of course, 10 char
    04-12-12 09:00 PM
    No, Thorsten will update us when he hires someone.
    VanCity778 likes this.
    04-12-12 09:03 PM
    No, Thorsten will update us when he hires someone.
    Is it normal to take so long to hire a executive officer?
    04-12-12 09:28 PM
    the cmo will be there when bb10 launches
    04-12-12 09:28 PM
    the cmo will be there when bb10 launches
    would you prefer to have a CMO on board to prepare for the launch of BB10?
    04-12-12 09:29 PM
    Yeah, I kind of think they want to hire someone close to BB10 launch, so they don't have to try to market the current line, because I don't think it'll help much. It is probably more enticing to a prospective CMO if the product they are marketing really impresses them. If they spend big money on a CMO with nothing to show for it for months, it might off the shareholders more.
    04-12-12 09:32 PM
    Yeah, I kind of think they want to hire someone close to BB10 launch, so they don't have to try to market the current line, because I don't think it'll help much. It is probably more enticing to a prospective CMO if the product they are marketing really impresses them. If they spend big money on a CMO with nothing to show for it for months, it might off the shareholders more.
    At least 6 months before the launch, lots of prep work needs to be scheduled way ahead of the time.
    04-12-12 09:37 PM
    Say you want to book Simon Cow for BB10's launch party, so you got the CMO on board and he called Simon one month before the launch, only to find that Apple already booked Simon Cow 5 months ago... see what I meant?
    04-12-12 09:43 PM
    it might take longer if they are hiring a non-canadian. background check, labor market opinion, working visa, relocation. some paperwork are in the mercy of the government.
    04-12-12 09:51 PM
    Do you mean Simon Cowell? While marketing and PR often go hand in hand, they are usually separate entities.

The time it takes to hire an executive director is directly related to the time it takes to find a well qualified one with sufficient experience and enough creativity to get the job done properly. If that candidate works for some other corporation currently, it can take time to lure him/her away from his/her current position. The challenges are many and varied.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    04-12-12 09:59 PM
    I've been wondering this as well. I hope they're just being picky and trying to find the right person but time is running out they need someone there soon and someone who's amazing at it. They're advertising and marketing as it is now is terrible they need to do this right. No mistakes. I'm excited about everything coming but he rest of the world doesn't know what next for rim. They need to know and RIM needs the right cmo to do it.

And showing what the devices actually do would be a good approach too. But what do I know?
    04-12-12 10:07 PM
    Do you mean Simon Cowell? While marketing and PR often go hand in hand, they are usually separate entities.

The time it takes to hire an executive director is directly related to the time it takes to find a well qualified one with sufficient experience and enough creativity to get the job done properly. If that candidate works for some other corporation currently, it can take time to lure him/her away from his/her current position. The challenges are many and varied.
    Yes I meant Simon Cowell.

It feels like in a Starcraft game, RIM has been cornered with limitted resouce and the time is running out. Unless RIM breaks the blockage and establish a new base at a new mine site before the its old mine is out, RIM will be sufficated and the defence will be weakened and eventually crashed. There is only one chance for RIM to mass their army to break the blockage, but the CMO just can't get into position...
    04-12-12 10:36 PM
    They have posted the job offer on their site and on twitter.

Care to apply?

I would if I had a major in marketing. They need somebody passionate about the brand.
    04-12-12 10:43 PM
    A good product should sell itself.. Convincing people to buy a product will not take it very far.. More than a CMO the RIM empire should invest in teams of 'BlackBerry Educators' which are stationed in various outlets, booths, etc. who can target specific uses of the BlackBerry products and educate it's users on how to efficiently handle the processes. Help people streamline their devices, setup complex structures such as multiple PIM handling capabilities, app interaction, etc.

Knowing bout service books, advanced device settings, etc. was fun until the BB products have gone mass market and are now catering to a bunch of ignorant or unaware users.

RIM should streamline down to 10 useful processes or features that the BB is capable of and 90% consumers are using and educate the users on how to use it properly and efficiently.

I would like my uncle to goto the BlackBerry store and have his device setup the way he wants to by a professional rather than give me a call.. since I'm not always available and mentally it's different when you are attended to by a professional.

A CMO would only be able to sell more products but not reinforce faith in it's existing users which RIM needs right now since marketing through recommendation is of highest success. As of now, we the advanced users are the only sales team that the BlackBerry actually has.. this concept needs to be translated into an official and professional setup.
    sagec and Cee134 like this.
    04-13-12 12:59 AM
    Is it normal to take so long to hire a executive officer?
    Yes of course... They need to find someone capable not only with marketing ideas but someone with the experience to execute the ideas.

Not only they need to properly find someone at such high position, that someone needs to understand the inner working of RIM and this will take sometime again.

But maybe they will promote someone within.

- Charles
    Last edited by chaddeus; 04-13-12 at 03:19 AM.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    04-13-12 03:17 AM
    Say you want to book Simon Cow for BB10's launch party, so you got the CMO on board and he called Simon one month before the launch, only to find that Apple already booked Simon Cow 5 months ago... see what I meant?
    Most probably, the CMO will not call Simon Cowell unless you are talking about a small company. Most probably someone in charge of the event will call up Simon's PR company or Simon's manager or whatever.. talk to them and go through the smaller details before the CMO steps in....

- Charles
    04-13-12 03:22 AM
    no, but better late than bad.
    04-13-12 03:22 AM
    double-post (sorry)
    04-13-12 04:05 AM
    I'm slightly surprised that the debate above focuses on it being just a matter of time before RIM find the right CMO and hire them.

Last I heard, recruitment was a two-way street, and nobody seems to have considered the possibility that RIM have found their CMO... but their offer was declined!

If I were some high-flying CMO with the years of experience and industry reputation that would be needed in order to make a difference to RIM, I'd take a look at what I had now in my current role... then take a look at where RIM is right now as a business... and look at its product-line...

At which point, I'd take another look at my existing office, and then settle myself in my leather executive chair and wonder who would want that job.

OK. I'm sure I'm not the same kind of driven individual as RIM's prospective CMO needs to be... but I question the underlying assumption in previous posts that this is such a plum job that it's all in RIM's hands.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 04-13-12 at 04:09 AM.
    04-13-12 04:06 AM
    I'm slightly surprised that the debate above focuses on it being just a matter of time before RIM find the right CMO and hire them.

Last I heard, recruitment was a two-way street, and nobody seems to have considered the possibility that RIM have found their CMO... but their offer was declined!

If I were some high-flying CMO with the years of experience and industry reputation that would be needed in order to make a difference to RIM, I'd take a look at what I had now in my current role... then take a look at where RIM is right now as a business... and look at its product-line...

At which point, I'd take another look at my existing office, and then settle myself in my leather executive chair and wonder who would want that job.

OK. I'm sure I'm not the same kind of driven individual as RIM's prospective CMO needs to be... but I question the underlying assumption in previous posts that this is such a plum job that it's all in RIM's hands.
    Isn't it true its just a matter of time. The time will stop ONLY if RIM decided to shut down. Even if they are bought over by XYZ company, someone must be there to be the CMO. The new CMO can be someone from XYZ company. The new CMO could be called Director of Marketing or whatever name you call.

If RIM found their CMO but the CMO decliined, then they got to find someone else. Personally, I felt that RIM is an established company. Although they are not perfect but temporarily, they dont need a superman CMO to run the company. They have marketing managers, assistant here or there and temporarily, it should be ok.

Anyway, I am sure someone at RIM is currently handling the CMO position although its not official. Until they find someone suitable, they will officially announce it. This is part of change management and I am sure RIM is familiar with.

- Charles
    04-13-12 06:45 AM
    A good percentage of the people who have the relevant experience probably live here in the bay area or silicon valley. If Facebook wants to hire someone from Apple or Google, for example, that Apple or Google employee doesn't need to move his whole family, his or her spouse doesn't need to find a new job, new schools for the kids, etc. Half the time people move from one company to another and don't even need to move into a new house.

That's not to say that there aren't other good candidates who already live in Ontario or elsewhere, but the numbers will be quite small compared to here.

This is true for top engineering and design talent, too. Microsoft and Samsung have major offices here, why doesn't RIM? I think that would be a huge boost to RIM's talent pool.
    04-13-12 06:51 AM
    Isn't it true its just a matter of time.
    Most things do take time, but time isn't a commodity that RIM have in abundance right now.

As has been said above, the marketing planning for BBX phones needs to be started as soon as possible to achieve RIM's stated release estimates.

<snip> ...they dont need a superman CMO to run the company. They have marketing managers, assistant here or there and temporarily, it should be ok.
    Actually, I think they do need a CMO superman.

RIM's marketing is generally perceived as awful compared with their competition. Now, that perception may be unfair, but it is widely believed IMO. If BBX is to be a success, the marketing side of their operation needs a significant kick up the rear.
    04-13-12 07:16 AM
    In my view you have more than enough necessary skills in Ontario nowadays. It's not like the era of 1990's Silicon Valley, when developing a browser was a feat.

You might even find a lot of adequate skills in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

The myth of the exceptional boss is just a myth. Steve Jobs was in reality part of Apple's marketing package, a perfectly tailored pseudo-buddhist-aging-hippie-successful-business-shark, just the kind of reflection potential buyers wanted to see.

But as far as real business decision skills are concerned, you have hundreds of thousands of them in Canada.
    04-13-12 07:19 AM
    Most probably, the CMO will not call Simon Cowell unless you are talking about a small company. Most probably someone in charge of the event will call up Simon's PR company or Simon's manager or whatever.. talk to them and go through the smaller details before the CMO steps in....

- Charles
    Well, CMO need to make critical decisions on how to prompt and sale it to CEO in order to get the proper budget. Without him nothing important can get decided and/or move forward on marketing front.

The whole reason they need to hire a CMO is because, they need a new CMO. The later they have the new CMO on board, the less impact the CMO will have on the launch. And we all know how RIM push their products in the market-- they don't. The current marketing team haven't been doing their job, RIM need to give time for the new CMO to shake things up, or the BB10 will be same old same old.

Apple dominates the smart phone market not because they have the best phone in the market, but because they plant this idea of "Iphone is the best" into consumer's head through marketing compaigns. Even "death grip" or "Iphone on fire" can't affect their sales.

RIM is in the current situation mainly because of their mistakes in product development, believing in good product will sell themselves didn't help neither. Now to get out of this hole, RIM needs to change their image through marketing compaigns, hopefully long before BB10 launch. This can't wait. If RIM still think their image is "ok" they are day dreaming.

Time is of the essence here.
    Last edited by aha; 04-13-12 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Lots of grammatical and logical errors of course
    04-13-12 08:25 AM
    I've just put in my papers and will be joining RIM soon.. a big promotion.. so your wait is over.
    04-16-12 02:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD