[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJiHwNlZxNA[/YT]
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    03-09-12 04:55 AM
    Cool, now... explain to me how this is in anyway useful to me.
    Fuzzballz and clemmiez like this.
    03-09-12 05:10 AM
    I believe it was meant to be a demo of what multitasking is like on the Playbook.
    cdelcampo216 and bbfan1040 like this.
    03-09-12 05:13 AM
    I dare you "Try running 2 android apps at the same time" Multitasking
    03-09-12 05:14 AM
    The video basically shows that the background app is running as if it were still the main app.
    03-09-12 05:17 AM
    I believe it was meant to be a demo of what multitasking is like on the Playbook.
    Still doesn't explain much. I get the premise but it's pointless. *shrugs*

A demo, should show me something I actually want to do.. why would I want to play a game and run a BPM counter in the background?

Yes, the PlayBook is great at multi-tasking but to drive that point home, it needs a useful use case scenario.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-09-12 05:19 AM
    Still doesn't explain much. I get the premise but it's pointless. *shrugs*

A demo, should show me something I actually want to do.. why would I want to play a game and run a BPM counter in the background?

Yes, the PlayBook is great at multi-tasking but to drive that point home, it needs a useful use case scenario.
    How about playing a piano app with the metronome beating in the background?

If you could play a game on top of that ticker, you could as well play a synth on top.
    03-09-12 05:24 AM
    How about playing a piano app with the metronome beating in the background?

If you could play a game on top of that ticker, you could as well play a synth on top.
    You're missing my point. You didn't show that in the video, you showed NFS and a BPM counter.

I'm not knocking your hustle, I'm just saying what your video showed didn't really give me a real world use case for multi-tasking.

I agree with you, PlayBook multi-tasking is great but if you're looking to showcase it, show it as something people WANT to actually use the multi-tasking for, lol.
    kbz1960 and Rello like this.
    03-09-12 05:30 AM
    Sure. Nobody would run a 3D game over a ticker. But different people will have different needs for multitasking. So one simple way to show what the PB is capable of is this: that you can run your favourite app in the background without missing a single beat while running something as CPU-heavy as a 3D game.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    03-09-12 05:41 AM
    one use of multi-tasking : playing the game - you get the email notification.. minimize the game, check the e-mail and come back to the game
    03-09-12 05:53 AM
    New to the PB and excited about some basic stuff, the PB can do a lot more than that and i'm sure there's plenty more "aha moments" for you ahead, ENJOY!!
    03-09-12 06:13 AM
    OP you can change your thread title to Amazing PB Multitasking. List ur multi... .....

I usually jump between the browser, fb app, mail & video (i like how video continues to play in the background since ive seen all my vids 100+ times..)
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    03-09-12 06:56 AM
    Are you serious!? It's not that it's useful... it's that it's TRUE Multi-Tasking!!! At it's best!

That is what sold me on the PB versus the Plethora of Android Tablets... that & the attractive price...

COME ON MAN!?!
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    03-09-12 08:47 AM
    Guys, Blaize has a good point. Most people would look at that video and think "when would I ever want to do that?" Show a "useful" example of multi-tasking. One where a non-techy person would look at it and think "hey, that would be something I might need to do". Hawkeberry came closest. One I can think of is when I was in M�xico last month, I had saved some maps in my photos folder, and was using wifi to browse the web, got the address I needed and was able to quickly confirm it's location on the map photo, without needing to close the browser. Not complex, but hey, it worked and was very useful to me. All the while my tunes were playing thru my headset.
    03-09-12 10:31 AM
    A good example of usefull multitasking would be downloading a large file with the browser and then going off to do something else while the file downloads. It's just that it would be hard to dramatically demonstrate this ability in a video.
    dusdal likes this.
    03-09-12 10:35 AM
    True, the video was more easily appreciated by techies than the average population.

I wish RIM could make a better promotion regarding true multitasking because the average person is not going to really understand what he or she is missing using a pseudo-multitasking device.
    03-09-12 01:14 PM
    i like how my pb multitasks. my android tablets also multitask.

using cnbc realtime, checking calendar, playing hd video, reckless racing 2 in background. you cant see status in notification bar but im also updating 2 apps from google play store and downloading a movie via tTorrent app.

and for the apps that arent actually open but still working and useful(mysms, remind me, dropbox(automatically uploads all pics and videos to my dropbox), weatherbug alerts, google voice(used for voicemail), google talk(chat and video chat)

when talking about multitasking, dissing the ipad is ok, but when dissing android tablets, you should really know what you are talking about.
    03-09-12 01:19 PM

using cnbc realtime, checking calendar, playing hd video, reckless racing 2 in background. you cant see status in notification bar but im also updating 2 apps from google play store and downloading a movie via tTorrent app.

and for the apps that arent actually open but still working and useful(mysms, remind me, dropbox(automatically uploads all pics and videos to my dropbox), weatherbug alerts, google voice(used for voicemail), google talk(chat and video chat)

when talking about multitasking, dissing the ipad is ok, but when dissing android tablets, you should really know what you are talking about.
    I would hope that the last year has demonstrated that people really don't care about playing videos or games "in background."
    03-09-12 01:39 PM
    that video isnt playing in the "background" its a open resizable window. the game i had opened obviously isnt being played in the background(whos controlling it?) it gets paused when switched out.
    03-09-12 01:43 PM
    OK... maybe tonight I'll make a video of me on Facebook & checking email & listening to music while I check out the newest Trailer on IMDB & creating a Document on DOCS To Go? Would that be impressive?! I think so...
    03-09-12 01:46 PM
    My main real world use case has been for school.

In class I use the voicenotes to record the lectures(from the back row and the sound is excellent)

While its recording, I type notes in docs to go and have the Powerpoint of the lecture open for quick reference (ie if I miss something and have to skip back) as well as a basic drawing program for diagrams and such, and the fifth app sometimes open is my PDF of the textbook.

The sixth open app is sometimes the browser(to access blackboard) and sometimes box.net as this is where I store all of my documents.

It feels pretty great to pull all of this equipment out of my back pocket while everyone else is loaded with binders/pens/textbooks.

There were a few people who started bringing in ipads but they all seem to have stopped except for one. Not sure why.

Feels even better to be ninja-switching between these windows while people glance over you shoulder haha.
    spike12 likes this.
    03-09-12 02:14 PM
    Cool, now... explain to me how this is in anyway useful to me.
    Here Bla1ze.
    If you can find a way to downgrade to 1.8 you can do this. :P

03-09-12 02:18 PM
    There were a few people who started bringing in ipads but they all seem to have stopped except for one. Not sure why.
    It's because they realized the old fashion pen-and-paper note taking is still the most effective way to learn. You can sketch diagram, write equations, using different colours/highlighter much quicker than on a tablet.
    03-09-12 02:20 PM
    Uhm, you realize the PlayBook doesn't "truly" multi task. It's very clear from the video when the guys switches between the two games, once he switches back to the car game the game itself had been put into pause mode. Reminds of what Microsoft was common for back in the Windows 3.1/3.11 for Work Groups... Task switching which pauses the application currently open to allow the user to focus on the next new application.

But its nice to see you can switch between applications.

A.
    03-09-12 02:26 PM

I like how it task switches but it does not truly multi task.

03-09-12 02:27 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD