Bluemax, thank you thank you thank you!

One other question, if my original file is on dvd, do I need to do another conversion before this one to get it into MKV format? If so, what's a good program for that?

P.S. Did I say THANK YOU????!!!
    I'm being told to try MakeMKV - Make MKV from Blu-ray and DVD
    05-08-11 09:31 PM
    MakeMKV works great - however, it does have a trial period... if you're going straight from DVD to mp4 (as opposed to HD-DVD or Blu-ray), I'd simply use Handbrake - it'll open the original DVD file structure, determine which video files is the main movie and convert it to an MP4 format relatively quickly - I find that using FF instead of h264 for standard def dvds results in a video file that still looks very good and it's much faster than MKV to h264 mp4... just my 2 cents However, I have yet to try MakeMKV to XenonMKV for a direct conversion, so Handbrake may not be needed...
    05-08-11 10:23 PM
    I use Daniusoft Video Converter which was recently updated with Playbook conversion options. It actually makes sense to convert mkv files to a smaller format or else most of my free space would be used up on the device. I converted a 11GB mkv to a 1.5GB mp4 and I couldn't tell the quality difference and it still looks excellent on the PB.
    too bad its not free!!!

it took me almost 3hours for a 720p rip of just under 6gb on my dual core 'atom' processor (i know, but its great as an htcp)
    05-08-11 10:36 PM
    another good option is "mkv2vob" i used this because my ps3 wouldnt play mkv"s.

it works great!
    I'm a PS3 owner and use mkv2vob all the time but I can't get it to make Playbook compatible files. What settings do you use?
    05-09-11 04:27 PM
    hmm.... I will have to get back to you.

they work awesome on my ps3 though! ill have to check for sure if the same vids work on my playbook.

i hate mkv's... so common in HD but so inconvenient! especially considering its an open source video format
    Last edited by lando989; 05-09-11 at 06:21 PM. Reason: spellcheck
    05-09-11 06:19 PM
    MKV's popular because people ripping Blu-ray and DVD to MKV format so as to keep multiple subtitles and audio tracks in one file- that's MakeMKV does. However, the HD MKV is not really good for PB. In the first place, Pb does not support .mkv format. Moreover, the file's too big.

Best settings for converting MKV to PB compliant videos:
    Video
    Video Codec- H.264
    Video Format- .mp4
    Resolution- 1280*720
    Video Bitrate – 1500kbps
    Frame Rate – 30fps

Audio
    Audio Codec- AAC
    Audio Bitrate- 128kbps
    Sample Rate- 44.1khz
    Audio Channel- Stereo

I managed to find a video converter app that allows me to save the settings- You can find details in my blog.
    06-24-11 02:17 AM
    What video store lets you download videos in MKV containers without DRM.? Very interested. Or are you guys backing up your disks to MKV and trying to figure out how to convert them to MP4? thanks in advance
    06-24-11 05:13 AM
    i have multiple movie clip or files mostly tutorials and i wanna convert it into a single file so that i can watch in on my playbook.. i tried handbrake and they dont have any features to do that. is there any free software that can do just that?
    06-24-11 05:30 AM
    i have multiple movie clip or files mostly tutorials and i wanna convert it into a single file so that i can watch in on my playbook.. i tried handbrake and they dont have any features to do that. is there any free software that can do just that?
    This is very doable. Question is what is the container? (mp4, MKV, AVI, mpeg2 etc) if you got the file via Usenet or bit torrent the file may be broken up into small pieces in which case you would just need a RAR program to reassemble Johnny 5. Most with a PC will have a program like this.
    06-24-11 06:29 AM
    For ripping DVD's I can recommend DVD Catalyst ( as initially recommended to me in another post on this Forum ), on special offer for $9.99 right now and has the Playbook listed as an output device so you can't go wrong. I've ripped some of my DVD's to my desktop, connected the Playbook via USB, copied the files into the Videos Folder.......and that's all there is to it. The Video quality is absolutely superb, and I'm not a techie so if I managed it then anybody can :-)

Andy
    06-24-11 07:39 AM
    So the alternative to play mkv files on the PB is to not play mkv files on the PB?

One of of the main advantages of the mkv container is the abillity to create and play video files with many subtittle and audio options, it doesnt matter if you encode the file to a different container, the PB is just not gonna support these features, also even if you manage to convert the mkv to a mp4 it doesnt necessarily means that the PB is gonna play it, the video and audio codecs could very well be unsoported by the PB.

Thats why i hope VLC releases an app for the PB, that could make it in to the ultimate media tablet for me.
    06-24-11 11:18 AM
    There is a separate 3rd party app that will overlay subtitle .srt files on the screen while playing the avi movie - MovieSRTPlayer.
    06-24-11 12:07 PM
    I tried to use this software and it produced any error saying "too many reference frames". Now this has gone totally over my head, please help!
    09-03-11 10:59 PM
    Anything for OS X out there?
    09-04-11 09:25 AM
    Anything for OS X out there?
    Handbrake.
    09-04-11 02:01 PM
    HERE IS WHAT I DID BEFORE CONVERTING MY .MKV --

I Used 'Files and Folders' to rename the mkv to .f4V (I am using an flv player too) and then opened the .mkv file using the 'Files and Folder' app itself Try it out . NO NEED TO CONVERT.

Here are the codec details -
    video - H264-MPEG 4 AAC
    audio - MPEG AAC

:-)
    06-03-12 11:32 AM
    HERE IS WHAT I DID BEFORE CONVERTING MY .MKV --

I Used 'Files and Folders' to rename the mkv to .f4V (I am using an flv player too) and then opened the .mkv file using the 'Files and Folder' app itself Try it out . NO NEED TO CONVERT.

Here are the codec details -
    video - H264-MPEG 4 AAC
    audio - MPEG AAC

:-)
    What flv player are you using?
    06-03-12 12:18 PM
    Handbrake is another program..it's great ..and easy
    06-03-12 12:46 PM
    As you know, the Playbook cannot play .mkv files. .
    I must have one of those weird playbooks that can play MKV files.
    06-03-12 03:37 PM
    It depends on the audio codec contained the file.
    06-03-12 04:29 PM
    It depends on the audio codec contained the file.
    That's true of all video files, not just MKV.
    06-03-12 04:48 PM
    This is an old thread. I think since 2.0 Mkv files can be played. Most problems seem to be audio as ac3 files cannot be played.
    06-03-12 04:57 PM
    so if 2.0 can play mkv but fails on ac3 whats the simple fix for that? conversion still needed?
    06-04-12 02:58 AM
    Conversion will be needed until either rim provides the codecs (at additional cost to them and users) or someone creates an app that can play them. Conversion can be on the computer in advance and then copy the result or, I gather, there are streaming apps that can do it while the streaming is occurring.
    06-04-12 08:50 AM
    There is a free program called Xvid4PSP 6.0 that will can convert the audio only while leaving the video alone. Thus it can convert a 1 hour video in 5 or 6 minutes or so. Settings should set video to "copy" and audio set to "aac".
    06-04-12 01:05 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD