There is a movie I would like to watch but the video store on the Playbook does not have it. Amazon Video on Demand does. Can I download it through the website on the browser on the playbook and be able to watch it? Is their video store compatible? Anyone ever done it and if so, how do the movies look and work on the playbook? If anyone can advise, that would be great!
    lewcat likes this.
    11-30-12 07:56 AM
    I use Amazon to to stream movies, have not bought one and down loaded it. Video on demand works great for renting movies depending on your internet connection. The Amazon Prime membership is great compliment to the video store because its cheap and you get a ton of content. They often state that they are 1080 HD only on approved devises, but every movie I have rented is crystal clear. If you buy a movie I'm not sure if it down loads to the devise or is stored in a cloud. Maybe buy a cheap TV episode and test it.
    Mami56 likes this.
    11-30-12 08:07 AM
    I use Amazon to to stream movies, have not bought one and down loaded it. Video on demand works great for renting movies depending on your internet connection. The Amazon Prime membership is great compliment to the video store because its cheap and you get a ton of content. They often state that they are 1080 HD only on approved devises, but every movie I have rented is crystal clear. If you buy a movie I'm not sure if it down loads to the devise or is stored in a cloud. Maybe buy a cheap TV episode and test it.
    Thank you for your response! Where have you watched the movies you downloaded from Amazon? On your computer? I find the selection in the video store a little lacking and would love to watch from Amazon on the playbook!
    Paullamm likes this.
    11-30-12 08:34 AM
    this may be a dumb question, but where is the video store on the PB?
    11-30-12 09:11 AM
    You likely have to download the app from App World. It's called...wait for it...video store.
    11-30-12 09:23 AM
    this may be a dumb question, but where is the video store on the PB?
    There is an icon on your desktop on your Playbook that says "Video Store"...just click on that and it opens up the store which contains movies, television shows, etc.
    11-30-12 09:23 AM
    See that's the thing, I don't have any icons on my Playbook called "Video Store"? I may have deleted it at one time??
    I guess I'll just do what "Alan510" suggested and download it from the app store. And yes my first try will be video store.
    11-30-12 09:36 AM
    See that's the thing, I don't have any icons on my Playbook called "Video Store"? I may have deleted it at one time??
    I guess I'll just do what "Alan510" suggested and download it from the app store. And yes my first try will be video store.
    I wonder why you do not have the icon...but let us know if you were able to find it!
    11-30-12 10:16 AM
    If you haven't organized your apps onto pages and your home screen is full, some apps may be hidden, try scrolling down and see if they appear.
    11-30-12 10:40 AM
    You probably deleted it, it's much more expensive then most options out there and is very limited (or it was 8 months ago) in the amount of content available. So I deleted it at that time....

As for Amazon Prime - the PlayBook was not a supported device, nor could I get it to work when I tried. But I only had the Amazon Prime for the introductory period, and it has been a while. If you have an account and can get it to work, let us all know.
    11-30-12 10:58 AM
    If you haven't organized your apps onto pages and your home screen is full, some apps may be hidden, try scrolling down and see if they appear.
    No, I've looked carefully. I must have deleted it at some point.
    11-30-12 11:01 AM
    I went on Amazon on Demand and rented a video from browser on the playbook and it works perfectly! I took the chance. Otherwise I would have watched it on my laptop but I love watching movies on the playbook with my headphones and tuning out the world LOL.
    FF22, MTL, David in Durham and 1 others like this.
    11-30-12 11:04 AM
    Video Store, Podcasts, Music Store, Kobo, Slackware and NFB are all "regional" apps and are not available worldwide.

Unless, that is, you use a USA proxy and check for updates. If the proxy is solid, you'll get a 1-40mb update with the apps.

Alll apps except Video Store work without a proxy. Video Store will give an error if used without it.
    11-30-12 02:23 PM
    Video Store, Podcasts, Music Store, Kobo, Slackware and NFB are all "regional" apps and are not available worldwide.

Unless, that is, you use a USA proxy and check for updates. If the proxy is solid, you'll get a 1-40mb update with the apps.

Alll apps except Video Store work without a proxy. Video Store will give an error if used without it.
    Just curious, why are they only available in the US? I think the OP is from Canada so that would explain why he does not have the video store, correct? I will get all my movies through Amazon, they are definitely cheaper and the selection is really great and I can watch full screen and they look great. Very happy I tried it.
    11-30-12 02:29 PM
    Just curious, why are they only available in the US? I think the OP is from Canada so that would explain why he does not have the video store, correct? I will get all my movies through Amazon, they are definitely cheaper and the selection is really great and I can watch full screen and they look great. Very happy I tried it.
    Not only in the US, just not worldwidely available. Video Store for Canada, if memory serves me, has to be downloaded through App World. I personally don't know why RIM does that. Too scared of copyright lawsuits I guess. I can buy my songs from 7Digital's site and download them to the PlayBook via Music Store... It took them ages to release Podcasts worldwide for phones and it still isn't worldwide for the PlayBook... Go figure.

As for Amazon Videos.... All my envy to you guys. No proxy in the world seems to crack their location-blocks...
    11-30-12 02:34 PM
    Not only in the US, just not worldwidely available. Video Store for Canada, if memory serves me, has to be downloaded through App World. I personally don't know why RIM does that. Too scared of copyright lawsuits I guess. I can buy my songs from 7Digital's site and download them to the PlayBook via Music Store... It took them ages to release Podcasts worldwide for phones and it still isn't worldwide for the PlayBook... Go figure.

As for Amazon Videos.... All my envy to you guys. No proxy in the world seems to crack their location-blocks...
    So you cannot access Amazon On Demand either?
    11-30-12 02:37 PM
    Thank you for your response! Where have you watched the movies you downloaded from Amazon? On your computer? I find the selection in the video store a little lacking and would love to watch from Amazon on the playbook!
    I stream it through my pb and hdmi it to my flat screen. works great. i use my 9860 as a remote. :-)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    11-30-12 02:40 PM
    I went on Amazon on Demand and rented a video from browser on the playbook and it works perfectly! I took the chance. Otherwise I would have watched it on my laptop but I love watching movies on the playbook with my headphones and tuning out the world LOL.
    Excellent to hear! I felt kinda guilty buying a PB, as I do enjoy watching TV and movies on my Kindle and really didn't want to have to use two tablets now. It'll be great if can watch them on my PB! Does it expand to "full screen" viewing and all?
    andegwa likes this.
    11-30-12 02:41 PM
    So you cannot access Amazon On Demand either?
    Woe is me, right? I'm stuck with crappy flash sites or whatever I can find in Youtube Movies.
    11-30-12 02:42 PM
    I stream Amazon Prime videos on my playbook a lot but I don't have the video store icon on my tablet. It used to be there but it's gone now and it isn't in app world either...at least not for me. I'm in the US so it is a mystery. I didn't realize it until they gave away Sherlock Holmes for free.
    11-30-12 02:49 PM
    Excellent to hear! I felt kinda guilty buying a PB, as I do enjoy watching TV and movies on my Kindle and really didn't want to have to use two tablets now. It'll be great if can watch them on my PB! Does it expand to "full screen" viewing and all?
    Yup, it expands to full screen! I am psyched!!
    11-30-12 02:54 PM
    Woe is me, right? I'm stuck with crappy flash sites or whatever I can find in Youtube Movies.
    Time to move to the USA!
    11-30-12 02:55 PM
    There are COPYRIGHT issues between countries which shows that Intellectual Property law has lagged way behind the global technology!
    diegonei likes this.
    11-30-12 03:57 PM
    I stream Amazon Prime videos on my playbook a lot but I don't have the video store icon on my tablet. It used to be there but it's gone now and it isn't in app world either...at least not for me. I'm in the US so it is a mystery. I didn't realize it until they gave away Sherlock Holmes for free.
    That is odd..especially if you live in the USA...I have it on mine
    11-30-12 04:31 PM
    Hehehe which was nice of them, because I didn't get to watch it in the movies when it was on.

Time to move to the USA!
    Was that an invitation?
    11-30-12 05:21 PM
38 12