In September of 2010 Amazon announced that they would support the Playbook with the Kindle App: With Kindle App, Amazon Buys the Blackberry PlayBook Hype - PCWorldYesterday I emailed them as I had seen or heard NOTHING since. Here is the response I got:

"Hello,

I�m sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I understand your concern with the Kindle for Blackberry Playbook application.

I'd like to inform you that we have not yet announced any kindle application Blackberry Playbook, and we're not sure when we'll have this application.

We're regularly working on improvements to your Kindle experience. I've let the Kindle team know you're interested in this application on Blackberry Playbook.

Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us. The Kindle Team will carefully review your comments.

Thanks for your interest in Kindle.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?"

What gives?
    04-12-11 07:15 AM
    Seeing as how the device hasn't even been officially released, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Amazon will definitely want to get their Kindle app on as many different platforms as possible to maximize the potential income. It's almost a sure thing that a Kindle app will be released at some point on the PlayBook.
    04-12-11 07:24 AM
    Since there's already a Kindle app for Blackberry, I would be shocked if they didn't release one for the Playbook.
    04-12-11 07:34 AM
    I'd rather they launch an HTML5 reader that could be used in the PB browser, and on iOS, and on the PC, etc.

Personally, I really dislike apps. I'd rather have all the functionality in my browser and be able to use the same link (and have the same look and feel) across multiple platforms. I say, put the Apps in the Cloud!
    04-12-11 07:41 AM
    You can always supplement your PlayBook with one of the soon to be released ad-supported wifi Kindles for $114. Ads are only on the bottom of the screen and on screensavers.
    04-12-11 08:09 AM
    I'd rather they launch an HTML5 reader that could be used in the PB browser, and on iOS, and on the PC, etc.

Personally, I really dislike apps. I'd rather have all the functionality in my browser and be able to use the same link (and have the same look and feel) across multiple platforms. I say, put the Apps in the Cloud!
    I'd prefer to be able to read my eBooks offline. Like when I'm on a plane, or riding the subway. Not EVERYTHING belongs in the cloud!
    04-12-11 08:11 AM

tough to read your book in the cloud, when you're, i don't know, ... in the clouds! on a plane with no wifi, no access to the cloud can be a big, big problem. not just here, but with everything else being pushed to the cloud these days.

of course, if you're only using the browser as your "app" and the book still resides locally on your PB, then no problem, use HTML5.
    04-12-11 08:14 AM
    tough to read your book in the cloud, when you're, i don't know, ... in the clouds! on a plane with no wifi, no access to the cloud can be a big, big problem. not just here, but with everything else being pushed to the cloud these days.

of course, if you're only using the browser as your "app" and the book still resides locally on your PB, then no problem, use HTML5.
    WORD! Couldn't have said it better myself!
    thedark722 likes this.
    04-12-11 08:31 AM
    WORD! Couldn't have said it better myself!
    Wow, did you just say "WORD", hey 1989 called, they want their expression back...

besides it's not a word..Yo man BOOK!
    04-12-11 09:12 AM
    I guess my concern is that the Playbook will leverage BB Apps that do not make use of the new screen and functionality of the Playbook- for example just porting over Kindle for BB. Then we read that that Android apps too will run in a virtual machine,be slower and not optimized for the Playbook.

I have a Kindle for all the travel I do- I used to fly with 3-4 books for a week long trip. If the Playbook won't replace the lowly Kindle in my bag.......
    04-12-11 12:18 PM
    I posted question to Amazon about the kindle app for PB - this was their response:
    Hello,

I'm so sorry to hear about the problem you had with your previous Kindle devices. I understand that you wanted to know if the Kindle for Blackberry application would be available on your new Blackberry Playbook.

At this time, the Kindle for BlackBerry application is only available for the following devices:

— 9630 (Tour)
    — 9000 (Bold)
    — 9700 (Bold)
    — 9800 (Torch)
    — 8900 (Curve), 8520 (Curve),
    — 9500/9530 (Storm), 9550 (Storm 2)

I'm sorry, the Kindle for BlackBerry application isn't compatible with the BlackBerry Playbook. We're regularly working on improvements to your Kindle experience, and I've let the Kindle team know you're interested in this feature. We'll consider your feedback as we plan further improvements.

Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey...bUvbUpU6216344

If no, please click here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey...bUvbUpU6216344

Best regards,

Julie Marie D.
    Amazon.com
    Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
    http://www.amazon.com/your-account?t...bUvbUpU6216344
    04-12-11 01:03 PM
    I posted question to Amazon about the kindle app for PB - this was their response:
    Hello,

I'm so sorry to hear about the problem you had with your previous Kindle devices. I understand that you wanted to know if the Kindle for Blackberry application would be available on your new Blackberry Playbook.

At this time, the Kindle for BlackBerry application is only available for the following devices:

— 9630 (Tour)
    — 9000 (Bold)
    — 9700 (Bold)
    — 9800 (Torch)
    — 8900 (Curve), 8520 (Curve),
    — 9500/9530 (Storm), 9550 (Storm 2)

I'm sorry, the Kindle for BlackBerry application isn't compatible with the BlackBerry Playbook. We're regularly working on improvements to your Kindle experience, and I've let the Kindle team know you're interested in this feature. We'll consider your feedback as we plan further improvements.

Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey...bUvbUpU6216531

If no, please click here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey...bUvbUpU6216531

Best regards,

Julie Marie D.
    Amazon.com
    Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
    http://www.amazon.com/your-account?t...bUvbUpU6216531
    Interesting- one day later and a much more complete response. Maybe if we all keep asking they will realize that the BB Playbook will be a more successful platform than they and the Apple flavored media give it credit for. Also funny that they don't mention the 9780, which it does run on.
    Last edited by Fonz0; 04-12-11 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Additional info
    04-12-11 02:06 PM
    maybe they dont have it out yet because the playbook is not out yet, im sure they are working on it
    04-12-11 02:17 PM
    OP: not to worry--Amazon isn't about to miss out on the revenue stream that PB owners will provide for Kindle book sales. Relax!
    04-12-11 02:23 PM
    I couldn't agree with you more. I am surprised that more people don't see it this way. Glad to hear someone express it. Thanks.
    04-12-11 02:30 PM
    I don't think they even need people to answer these type of emails with canned responses (which is what this sounds like). Am I the only one who hates it when they receive this type of robotic email?
    04-12-11 02:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD