Let's see how old you guys really are. Do you all remember the Osborne? 2 5 1/4 floppy disk drives in a case that looked like a sewing machine.
    !!
    I don't recall the Osborne. in 1979 I was working on government electronics contacts. The company had mainframe IBM 360's ... but the engineers were excited to get desktop Wangs or maybe HP's. These were far less sophisticated than the current $100 student calculators. Before FD's I did use punch cards for 'stored data'
    10-05-11 08:23 PM
    Wouldn't that be OSx, kind of why I don't like the rebranding to BBX. I don't use apple products either. BTW rip Jobs, just because I don't like apple products doesn't mean he wasn't a brilliant man and I wanted anything to happen to him.
    10-05-11 08:25 PM
    The job card. Named after the late Steve.
    10-05-11 08:28 PM
    Wouldn't that be OSx, kind of why I don't like the rebranding to BBX. I don't use apple products either. BTW rip Jobs, just because I don't like apple products doesn't mean he wasn't a brilliant man and I wanted anything to happen to him.
    It's called MacOS. OSx was number 10. It's a roman thing, shouldn't be confused with BBX since their X comes from QNX (which probably came from POSIX)
    10-05-11 08:43 PM
    For really old school tech nerds. Let's see (1) who gets it and (2) who agrees:

Commodore:Amiga::RIM:QNX

I love the tablet, and the OS on here is great. Years from now, I could easily see one of RIM's biggest legacies being the QNX operating system. I'd love to see it working on a full-scale laptop as well as a phone.
    This isn't a good analogy... Commodore was the company, and the Amiga was the hardware platform. RIM is the company yet QNX is software.

If you would have replaced Amiga with Workbench then your analogy might be better, but not really. As much as I liked my Amigas as a kid, Workbench - although groundbreaking at the time - never really did work all that well and would crash if you looked at it the wrong way. Anyone else here remember the "Guru Meditation" (Microsoft's inspiration for the BSOD) that would pop up at seemingly random times for no apparent reason? QNX is rock solid, and has been for a very long time. To compare it with Workbench is silly.

Just in case you have never seen it before, this was always the message you were frightened to see as an Amiga user:

10-05-11 08:49 PM
    It's called MacOS. OSx was number 10. It's a roman thing, shouldn't be confused with BBX since their X comes from QNX (which probably came from POSIX)
    Ah yes, I knew that but forgot and didn't feel like looking it up lol. Then there is snowleapard and lion and such unless I'm not remembering right on that either.
    10-05-11 08:55 PM
    I wouldn't be so sure about that... The next major number for RIM after 99xx is 10000, so X applies to it too. It's convenient to say BB + QNX = BBX but I'm not entirely sure I believe it.
    10-05-11 08:58 PM
    I wouldn't be so sure about that... The next major number for RIM after 99xx is 10000, so X applies to it too. It's convenient to say BB + QNX = BBX but I'm not entirely sure I believe it.
    So the superphone BOLD will be the X000?
    10-05-11 10:14 PM
    So the superphone BOLD will be the X000?
    I think they're done with numbers, because anything over 10 000 is a bit of a mouthful. In the future it will be more like "BBX <Model name>", such as BBX Colt.
    10-05-11 10:20 PM
    Bad analogy.
    A better analogy is
    Windows 98/Macintosh OS 8.0 : Windows 7.0/iOS : QNX/iOS

BOTH evolved into successful operating systems.
    wtf does Amiga have to do with anything?

The OS died with the computer.

How about amiga/webOS
    I don't think I ever explained myself well on this point. Here is what I meant:

CBM (Commodore Business Machines):Amiga::RIM:QNX

Commodore was a company of Canadian origin that at one time jut about owned the PC market - the Commodore 64 is by some measures still the best-selling computer model of all time (there are lots of Windows XP machines, for example, but no individual make/model outsells the old C64).

Commodore was a company that started to falter when, to a degree, it became trapped by its own success, having built a customer base who demanded next-generation compatibility for the large external hardware and software collections they had build to support their C64s. This led Commodore to continue to try to fit itself inside the "box" of the C64, and also contributed to a failure to keep up with the ever-increasing computing power of the competition. So, success bred a failure to innovate.

Commodore eventually attempted to close the gap between itself and its competitors on the innovation front by buying what they could not produce themselves - thus they acquired the little-known Amiga and made it part of their brand.

Enthusiasts for many years insisted that the Amiga was ahead of its time, revolutionary, better than the competition, but its high price point and Commodore's poor marketing, combined with the sliding market position that Commodore found itself holding because of the public's assocation of the brand name with their now-outmoded C64's, prevented the Amiga from rescuing Commodore as a company.

So we have RIM. A Canadian company that once owned the smartphone market through its BlackBerry line of products. However, its failure to innovate (though not for the same reasons as Commodore) left it in a position where it essentially has tried to buy what it has not been able to produce: a TRULY next-gen operating system (QNX). Now, just as Commodore did with Amiga, RIM has tried to make QNX its own, doing what seems already to be a better job than Commodore in this regard.

QNX's/BB 10's/Playbook 2.0's enthusiasts vociferously argue that it is an OS ahead of its time, has superior architecture to its competitors, etc.

The question now is: will QNX/BB 10 be enough to save RIM, unlike Amiga, which failed to save Commodore? Or, perhaps more fairly to both QNX and Amiga in this analogy, will RIM succeed in marketing the genius product that they have acquired and used well enough to save themselves, in a way that Commodore failed to do with Amiga?

One good sign: Commodore never exactly made the Amiga the sole focus of its business, instead trying to keep the C64 legacy alive (through the C128 and the never-released C-65) while simultaneously trying to sell the Amiga. BlackBerry wisely plans to merge the old BlackBerry OS with QNX in BlackBerry 10 (or, perhaps more accurately, eliminate the old BlackBerry OS).

Time shall tell.
    09-20-12 03:32 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD