This could be something people have already discussed, but I haven't seen any recent threads about this:

I looooove my Netflix, and unfortunately as most of you know, we cannot use Netflix on our Playbooks other than to manage our queue.

But Amazon streaming service for TV and movies does work! You may rent or buy movies to stream and download. Or you can join Amazon Prime for $79 bucks a year and get unlimited streams of TV and movies. The service uses a Flash player that works great for PB.

While it isn't as good as Netflix, it will serve as an interim solution for portable entertainment for Playbook users.
    Last edited by wtterb; 04-23-11 at 10:15 AM.
    04-23-11 09:53 AM
    Is that a typo or is the price really $79 a month? With NetFlix only being $8 a month I think I can wait a bit.
    04-23-11 09:57 AM
    It is $79 a year which also gives you free 2 day shipping and $4 next day shipping. Money well spent if you buy on Amazon a lot.
    04-23-11 10:03 AM
    It is $79 a year which also gives you free 2 day shipping and $4 next day shipping. Money well spent if you buy on Amazon a lot.
    Ah, $79 a year is way more like it. Thank you for clarifying that.
    04-23-11 10:05 AM
    Yeah sorry about that, fixed the typo!
    04-23-11 10:15 AM
    Can you download the movie to the Playbook for later playback? I thought there was a 2 day rental period given for PCs and Mac.
    08-01-11 10:58 PM
    WELL spent, +1.

I am an amazon prime member and buy a lot from them. I did the math and figured that at $5-$10 minimum per shipment it didnt take long to get your money back by just paying $79 up front... the icing on the cake is two day shipping is thrown in.

i rather have netflix (also a netflix customer) for streaming because they have a much larger movie database but hopefully- like everything else at rim- that is "coming soon".
    08-02-11 05:38 AM
    Can you download the movie to the Playbook for later playback? I thought there was a 2 day rental period given for PCs and Mac.
    No, you can't, at least directly onto the PlayBook. There may be a complex and Byzantine way to get it onto The PB after downloading to a standard computer but I haven't looked into this yet.
    08-02-11 05:49 AM
    With Amazon Prime account, does anyone know if you can stream movies while you are traveling internationally?

This is my biggest complaint with netflix.
    08-02-11 07:40 AM
    You get a video library and both rentals and purchases go there for later access. You can even use while tethering if no wi-fi is available. Of course, it is a bit slower to connect. Northsider or southsider?
    08-02-11 09:41 AM
    I live downtown - I'm a Brewers fan so I hate the Cubs if that is what you are asking. But I guess I technically live on the near-north side. Definitely a Sox fan over the Cubs though.

Anyways - I guess everyone has had success with this on the Playbook. It isn't blocked or anything like those d-bags did with Hulu.
    08-02-11 09:54 AM
    I live downtown - I'm a Brewers fan so I hate the Cubs if that is what you are asking. But I guess I technically live on the near-north side. Definitely a Sox fan over the Cubs though.

Anyways - I guess everyone has had success with this on the Playbook. It isn't blocked or anything like those d-bags did with Hulu.
    Gotcha, I don't follow baseball as much as I used to but when I did was Sox fan even though I live in northwest side. Yeah this AIV works good on PB give it a try. I had a couple of gift cards and cash them in for a couple of seasons worth of tv shows.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-11 10:39 AM
    Or you can join Amazon Prime for $79 bucks a year and get unlimited streams of TV and movies.
    Seventy-nine dollars bucks? What does that mean?
    08-02-11 10:48 AM
    So for $79 year on Amazon Prime, you can stream unlimited HD TV/movies?? Or just SD? I know they dont have the content that Netflix has, but just to keep streaming on my Netflix plan as it is, costs $96 year, and I rarely use streaming at all. Amazon Prime sounds so much better as I buy from them often.

If its just free SD content, I dont think id make that switch, yet.
    08-02-11 12:14 PM
    I have a Prime account and have for years, but only recently realized I could use it for streaming content, and it works well on the Playbook I just got.

If you have a decent wifi connection, you can definitely stream 1080HD to the Playbook on a number of things. If you don't, I think it automatically downgrades your quality. I'm not totally sure as I just got the PB Saturday and haven't played enough with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-11 12:33 PM
    So for $79 year on Amazon Prime, you can stream unlimited HD TV/movies?? Or just SD? I know they dont have the content that Netflix has, but just to keep streaming on my Netflix plan as it is, costs $96 year, and I rarely use streaming at all. Amazon Prime sounds so much better as I buy from them often.

If its just free SD content, I dont think id make that switch, yet.
    They do have lots of HD content, but if you are looking for really recent movies/tv shows depending on what it is you still have to pay either a rental or purchase fee. Every day they have a rental special of a really recent movie for 99 cents.
    08-02-11 01:25 PM
    I have a Prime account and have for years, but only recently realized I could use it for streaming content, and it works well on the Playbook I just got.
    Are you able to see Closed Captioning with these movies on your PB ?
    08-02-11 01:44 PM
    Seventy-nine dollars bucks? What does that mean?
    You'll just have to pardon any small mistakes in my English, as it's not my native tongue. Perhaps if I stayed on messages boards using the other languages I am better suited to write in, I could avoid confusing you.

Back on topic:

Amazon Prime has a mediocre selection of HD content. Also, there are different ways to view content, streaming and downloading options. Streaming can be a little buggy at times, but that's just the nature of Flash. Downloads are not supported for the Playbook. I assume because the DRM component of the downloaded file are not compatible with Playbook OS. The downloaded files will no longer play after the rental period expires.
    Last edited by wtterb; 08-02-11 at 01:49 PM.
    08-02-11 01:44 PM
    Anybody ? )
    08-02-11 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD