For really old school tech nerds. Let's see (1) who gets it and (2) who agrees:

Commodore:Amiga::RIM:QNX

I love the tablet, and the OS on here is great. Years from now, I could easily see one of RIM's biggest legacies being the QNX operating system. I'd love to see it working on a full-scale laptop as well as a phone.
    10-04-11 11:01 AM
    I hope you are wrong. I would really like to see RIM and QNX succeed. But it is really all about marketing. Add IBM's OS2 to your Commodore Amiga comparison.
    10-04-11 11:22 AM
    Yep, been there, bet on those too.

The fact that I thought those two technologies were so awesome is about the only thing that actually reduces my confidence about the PlayBook.

Third time's the charm?
    10-04-11 12:11 PM
    OP, you made an interesting observation.

My first computer was a Commodore 64 so I understand where you are coming from.
    You are giving things difficult to compare.

The hardware for the 64 was less sophisticated compared with the IBM PC's of the same time. The PB's hardware appears to be state of the art.
    On the other hand, the Amiga's AmigaOS was a simple OS compared to IBMDOS. The QNX OS, appears to be advanced but needs tweaking to make it fully functional for advance tablet and phone needs. Because of the quality of QNX, if RIM is not successful with it, then, it will live on with further advances for use by other makers

Peter9477, I agree. I hope that you and I will increase 'confidence' when PB's OS2 is released
    Last edited by mandony; 10-04-11 at 05:47 PM.
    10-04-11 05:32 PM
    RIM reminds me more of Atari when they released the Jaguar Console. It was the first true 64-bit console to market and way ahead of the game in terms of hardware specs, but the problem came down to poor marketing and developer support (sound familiar?). The Jaguar console was Atari's last gasp.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-11 07:15 PM
    I hear Commodore are still going. Amazing.
    10-04-11 08:25 PM
    It's not really the same commodore. There are rights that were bought and designs that were rendered, including existing PC + Keyboard combinations that have been used by commodore USA marketing.
    10-05-11 12:47 AM
    I remember the Amiga well. One kid had it at school and he was the envy. That thing was so far ahead of its time. Things that come to mind when I think Playbook/QNX:

Sega Saturn
    Neo-Geo
    Atari Lynx
    10-05-11 02:34 AM
    Nah, the analogy doesn't really hold up... One is a computer and the other is an operating system.

And saying that Qnx will be RIMs greatest legacy is nonsense. You do realize that the BB Tablet OS has very little to do with Qnx, right? And it's not a RIM invention its been around for over 20 years. (And will be around a long time after RIM is gone!)
    10-05-11 03:08 AM
    For an analogy try Betamax Vs VHS (if you are old enough!..lol)

A clear example of content winning over performance
    10-05-11 09:18 AM

Sure, Betamax did offer better video performance in most cases, but a shorter tape length and higher price were also key factors. My father decided to record a TV miniseries the year after the original Betamax machine shipped (which he purchased), and it required 10 tapes to record 10 hours of video.
    Last edited by Economist101; 10-05-11 at 09:38 AM.
    10-05-11 09:36 AM
    Ipad/phone : Ios ?
    This is also a fully proprietary pair ...
    Let's look at the future !
    10-05-11 10:11 AM
    Perhaps the better analogy (while not as historically interesting) would be: Windows XP/Windows 7? Better/Best? Very long history/very bright future? I know there are lots of examples where the better technology died out, but there are clearly countless examples where the better technology took off. The Windows analogy even gives you the extra bonus of being able to throw Vista in there to line up with QNX OS1, with QNX OS2 HOPEFULLY being the "best" solution (please God, come out already, and be all that we hope you will be...).
    10-05-11 10:35 AM
    And saying that Qnx will be RIMs greatest legacy is nonsense. You do realize that the BB Tablet OS has very little to do with Qnx, right? And it's not a RIM invention its been around for over 20 years. (And will be around a long time after RIM is gone!)
    False.

The QNX tablet OS is fully QNX. A new application for it but same the microkernel and prioritized real time OS featuring exemplary thread handling and processor allocation.

QNX is now RIM.
    10-05-11 10:43 AM
    Bad analogy.
    A better analogy is
    Windows 98/Macintosh OS 8.0 : Windows 7.0/iOS : QNX/iOS

BOTH evolved into successful operating systems.
    wtf does Amiga have to do with anything?

The OS died with the computer.

How about amiga/webOS
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-05-11 at 01:53 PM.
    10-05-11 12:01 PM
    Bad analogy.
    A better analogy is
    Windows 98/Macintosh OS 8.0 : Windows 7.0/iOS : QNX/iOS
    I'm going to head out on a limb and assume you meant "Windows 7/ OS X" since otherwise your comment doesn't make any sense.
    10-05-11 12:03 PM

Another bad analogy.
    The market only had room for one video tape standard.

There is plenty of room for multiple successful operating systems, and there are, always have been..
    They can co-exist. It's not a mutually exclusive, either/or type of thing.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-05-11 at 01:30 PM.
    peter9477 likes this.
    10-05-11 12:04 PM
    I'm going to head out on a limb and assume you meant "Windows 7/ OS X" since otherwise your comment doesn't make any sense.
    You're on a limb. The comment makes sense. The point is the operating systems can all be successful and co-exist and evolve in parallel..I cited successful operating systems.
    10-05-11 12:05 PM
    Let's see how old you guys really are. Do you all remember the Osborne? 2 5 1/4 floppy disk drives in a case that looked like a sewing machine.

I think it's too early to think QNX has failed. But I have to say, my Playbook is sitting in my shop in it's cradle. I use it to play music and I love the Antair clock .. really a great app. Maybe after OS 2 .. I can really use this thing. Darn good clock though!!
    You should give/lend it to someone that would use it. What a waste. I do not not recall the Osborne by name but have worked on the compaq suit case that weighed a ton.
    10-05-11 01:05 PM
    Let's see how old you guys really are. Do you all remember the Osborne? 2 5 1/4 floppy disk drives in a case that looked like a sewing machine.

I think it's too early to think QNX has failed. But I have to say, my Playbook is sitting in my shop in it's cradle. I use it to play music and I love the Antair clock .. really a great app. Maybe after OS 2 .. I can really use this thing. Darn good clock though!!
    Posted from my peerless Blackberry Playbook.
    10-05-11 01:07 PM
    wow I hate to admit to being old, but what about the first Grid Convertible Tablet? (tablets are not new)
    It was one of the first tablets - monochrome display and a touch pen stylus running Windows 3.0 - the display folds up to reveal a nice keyboard. I wish RIM would have done this with the Playbook:

I actually have one if anyone is interested in buying it.....complete with external 3.5 inch floppy drive...
    I'll trade you for that 'useless" Playbook artsheart...you must not have wifi if that's all you use it for.

http://articles.directorym.com/The_1...e-a800425.html

I remember the Osborne from when I was a young college intern.. that was the late 80's right? (I'm not THAT old)

One of the engineers proudly brought it to work and took it home with him every day before laptops.... We thought he was such a nerd. (well he was) Not even a hard drive and booted on what, 500K floppys? Yikes.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-05-11 at 02:38 PM.
    10-05-11 01:37 PM
    You're on a limb. The comment makes sense. The point is the operating systems can all be successful and co-exist and evolve in parallel..I cited successful operating systems.
    I get that as the "point," but when you say "Windows 7.0/iOS" you're countering an argument that no one's made, which is that the market can't support a successful desktop OS and a mobile OS at the same time. It's like saying that the market supported two successful tape formats in the 80s, VHS and audio cassettes, and that therefore multiple formats can coexist.
    10-05-11 03:34 PM
    I get that as the "point," but when you say "Windows 7.0/iOS" you're countering an argument that no one's made, which is that the market can't support a successful desktop OS and a mobile OS at the same time. It's like saying that the market supported two successful tape formats in the 80s, VHS and audio cassettes, and that therefore multiple formats can coexist.
    Ok Windows 7.0 and whatever Macs run on. Don't all Macs run iOS, don't know, don't care but I'm sure people get the point. You're honestly going to make me tear my hair out with your knitpicking, perhaps that is your intent....I have a headache.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-05-11 04:11 PM
    I learned on a tandy coco with 64k of ram! And the 5mb hard drive was the size of a small shoe box.
    10-05-11 07:40 PM
    ios on mobile devices. U can put your hair back in lol
    OK my bad - what is the OS that runs on MAC desktops/laptops then, that's what I meant. I left MACs when I found them even more frustrating than PC's about ten years ago - despite the "hype".
    10-05-11 08:22 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD