For the last little while i've been playing with the idea of developing my own personal apps for work for the playbook.

I've downloaded the NDK for the playbook from RIM, however it's not too easy work with, for me anyway - no real programming experience.

I downloaded the NDK for BB10 (Z10) or Cascades and was very impressed by how quickly i could develop a simple math type app for the Z10. I downloaded the Z10 simulator and within one afternoon I had a fully functioning app ready to go.

I started thinking, can a app developed in the BB10 cascades NDK work on the Playbook? - short answer 'Yes' ...BUT, the user interface apparently under cascades is designed for the Z10...so it looks terrible on the playbook - so the forums tell me.

So again I started thinking, how would a developer build an app for the playbook in anticipation of the BB10 OS? Without a NDK for the playbook designed for BB10 not currently available.....what is a developer to do??

Someone correct me.... But I don't think we'll see the playbook BB10 OS until AFTER a playbook NDK for BB10 is released by RIM - this is my two cents....actually now because we don't have the penny anymore - this is my nickel.

Someone tell me i'm wrong (hopefully a developer)

Thanks
    02-22-13 05:43 PM
    BUT, the user interface apparently under cascades is designed for the Z10...so it looks terrible on the playbook - so the forums tell me.
    Maybe it looks terrible on PB os2.1 but who knows how those apps behave under bb10, obviously no one since no official release of this os have been made available for the pb, not even an Alpha....
    02-22-13 10:46 PM
    As you surmised, BBRY always issues a series of developers' beta SDKs so that developers can begin testing their apps on a new platform. Until then you have to demonstrate some patience. If I were in your situation, I would continue to write apps targeting the Z10. It will be a comparatively simple matter to tweak your apps for the PB screen resolution as soon as beta BB10 SDK is available for PB. If you design your apps using containers with automatic layout (as I am certain you are doing) then the conversion could be trivial. On the other hand, you may find yourself rewriting sections of your UI - but the process will be painless because the learning curve will be behind you.
    02-22-13 11:00 PM
    Based on these:
    Deploy_Qt4_based_app_to_BB_PB_usingQtCreator | Qt Wiki | Qt Project
    Building Qt4 for BlackBerry | Qt Wiki | Qt Project

You could compile Qt 4.8 to the Playbook, then port Cascades over and use Cascades modules for your UI, and you could have a proto-BB10 app for Playbook If it works... I've heard of people using Symbian QML widgets successfully on Playbook but they look a bit weird. The other option is to use standard QML widgets without any platform-specific stuff.

Hang on, is it possible to create a BB10 app on the Z10 NDK and then just run it on the Playbook without any changes? Do you need to include libraries like what you have to do with Qt (because Qt isn't included in the PB OS)?
    02-23-13 12:18 AM