I received a new 32GB Playbook for Christmas, which I have generally enjoyed. However, as I get into this device; I am starting to realize the limited apps access everyone complains about. I have side loaded several Android apps with mixed success. Currently, I cannot get Watch ESPN, Time Warner Cable (TWC), iBotta, or Checkout 51 to work properly. Watch ESPN hangs up when I try to view video. TWC says that my version is out of date, but I cannot find a more recent version. IBotta crashes when I try to take a picture of a receipt, and Checkout 51 crashes similarly. Has anyone had any success or similar results with these apps? Thanks.
    01-16-14 09:22 AM
    Go to these websites for working android apps on the playbook:
    Blackberry Playbook and BB10 Android Apps
    PlayBook .apk to .bar converter
    01-16-14 09:28 AM
    I received a new 32GB Playbook for Christmas, which I have generally enjoyed. However, as I get into this device; I am starting to realize the limited apps access everyone complains about. I have side loaded several Android apps with mixed success. Currently, I cannot get Watch ESPN, Time Warner Cable (TWC), iBotta, or Checkout 51 to work properly. Watch ESPN hangs up when I try to view video. TWC says that my version is out of date, but I cannot find a more recent version. IBotta crashes when I try to take a picture of a receipt, and Checkout 51 crashes similarly. Has anyone had any success or similar results with these apps? Thanks.
    Sideloading is a hit/miss event. It's/was about 50 percent done, but not finished and will never be. You can go to Goodereader and get already converted apps, or youcan convert your own, but still a hit/miiss.

I have only gotton 2 "ANDY" apps to sideload stable, Eye-Fi being the most useful. I spent 129 bucks on a Hisense Sero Pro to run Andy Apps........

c
    01-16-14 10:10 AM
    I wanted to use Checkout 51 on my PB too, but I could never get it to work. As others have said here, Android apps on the PB are hit or miss.

That said, I have many useful sideloads on my PB: Songza, D7 Reader (for Feedly), Crackle (free movies/shows!), Mapquest, Duolingo, QPDF Reader, Ghost Commander, Max Capacity Training, Kijiji, and a few games.

For streaming, your best bet (if you can) is to stream within the browser if possible. Try Origami Browser for a browser that gives you a lot more functionality than the stock one.

HTH, and hope you can get some usefulness out of the PB for what it is.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    01-16-14 10:18 AM