Hi Crackberry, i've tryed to find my answer before this but i can't find any good answer for my question.

1. - I've just updated my playbook to OS 2.0.0.6149 and i want to do so i can run android apps but i haven't really understand if its just to download android apps after the os update or if I have to download som androidplayer-app before? if so where do i download it?

1,5. - I saw this explanation "how to root your playbook to work with android" and it wasn't so easy that I imagine? Is this the way it always gonna be? or i'm i just too early ?

2. - And after my playbook runs with android can i just go to ex; WhatsApp Messenger and press download on the android download link and it gonna work? or will it only work with particular apps?

Regards.
    Hampus

Sorry for messy thread!
    01-28-12 09:41 AM
    Once you're running OS 2.0 when you look in App World you'll see thousands of additional apps. These are Android apps that the developers have tested for PlayBook compatibility and submitted to App World. This is the supported way to install Android apps.

Some users on the forum have also repackaged available .apk files into .bar files that can be installed onto the PlayBook using developer mode. This is useful for apps where the developer hasn't submitted their app to App World. Only about 40% of Android apps are compatible with the PlayBook, and that doesn't include Skype or Netflix, so this is really hit or miss. It's also somewhat complicated.

If you root your PlayBook you can install Android Market and install apps directly from there. This is really unsupported and doesn't even work with the latest OS 2.0 beta, and definitely won't work with the release version of OS 2.0 (with email, calendar, etc). You'll also discover the same issue where most apps downloaded from Android Market don't work.
    dave1701 and Sesami like this.
    01-28-12 02:32 PM
    Thanks for that taylortbb.

So if i understand you right - if I be patient more and more apps gonna be able to download on app world. But how do i know if the apps ar android apps or not when i'm in app world?

When you talk about developer mode you last me on the D. But thats to complicate for me i think.

But whats the plan about all this that playbook will support android apps, in a few month i will be able to go in to say WhatsApp :: Download and download whatsapp.apk and just open it in "default" mode on the playbook and run it?

Thanks alot for the help!
    01-28-12 02:52 PM
    So if i understand you right - if I be patient more and more apps gonna be able to download on app world. But how do i know if the apps ar android apps or not when i'm in app world?
    You don't know and that's the point. An app is an app, it just works. Some of them mention Android in the description.

But whats the plan about all this that playbook will support android apps, in a few month i will be able to go in to say WhatsApp :: Download and download whatsapp.apk and just open it in "default" mode on the playbook and run it?
    You'll never be able to do that. The only way to install apps on the PlayBook is App World or developer mode (but that's really not meant for general use, called developer for a reason).

Much of RIM's security depends on code signing, and that's a BlackBerry-only feature. APKs aren't code signed.

In addition, most Android apps don't work on the PlayBook. So letting people do that wouldn't work out very well. A lot of users complaining about broken things.
    01-28-12 05:18 PM
    To find the android apps, search for handster in appworld.
    01-28-12 05:28 PM
    Is it safe to try this beta OS 2 or should I wait for the official release? Will it delete everything I have on here?
    01-28-12 05:51 PM
    Thanks for that taylortbb.

Thanks alot for the help!
    well...you won't ever be able to use 'whatsapp' on your playbook because 'whatsapp' requires you have telephone capability to function. It does NOT work off wifi.
    PB is wifi only.

On top of that, 'whatsapp' is not even available for the iPad.

No matter what BB does the 'whatsapp' developers have not made it available for these devices. You also have to go through quite a process to make it available on a native android tablet because you need telephone service for it to work.
    1dmbhonkey likes this.
    01-28-12 07:43 PM
    Is it safe to try this beta OS 2 or should I wait for the official release? Will it delete everything I have on here?
    OS2 is in development mode for developers. beta means a lot of things don't work right now.
    I am going to wait for the official OS2 to come out.

If you do load the OS2 you will loose what you have.

Hope this helps!
    01-28-12 07:50 PM
    Everything?? I made a back up of all my stuff with the BB desktop manager. I've purchased about a handful of apps, you're saying that installing the update will delete everything or just make it so the apps don't work? Will it carry over my pictures and stuff or will I need to load it back?
    01-28-12 08:03 PM
    At this point I'd just wait the 3-4 weeks. The beta does break a lot of things. I have my browser crash on me sometimes, video chat doesn't work, some apps don't work, etc.

While it's much better than earlier betas and most things do work I don't see a reason to upgrade early unless you really need Android apps.

Upgrading to the beta does not erase your data. However, RIM's generally recommended procedure when upgrading from a beta to a release version is that you do a security wipe. A security wipe will wipe out all your settings/apps/photos/music/etc. It's possible upgrades from the beta to release will be possible without doing that, but it will be considered unsupported and not well tested. If you don't want to have to possibly deal with that just wait.
    Sesami likes this.
    01-28-12 08:36 PM
    Thanks alot for all the help Taylor byrnes & 3lionsbecks!
    01-28-12 10:20 PM
    just a quick question,

does anyone have a list of the android apps that are in app world on OS2.0?
    01-28-12 10:21 PM
    does anyone have a list of the android apps that are in app world on OS2.0?
    There's hundreds, quite possibly thousands, and App World doesn't exactly have an "export list" feature. App World also doesn't tell you which apps are Android. There's some obvious signs, anything from Handster is, but there's no sure fire way to know.
    01-28-12 11:10 PM

Can you maybe answer this question .. I've just googled "top android apps for playbook ..."
    and i saw this aTorrent app that someone tryed and recommended ..
    ( http://crackberry.com/top-10-android...berry-playbook )

But i can't find it on the app store? what i'm doing wrong? jailbroken playbook? why the he** can't everything be out for everyone insted of this complicated jailbrokes and roooted things

For exempel are that aTorrent ever gonna be out for a regular costumer like me or do i have to jailbreak it before i can download the 'good' apps? thanks
    02-07-12 11:20 AM
    Can you maybe answer this question .. I've just googled "top android apps for playbook ..."
    and i saw this aTorrent app that someone tryed and recommended ..
    ( http://crackberry.com/top-10-android...berry-playbook )

But i can't find it on the app store? what i'm doing wrong? jailbroken playbook? why the he** can't everything be out for everyone insted of this complicated jailbrokes and roooted things

For exempel are that aTorrent ever gonna be out for a regular costumer like me or do i have to jailbreak it before i can download the 'good' apps? thanks

lol are yoU SERIOUS?????!!!?!?!!!?!?!
    1dmbhonkey likes this.
    02-07-12 11:27 AM
    Not jailbreak... Update and then sideload. You put PB in developer mode and move atorrent .bar to the PB using a program called DDPB. Vivid instructions are all around the place. It's super easy.
    02-07-12 11:37 AM
    lol are yoU SERIOUS?????!!!?!?!!!?!?!

Haha, I'm not actually. I don't understand a shi* of this. And we don't have any support in sweden for it so it's almost the samething that i know how to make swedish meatballs and you probably not
    02-07-12 11:39 AM
    Not jailbreak... Update and then sideload. You put PB in developer mode and move atorrent .bar to the PB using a program called DDPB. Vivid instructions are all around the place. It's super easy.

but my more important question are, is this the way it gonna be all time? Or will RIM in some update fix so we dont have to sideload everything? because i rather wait .. if somethings happend and a technical as me have to send it to JFK to get support and thats going to take long time!
    02-07-12 11:43 AM
    Certain apps will likely not make it to PB anytime soon, such as atorrent. You will always have to sideload some apps because they won't be offered officially.

My favorite top 5 apps were all sideloaded.

Takes under one minute per app to add it to PB.
    02-07-12 11:53 AM
    Certain apps will likely not make it to PB anytime soon, such as atorrent. You will always have to sideload some apps because they won't be offered officially.

My favorite top 5 apps were all sideloaded.

Takes under one minute per app to add it to PB.

you convinced me, could you PLEASE help me over a chat/pm or something? so i can use this 1000 dollar plaything to do anything good ..
    Cause honestly you lost me at sideload :/
    02-07-12 11:56 AM
    Honestly, not offense, but sideloading may just be to much for you to get. Maybe you should just wait for OS 2 update. Everything will be erased when the update happens.

If you really want to learn how to do it google:

PlayBook sideloading android apps DDPB

The instructions are very stright-forward.

http://crackberry.com/how-sideload-a...oid-app-player
    02-07-12 12:09 PM
    Honestly, not offense, but sideloading may just be to much for you to get. Maybe you should just wait for OS 2 update. Everything will be erased when the update happens.

If you really want to learn how to do it google:

PlayBook sideloading android apps DDPB

The instructions are very stright-forward.

http://crackberry.com/how-sideload-a...oid-app-player

Thanks alot aloon69
    I'm actually trying this out! I will tell you how it goes if your interested haha.

if I'm in some way would get in to work do you have any programs that recommend?
    your 5 favourit that you talked about ..

i did get it to work btw thanks!!!
    02-08-12 09:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD