This is a reply I got from tech support....

"I am very sorry to hear about the trouble you've had recently while trying to enjoy your Instant Videos.

While Instant Videos may have worked previously on your Playbook, at this time, Amazon Instant Videos cannot be streamed or downloaded to the blackberry playbook tablet.

Amazon Instant Videos can be watched from Kindle Fire or your PC/Mac Web browser. For more information about watching Amazon Instant Videos, visit our Help pages:

http://www.amazon.com/help/watchingamazoninstantvideos

Thanks for your interest in Amazon Instant Video. We look forward to seeing you again soon."

Well, there it is. Yea I know some of you "just watched a show and it worked fine", expect one by one for different streaming features to start kicking back an error.

My guess is that they simply won't look into issues with the PB as they arrive when their own streaming evolves via updates and software changes, and eventually it won't work at all.

So hulu, kindle books... Now strike amazon prime streaming off the list. My guess is that dumb and dumber did too much damage before they were replaced and all blackberry products are blacklisted by the big players.
    03-03-12 06:57 AM
    ALL OF THIS BAD NEWS!
    This is what we are planning to do to Netflix, don't know if it will work with Amazon...

NETFLIX WANTS TO PLAY HARDBALL!
    Even after seeing our petition, Netflix still doesn't want to cooperate!
    Despite Petition, Netflix Says They Won’t Support BlackBerry!
    Looks like we are going to have to have a Netflix BLACKOUT. We must make a date for all of us to unsubscribe, I will make a Twitter account to tell them, they need to get ready for the BLACKOUT!
    Black stands for BlackBerry.
    Out stands for how many users they will be 'out' of.
    03-03-12 07:02 AM
    RIM has a tablet now on their hands they want to sell to consumers and its actually losing features consumers want. You dont have to have a PhD in business to see the danger here.

And nevermind the "oh they are working on project X right now that im not at liberty to divulge because of what my cousin's brother's step-brother's baby sister told me is coming...", because as even Bla1ze mentioned in a forum thread recently, their waiting time is over. Enough with delays and "coming soon", we live in the here and now where the competition is producing results (has official kindle apps, can stream amazon and netflix, etc).
    03-03-12 07:12 AM
    I already BLACKOUT Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Instant Video every day now, but good luck with the campaign, I will support you.
    03-03-12 07:15 AM
    I guess it'll really hurt these companies bottom line and profits to allow another device to access their services. Poor companies. Must be doing so well they don't need or want anymore people paying to use their services unless they use the devices they want you to.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    03-03-12 07:18 AM
    I already BLACKOUT Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Instant Video every day now, but good luck with the campaign, I will support you.
    There are strength in numbers but i do not know if you could find enough numbers available in the playbook community.

I would love to ditch netflix, but cant, my family loves it too much. As for kindle... Well, thats a real sore spot. They have the best library, and i held off buying kindle books until we got an app... Well, here comes the amazon cloud, and i bought a bunch of kindle books. Then the b******* messed that up and all my books return an error message on cloud books as well as downloaded ones. So thats another fail.

I wish the big rim shareholders had forced those two loser, worthless MF's out of their positions sooner before they so tarnished the name "blackberry" that everybody shuns it.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 03-03-12 at 07:22 AM.
    Harley Kid likes this.
    What bridges did RIM burn to have some many content providers going against them?
    What bridges did RIM burn to have some many content providers going against them?
    I think it was the attitude of exclusivity in terms of OS and not wanting to work with software dev's from the word go. Not allowing certain aps to go live when they were clearly ready also has hurt them.

I believe the IM+ app was ready for months and RIM sat back on it for ages not giving it the go ahead.

TuneIn radio never got released despite it being ready or close to ready at one point.

Why would a software dev write for a platform that would prove potentially to be a futile exercise.

If RIM had been inclusive from the word go, I think we would see a healthy BB PB app store right now.

The App store as it stands is as bad as it is embarrassing.
    Siiid, bbfan1040 and ODAAT like this.
    03-03-12 08:08 AM
    Look the simple reason is they amazon wants to sell its product so it blocks PlayBook browser just as hulu and netflix...easy fix is to move to playbook friendly services..I canceled all of my accounts to the non-playbook friendly services I'm not going to buy what they want me to buy to use their services. They have taken and reversed the supply and demand, in an attempt to coerce us into buying what we did not want to begin with. Had we wanted that we would have bought their product. I'm giving no more financial support to these companies that are attempting to blackout playbook...I'm sticking with my playbook...

As we find them we should post them.. Http://www.crackle.com is a good one and is free...totally playbook friendly....
    Last edited by kerry6; 03-03-12 at 08:15 AM.
    Joanne17, alan510, Cee134 and 11 others like this.
    03-03-12 08:11 AM
    Look the simple reason is they amazon wants to sell its product so it blocks PlayBook browser just as hulu and netflix...easy fix is to move to playbook friendly services..I canceled all of my accounts to the non-playbook friendly services I'm not going to buy what they want me to buy to use their services. They have taken and reversed the supply and demand, in an attempt to coerce us into buying what we did not want to begin with. Had we wanted that we would have bought their product. I'm giving no more financial support to these companies that are attempting to blackout playbook...I'm sticking with my playbook...

As we find them we should post them.. Http://www.crackle.com is a good one and is free...totally playbook friendly....
    Completely agree with you, if RIM set up its own services like the Video Store, then my guess is that they're trying to be self-sufficient. Why not create your own services if you cannot make other companies provide goods.

Although Bold, there's are problems : 1. Can they be flexible enough to be diversifying? 2. Can they actually challenge the competition? E.g. BB Video Store vs Netflix.

I really don't know if what id RIM really up to or if this is just a stopgap measure but time will only tell if what happens.
    03-03-12 09:02 AM
    Companies will continue to play these silly games for a while but open always prevails... Remember AOL all those years ago? They built their content fortresses only to have the population move onto the WWW. It will happen again, people will grow tired of paying a single corporation for what they can get for less in an open environment. Amazon and Apple will eventually be small players in digital media we just need to do our part and ignore them.
    Cracklen likes this.
    03-03-12 09:15 AM
    Companies will continue to play these silly games for a while but open always prevails... Remember AOL all those years ago? They built their content fortresses only to have the population move onto the WWW. It will happen again, people will grow tired of paying a single corporation for what they can get for less in an open environment. Amazon and Apple will eventually be small players in digital media we just need to do our part and ignore them.
    You are aware that Amazon's services are available on other platforms right? Amazon a small player in digital media? smdh
    03-03-12 09:21 AM
    So hulu, kindle books... Now strike amazon prime streaming off the list. My guess is that dumb and dumber did too much damage before they were replaced and all blackberry products are blacklisted by the big players.
    I think that the answer is much simpler. They want you to buy a Fire.
    Willard814, Cee134 and vgwillm like this.
    03-03-12 09:31 AM
    This is a reply I got from tech support....

"While Instant Videos may have worked previously on your Playbook, at this time, Amazon Instant Videos cannot be streamed or downloaded to the blackberry playbook tablet.
    This is a completely unacceptable response. My reply was just as terrible but Amazon plays its customers like complete idiots as if their words are the ultimatum, what customer service reps, especially in the tech industry forget is that the customers have the ability to ask "why".
    03-03-12 09:34 AM
    I'm disappointed in Amazon. I've been a customer for many years and I buy a lot of items from Amazon.

If fact I just made another purchase last week and signed up for the Amazon.com credit card.

I seriously love Amazon. I don't get why they are blocking streaming to the PlayBook. I never considered the Kindle Fire because the PlayBook offers the bridge feature.

I was considering a Kindle reader but I may reconsider that decision.

For now, I loaded my purchased DVDs onto my PlayBook. But it's not right that I cannot view my purchased Amazon videos on my tablet.

If there's an Amazon petition on change.org, I'll sign it.

You would think they would WANT to offer Amazon apps and services to PlayBook users. That's more money for them. I don't really understand.

There's not even an Amazon store app for the PlayBook.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 03-03-12 at 09:50 AM.
    03-03-12 09:46 AM
    It is up to RIM to work with these companies to get them on the playbook. It is a small player now in the tablet space and the app won't work on the phones until BB10 phones. RIM obviously has a partnership with Amazon because of the MP3 store. They have a relationship with Skype via Microsoft, because Steve Balmer was up on stage at the last BBW. Going it alone for all services will only further isolate the platform from the rest of the world.
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    03-03-12 09:49 AM
    Just an Fyi, downloaded and watched Spartacus from the blackberry video store and showed my friends, needless to say Very Very Very impressed friends!!!!
    03-03-12 09:56 AM
    Technically Amazon doesn't support the Linux OS either; however, the beauty of Linux is you can code around Amazon and make it work. This is why I am excited about the new Linux tablet "Spark" debuting in May. Totally open hardware and software running the ARM processor.

Three weeks ago, Amazon changed the FLASH rules on its streaming player. Suddenly my Linux machine wouldn't stream movies anymore. I tried updating Flash but it still wouldn't work. So Amazon had effectively locked us Lunix users out too. But, all we had to do was install Hardware Abstraction Layer (Hal) and one library file, and BOOM we had our streaming movies again.

The problem with the Playbook, and others, is proprietary software and drivers owned by others must be licensed to RIM. Not just RIM, anybody. If the owner chooses not to license, there's not much you can do. The Linux community has been trying to get Broadcom to license its driver for open source, for its wireless 4300 series wireless LAN, for years and they never would do it. Why? Who the heck knows? Again in Linux, we programmed around it and forced it to work.

For whatever reason Amazon is playing hardball. Why? Who knows? They do, but they aren't saying. It's too bad RIM won't open up the Playbook for manipulation of the system. But then again, they own the license. . Just my 2 pennies worth. Your results may vary.
    Last edited by rs422a; 03-03-12 at 10:03 AM.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-03-12 09:56 AM
    I think the issue is that you guys are getting your content through legit means
    Jean-luc_Picard likes this.
    03-03-12 09:57 AM
    I prefer getting my content through legit means. I don't mind paying for TV series or a movie or a book. In my opinion, that's the fair way.

So, I'm going to start looking at non Amazon alternatives, like Kobo for books, and BlackBerry video store.
    Chaddface likes this.
    03-03-12 10:00 AM
    What I don't get is Amazon just got praised for the "razor blade" sells scheme. Where the sell the hardware at a loss and make it up in there software/content sells. Seems to me it would be in their benefit to allow there software/content to be on as many platforms as possible so they won't have that hardware loss amount to deal with. Just doesn't make since to blackball BlackBerry when the money is there not just on the playbook but handsets too. Only thing I can think of is someone at rim has pissed off someone at amazon and we are paying for it. Or someone at Amazon don't care about money.
    03-03-12 10:11 AM
    I am an Amazon Prime member. I just got on Amazon Instant Video (3-3-12) and I can watch my library on my PlayBook. Now, I have no understanding why I can and others can't. We have a couple of Fires and PlayBooks in our family. The Fires (and associated Amazon accounts) are under my wife and daughter's email addresses. I don't remember if I logged in to my Amazon account using one of the Fires or not. Is it possible that I did and associated my account as a "Fire" user? All I know is I can STILL read books using Amazon Cloud Reader and watch movies and tv shows on Amazon Instant video with my PlayBook.

It would be an interesting experiment to have someone log in to their Amazon account with a friend or family member's Fire and then see if they can watch content on the PlayBook.
    03-03-12 10:27 AM
    I prefer getting my content through legit means. I don't mind paying for TV series or a movie or a book. In my opinion, that's the fair way.
    Thank you for this post!!
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-03-12 10:32 AM
    I am an Amazon Prime member. I just got on Amazon Instant Video (3-3-12) and I can watch my library on my PlayBook. Now, I have no understanding why I can and others can't. We have a couple of Fires and PlayBooks in our family. The Fires (and associated Amazon accounts) are under my wife and daughter's email addresses. I don't remember if I logged in to my Amazon account using one of the Fires or not. Is it possible that I did and associated my account as a "Fire" user? All I know is I can STILL read books using Amazon Cloud Reader and watch movies and tv shows on Amazon Instant video with my PlayBook.

It would be an interesting experiment to have someone log in to their Amazon account with a friend or family member's Fire and then see if they can watch content on the PlayBook.
    One other thing to add. My Amazon.com bookmark in the browser links to the following url:

""http://www.amazon.com/?tag=playbook-pc-us-20""

I don't know much about urls and HTML but that looks like it knows I am using a PlayBook.
    03-03-12 10:43 AM
    Suggest people do a bit of reading.... A discission by Adobe not ot support flash on mobile platforms any more is what has started all of this.... Amazon has been busy converting all their flash programming to comply with digial copy provisions... As Playbook not longer recieves updates... the current incarnation of FLash is not compatable with the changes happening at Amazon..... As Amazon has not converted all their catalog over yet that is why some media works and some does not....

It does not meam Amazon does not want to stick it to RIM however.... As Kindle Fire is a direct competitor you can assume there is not great effort to support the Playbook... Also remmeber since November Amazon has sold at least 4 times as many Kindle Fires as RIM did Playbooks since April...

A reality is at play Playbook users need to accept.... At most there are only a million Playbooks out there... as it seems like a lot it is not in relation to Android and Apple.. it does relegate RIM to a niche player in the market at best in the eyes of developers.....
    currentodysseys likes this.
    03-03-12 10:45 AM
105 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD