I believe this is likely to happen...the PB is not selling well and next quarter's sales figures will be even lower. I predict PB will be discontinued by YE.

Analyst: RIM's PlayBook to go the way of HP's TouchPad - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech
    09-16-11 11:53 AM
    nah...RIM has enough money to pump into this to develop it to let it go down...people are impatient..the same whiners will come crawling and begging to get one of those in the near future...
    09-16-11 12:03 PM
    nah...RIM has enough money to pump into this to develop it to let it go down...people are impatient..the same whiners will come crawling and begging to get one of those in the near future...
    Actually, they're running out of cash at a rapid rate. They only have enough to last a couple of quarters at most. They burned through about $800 million in the past quarter. (Actual total was $1.4 billion, with the rest going to the Nortel patents). Lastly, their cash flow plummeted over 10% last quarter.
    09-16-11 12:16 PM
    Look at it this way - if RIM were to suddenly cancel the Playbook tomorrow, what would their be for devs to develop QNX apps on? With Tablet OS 2.0 RIM is going to tell devs that they can develop for the Playbook now and have their apps run with slight modification on the next gen phones. That in itself will be a significant reason for devs to code for the Playbook...

RIM also knows that they need to be patient. Sales aren't significant now, but they will be in the future when the QNX phones are released.
    09-16-11 12:17 PM
    Actually, they're running out of cash at a rapid rate. They only have enough to last a couple of quarters at most. They burned through about $800 million in the past quarter. (Actual total was $1.4 billion, with the rest going to the Nortel patents). Lastly, their cash flow plummeted over 10% last quarter.
    We all knew the last quarter was going to be a stinker - they didn't have anything to sell. However, with the next quarter they'll be able to report on OS 7 sales and I'll bet that the outlook will be much brighter. Hopefully they can get their hype machine into full gear with the QNX phones and everyone will be cautiously happy.
    09-16-11 12:19 PM
    09-16-11 12:19 PM
    Yup.

But sale tanked with the news of the new phones..

Wait till q4 before making writing them off. Things may bounce with strong os 7 device sales.. And if they relaunch the playbook with OS2 and can receive positive reviews it may drive sales throughout the holiday season. Hopefully a price cut will be involved to make it more appealing to people looking at the ipad.

QNX os on the playbook is awesome.. But the apps that consumers as well as myself want are missing.

I was using a HTC evo 3d for the last two weeks and there are plenty of fun apps that i can kill time with. Angry birds is free as well as the eyecandy live backgrounds and animations. Its will suck alot of people in.. The UI got to me after awhile and i'm now trying out a 9810.

If the playbook relaunches with Netflix, Twitter, Angry birds, Kindle, IT apps (rpd etc) and a plethora of other apps (android player or whatever) Playbook sales may take off..

In My eyes its the lack of apps and native email, spell check etc that is stopping people from grabbing it.

I have a love hate relatioship with mine.
    arielius likes this.
    09-16-11 12:21 PM
    With Tablet OS 2.0 RIM is going to tell devs that they can develop for the Playbook now and have their apps run with slight modification on the next gen phones. That in itself will be a significant reason for devs to code for the Playbook...
    No, it won't. Remember, RIM's sold 170+ million phones and yet in two years there are as many apps in App World as there are in the 10-month old WP7 store, even though WP7 devices are barely selling (probably less than 5 million since launch). If developers aren't all that interested in reaching BBs 70 million phone subscribers, why would they care about a few hundred thousand PlayBooks and phones that aren't coming until next year?
    09-16-11 12:22 PM
    Yikes RIM's track record isn't very good...Storm 1, Storm 2, PB, delayed QNX phones, lack of dual core phones. No meaningful app store. I am not sure why people have so much confidence in RIM. RIM's history doesn't support the optimism among many forum posters.
    09-16-11 12:29 PM
    What can we expect?? The writer has a bias toward Apple

The writer's bio says

" Elmer-DeWitt believes that an ounce of skepticism never hurts when writing about the company. He should know. He's been covering Apple - and watching Steve Jobs operate -- since 1982. "

There is still investor confidence. Though the stock is down in value, today (16Sept11) RIMM stock is above it's low point one month ago
    Last edited by mandony; 09-16-11 at 12:34 PM.
    09-16-11 12:30 PM
    They burnt through 800mil because of the Nortel patents they bought.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-11 12:39 PM

What about the other $800 million?
    09-16-11 12:42 PM
    Yup.

But sale tanked with the news of the new phones..

Wait till q4 before making writing them off. Things may bounce with strong os 7 device sales.. And if they relaunch the playbook with OS2 and can receive positive reviews it may drive sales throughout the holiday season. Hopefully a price cut will be involved to make it more appealing to people looking at the ipad.

QNX os on the playbook is awesome.. But the apps that consumers as well as myself want are missing.

I was using a HTC evo 3d for the last two weeks and there are plenty of fun apps that i can kill time with. Angry birds is free as well as the eyecandy live backgrounds and animations. Its will suck alot of people in.. The UI got to me after awhile and i'm now trying out a 9810.

If the playbook relaunches with Netflix, Twitter, Angry birds, Kindle, IT apps (rpd etc) and a plethora of other apps (android player or whatever) Playbook sales may take off..

In My eyes its the lack of apps and native email, spell check etc that is stopping people from grabbing it.

I have a love hate relatioship with mine.
    You're forgetting about the impending release of the iPhone 5. Everything points to the iPhone 5 absolutely massacring RIM in the next couple of weeks.
    09-16-11 12:43 PM
    I believe this is likely to happen...the PB is not selling well and next quarter's sales figures will be even lower. I predict PB will be discontinued by YE.

Analyst: RIM's PlayBook to go the way of HP's TouchPad - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech
    This has already been posted twice now.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...uchpad-649987/

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 09-16-11 at 12:49 PM.
    09-16-11 12:44 PM
    2.9 bil to 1.4 bil is a lot more than 800 mil. 700 was nortel, where did the rest go?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    09-16-11 12:45 PM
    2.9 bil to 1.4 bil is a lot more than 800 mil. 700 was nortel, where did the rest go?
    Severance packages, keeping the lights on, research and development and launching a new product line. Where have you been?
    09-16-11 12:55 PM
    Its funny, you say that like they burn thru half their cash every quarter. If that seems normal to you I suppose that's okay.

Severance packages, keeping the lights on, research and development and launching a new product line. Where have you been?

09-16-11 01:01 PM
    Its funny, you say that like they burn thru half their cash every quarter. If that seems normal to you I suppose that's okay.

It's normal when your company is failing...the burn rate is looking similar to Solyndra.
    xandermac likes this.
    09-16-11 01:06 PM
    If you hadn't noticed, they didn't do anything in the previous quarter that MADE money, so of course they spent what they had. Do you think product launches are cheap? You tie up a LOT of money in unsold devices during the manufacturing process, for example, which would have happened during that quarter.
    09-16-11 01:15 PM
    They didn't do anything ALL YEAR to make money, it took 8 months to actually release a 2011 phone! Again, if you think this is typical behavior thats okay. All the others can bank cash while RIM spend theirs because "they didn't do anything in the previous quarter that MADE money"

If you hadn't noticed, they didn't do anything in the previous quarter that MADE money
    09-16-11 01:18 PM
    They didn't do anything ALL YEAR to make money, it took 8 months to actually release a 2011 phone! Again, if you think this is typical behavior thats okay. All the others can bank cash while RIM spend theirs because "they didn't do anything in the previous quarter that MADE money"
    they worked pretty hard to make some outdated phones...think about that...RIM's best effort under extreme duress was to produce phones with yesterday's specs...that is tragic.
    09-16-11 01:28 PM
    So is "analyst" the common term to describe know-nothing, ***** bloggers now? Must be the new thing. Like in the 80's every rapper out there was throwing the word "Dr." in their name.
    09-16-11 01:34 PM
    Agreed, I have or have had pretty much every phone they've made & I have absolutely no desire to buy any of these oS7 devices knowing they're already obsolete. I'm waiting for qnx, hopefully later this year, which will really **** off the OS7 buyers.

they worked pretty hard to make some outdated phones...think about that...RIM's best effort under extreme duress was to produce phones with yesterday's specs...that is tragic.
    09-16-11 01:34 PM
    Oh NOES! Blackberry phones dont have quad core processors, with 8GB of RAM and a 1GB video chip. Gimme a break.

What are you doing on your phone that a 1.2 GHz processor and 3/4 of a gig of RAM cant handle?

Sounds to me like you should be using a droid. Better yet - please take all of your BB's and promptly throw them in the trash. Then proceed to your nearest verizon store and get yourself a droid x2.
    09-16-11 01:37 PM
    It has nothing to do with that, spec wise they're ok. It's the fact that RIM have said they're a stopgap until QNX, which is only a matter of months away. Why buy something for $600 (on t-mobile anyway) that has already been dismissed?

Oh NOES! Blackberry phones dont have quad core processors, with 8GB of RAM and a 1GB video chip. Gimme a break.

What are you doing on your phone that a 1.2 GHz processor and 3/4 of a gig of RAM cant handle?

Sounds to me like you should be using a droid. Better yet - please take all of your BB's and promptly throw them in the trash. Then proceed to your nearest verizon store and get yourself a droid x2.
    09-16-11 01:41 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD