturer. (I'm sure the Android modding community will throw together custom ROMs or a hacked app or something to make it work with other tablets besides the G Pad as well)
    Agreed! I would like to see this picked up into the Android kernel with expanded functionality. Specifically, I would like to see the ability to use the paired phone as a controller for tablets games. For example: I can play a board game on my tablet connected to TV and I just have to pass my paired phone around to actually play.

I would also like to see the functionality expanded. At the moment it just looks like just calls and texts go to the tablet. I don't think it included this detail, but can one do MMS from the tablet? Or is it only regular text like the Playbook's Bridge? Expanding it to other services, such as email, would be awesome.
    SifJar likes this.
    09-03-13 08:09 AM
    Another thing someone else will take from BBRY and fly with it like BBRY couldn't.
    09-03-13 08:29 AM
    Agreed! I would like to see this picked up into the Android kernel with expanded functionality. Specifically, I would like to see the ability to use the paired phone as a controller for tablets games. For example: I can play a board game on my tablet connected to TV and I just have to pass my paired phone around to actually play.

I would also like to see the functionality expanded. At the moment it just looks like just calls and texts go to the tablet. I don't think it included this detail, but can one do MMS from the tablet? Or is it only regular text like the Playbook's Bridge? Expanding it to other services, such as email, would be awesome.
    Indeed, having a decent API integrated into Android itself that apps can easily use could potentially make it a killer feature. Stuff like games, as you suggested, and also things like controlling media players (again, for Android devices connected to TVs) - potentially even offering special info on the smaller screen e.g. details about the movie/TV show you're watching, actors starring in it etc.

EDIT: Could also be useful for TV-connected devices like the Ouya etc. - these could then be controlled with a phone or tablet
    09-03-13 09:39 AM