So I'm playin' wit my PlayBook today - nothing processor-intensive; a little light browsing, music through Slacker, daily App World lookaround - and I realize that my 'Book appears to be stuttering where it's normally smooth.

I ignore it for a while, as though it might just go away, but the irritation grows and my anger escalates. I think to myself, optimistically "perhaps it's just my imagination." I open a new page in the browser, wait for it to fully load, then swipe it fast to the bottom of the page. A few little skips here and there, barely noticeable to the average user, but blatantly obvious and infuriating to me. So I clear the cache, cookies, storage, etc. Swipe again - Skippi Longstocking. Doubleyu Tee Eff!

I minimize the browser and swipe through the open apps, noticing for the first time that they're stuttering as well. I close them all, open two, swipe between them. Skippity doo dah. Open a bunch, swipe.. stutter stutter skip skip. Ahh! Make an app full screen - the stutter is there too!

So I restart the device. When it comes up, I flip it to fix the orientation, swipe, stutter, ahh! And then it occurs to me.. yeah, I'm using the thing upside-down because it's charging and I think it's more comfortable with the plug sticking out of the top than the bottom. So I turn the BlackBerry logo right-side up.. smooth as buttah. Upside-down.. choppy as a mutha. Sideways.. eh, pretty slippery, but not optimal.

Anyway, I've never noticed this until today and I've used it upside down plenty of times. But maybe it was like this the whole time and I just didn't notice. So yeah, a simple question could have made this post much shorter, but where's the fun in that? And plus I wanted y'all to feel my pain. Anyone else notice this, or is it just MY PlayBook?
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    05-18-11 02:35 PM
    I use mine all the time upside down, never had an issue! Weird!
    05-18-11 02:50 PM
    Nope, spunned it around numerous times plugged in, and unplugged and no issues like you're having. Not sure, could just have been a hiccup in your system. Hope you got it worked out...
    05-18-11 02:54 PM
    Yeah, everything is moving quickly and functioning correctly, it's just that the frame rate of the animations is choppy. Could've sworn that wasn't always the case.
    05-18-11 02:56 PM
    Question about the orientation: When you say upside down - is the top edge (power/vol buttons) actually up in the air or down toward the ground or vice versa? Vol toward the ground. Or is the orientation basically flat but the ports just facing away but not up in the air? I have noticed if my pb is kind of level or dropped a bit it will jump around. I think the sensor reacts to certain positions but "level" can confuse it.
    05-18-11 03:08 PM
    are you sure youre not using a Xoom?
    louzer likes this.
    05-18-11 03:11 PM
    The volume is toward the ground, ports to the sky - choppy animation regardless of laying flat or holding up. It has to do with the orientation swapped to "upside-down".
    05-18-11 04:07 PM
    mine acted weird when i was using a charges that was not meant for my playbook.
    05-18-11 04:16 PM
    it's the wireless antenna which is on the left hand upper corner normally. when you have it upside down, your hand covers it.
    I use mine upside down all the time when charging and never notice any choppines.. Weird..
    it's all how you hold it if you cover up the corner with your hand you will see the signal strength shrink. there was a thread about this a week or so ago.
    05-18-11 04:37 PM
    You're not alone. I noticed the app switching visual transitions (like when taking an app from window mode to full screen) are choppy when I'm using the PB upside down, though browser scrolling seems to be fine in all positions.
    05-18-11 06:05 PM
    Actually you are right. If you try minimising the browser and then selecting it over and over the animation is choppy upside down but fine the right way up. Browser performance is perfect in both landscape orientations with me but the portrait orientations have horribly laggy scrolling on the browser for me.
    05-18-11 06:35 PM
    i always use mine like that in my room its easier to type and watch shows/movies/surf when it plugged in like that and im laying on my bed.
    05-18-11 06:38 PM
    i just googled for this problem as I'm noticing it too. I'm using it upside down for the same reason. It's definitely less smooth The iPad is not like this.
    06-21-11 08:54 AM
    the problem is when its plugged it.
    06-21-11 09:24 AM
    Actually I just tried it with my Playbook, upside down = choppy. Right-side up = smooth. Not plugged in.

Portrait mode has always been a bit slower in mine anyway.
    06-21-11 09:43 AM
    mmm, definately will try this tonight once I get home...

BTW, is anyone else using a password on the PB and then the password screen comes up in the weirdest orientation (seems random to me but probably depend on they way I pick up the PB), and it locks in that orientation until you enter the password?

This is quite anoying... I love my Playbook though...
    06-21-11 10:24 AM
    This claim is useless unless someone can provide a specific app (preferably) or web site (without constant WiFi traffic to mess up the test) which we can load, disconnect from WiFi, then swipe around and observe a distinct difference between the two. I see no difference on any app or site I've tried.
    06-21-11 11:20 AM
    This claim is useless unless someone can provide a specific app (preferably) or web site (without constant WiFi traffic to mess up the test) which we can load, disconnect from WiFi, then swipe around and observe a distinct difference between the two. I see no difference on any app or site I've tried.
    browser, news.bbc.co.uk with flash enabled
    correct orientation it's literally 60 frames per second
    upside down, it's not buttery smooth. More like 35 to 40fps if i had to guess.
    06-22-11 05:41 AM
    Was just testing this upside down. Didn't notice any stuttering except the quirky way of showing a taken photo upside with that second preview. Don't think it should react that way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-11 10:52 PM
    Well, aint that a find. Upside down disables my showcase mode. If I try running two media apps at the same time with the device upside down it pauses or freezes the minimized one. Cool. Good to know.
    06-22-11 11:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD