I installed the latest OS2 update, 7111. Is there a source of converted Android aps that I can install? Through AppWorld or other source?

Any idea if the released OS2 will have an updated PDF reader with search and bookmarks? The Nook has this - seems that Rim could also get it particularly since they are using an Adobe Air layer.

Has anyone ported over the Kindle reader for Android so it can be used on the PB with OS2?

Since this post I have side loaded Kindle, Economist application, & Repligo Reader. All work more-or-less (some hangs, glitches etc.) HOWEVER - now the battery runs down in about 10 hours even with it not being used. It is also warm on the back all the time. Something is staying active in the background which should not be.

Anyone know if this is because these applications were not approved by RIM or something else?
    Last edited by jgrobertson; 01-26-12 at 05:05 PM. Reason: New Information.
    01-21-12 01:05 PM
    With the beta you can see Android apps that are in App World.
    01-21-12 01:13 PM
    There are also several threads listing Android Apps that have been converted to .bar files.
    01-21-12 01:25 PM
    I installed the latest OS2 update, 7111. Is there a source of converted Android aps that I can install? Through AppWorld or other source?

Any idea if the released OS2 will have an updated PDF reader with search and bookmarks? The Nook has this - seems that Rim could also get it particularly since they are using an Adobe Air layer.

Has anyone ported over the Kindle reader for Android so it can be used on the PB with OS2?
    There are some android apps in App World at the moment, not many good ones tbh. The better ones have been converted by forum members and have to be sideloaded.
    Repligo Reader is a converted Android app that works well, and yes, Kindle works well too.

Try this thread for apps:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=7049479#post7049479
    blockbuy likes this.
    01-21-12 01:30 PM
    01-21-12 07:10 PM
    Please tell me that the Kindle app you speak of was placed on App World, and doesn't have to be "side loaded" once the official OS 2.0 is out?
    01-22-12 02:33 PM

Technically yes, you can see all the Android applications that have been submitted and accepted in App-World.
    01-22-12 02:49 PM
    Please tell me that the Kindle app you speak of was placed on App World, and doesn't have to be "side loaded" once the official OS 2.0 is out?
    Okay, consider yourself not told that the Kindle (Android) app will not be in App World unless the author (Amazon) converts the app, signs the app, and then submits the app to RIM.

For those who want to be told, I'll phrase it this way: If Amazon does not submit a version to RIM before the official OS2 is out, then Kindle will not be available in app world.
    01-22-12 02:56 PM
    If Kindle app had been on the Playbook from day one, it would be selling well at the $200 - $300 price range, IMHO.
    01-24-12 11:27 AM
    If Kindle app had been on the Playbook from day one, it would be selling well at the $200 - $300 price range, IMHO.
    I agree. I assumed that a company of the stature of RIM would never introduce a tablet that did not have readers for Kindle & Nook as well as a first class PDF reader. I would have bought a Nook instead of the Playbook had I known that these applications were not present.

I liked the idea of the BB email and calendar being visible on the Playbook without my having to pay AT&T more. Unfortunately, RIM, responded to this as a deficiency rather than an asset (maybe that pushed by the carriers who would would not carry the PB without being able to charge an extra fee).
    01-26-12 05:00 PM
    Personally, after trying kindle reader and a dozen others, including paid for ones from appworld (a waste of cash) ... Sideload android reader Gobooks is everything I need and want. It even has sweet page-turning animation.

The trick with any book-reader is to save your ebooks in a folder that it can access , and in a format your favorite reader can understand such as .epub

Calibre is a free ebook manager that does the converting of the books and saves them to your PB.

Also I use Winamp from android, which is much better than the stock player and for FTP I use AndFTP which allows folder downloads, awesome, something liteFTP that I bought for 3.99 can't do.

I attached a few screenshots of gobooks in action. It can easily be found on any of those .bar lists floating around.
    Last edited by aloon69; 01-26-12 at 05:46 PM.
    01-26-12 05:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD