I am trying to use a playbook (OS 2.1.0.19170) as an additional monitor for windows PC.

I have the SpaceDesk installed on my PC and it works fine with other devices, but the default PB browser loads the screen (http://viewer.spacedesk.net/), but never connects.

I have tried to change the browser setting (JavaScript, Flash, etc.) as well as attempt to find an alterative browser .bar file to sideload on to the device, but didn't work.

Lastly, I even tried to find a way to convert the Android SpaceDesk APK file to a BAR file, but all of those sites seem to be gone.

Is anyone aware of hot to view this type of website on the Playbook or how to convert the Playbook into an Android OS?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    06-05-23 09:48 AM
    I am trying to use a playbook (OS 2.1.0.19170) as an additional monitor for windows PC.

I have the SpaceDesk installed on my PC and it works fine with other devices, but the default PB browser loads the screen (spacedesk HTML5 VIEWER), but never connects.

I have tried to change the browser setting (JavaScript, Flash, etc.) as well as attempt to find an alterative browser .bar file to sideload on to the device, but didn't work.

Lastly, I even tried to find a way to convert the Android SpaceDesk APK file to a BAR file, but all of those sites seem to be gone.

Is anyone aware of hot to view this type of website on the Playbook or how to convert the Playbook into an Android OS?

The PlayBook is just too old and incompatible at this point to do what you want. The only thing I could suggest is to try the Opera Mini v 4.2 apk. That android browser has rudimentary function on the PlayBook. Sideload the apk using DBBT. Oh, and no, the PlayBook cannot be converted to android.
    06-05-23 11:45 AM

I have the SpaceDesk installed on my PC and it works fine with other devices, but the default PB browser loads the screen (spacedesk HTML5 VIEWER), but never connects.

Can't convert or update the OS...

Can't run any Android Apps above 2.3 (or somewhere along there)

Browsers can't really be updated either as they are limited by the OS and key elements include in it. I was using Origami a number of years ago, but with basic HTML sties - no security of much in the way of features. But I bet the devices it works with, are unable to install some plugin that PlayBook OS isn't compatible with.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 06-05-23 at 02:29 PM.
    06-05-23 11:52 AM
    The PlayBook is just too old and incompatible at this point to do what you want. The only thing I could suggest is to try the Opera Mini v 4.2 apk. That android browser has rudimentary function on the PlayBook. Sideload the apk using DBBT. Oh, and no, the PlayBook cannot be converted to android.
    I thought you still had to convert an apk to a bar file with OS 2.1.

Also, the android version supported on 2.1 is Android 2.3.3. So you have to be sure any app you do try will work with that.

There may still be some libraries out there that have converted bar files to download. Including for Opera Mini.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    06-05-23 12:04 PM
    I thought you still had to convert an apk to a bar file with OS 2.1.

Also, the android version supported on 2.1 is Android 2.3.3. So you have to be sure any app you do try will work with that.

There may still be some libraries out there that have converted bar files to download. Including for Opera Mini.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    Duhh! You are absolutely correct. There is an Opera Mini 4.2 bar file floating around out there. I also have a copy. It was an apk previously converted to .bar but it does work reasonably well on the PlayBook. Thanks for the correction!
    06-05-23 12:09 PM