As you know, the Playbook cannot play .mkv files. However, it can decode h.264 files.

So in order to play your high-profile .mkv video files, you have to change the .mkv container to .mp4 container.

To do this, use this FREE program that you can download here:

Download | XenonMKV

The program is called XenonMKV

This is a fantastic free program that down sample any 5.1 DTS sound to .aac sound file that can be played on you Playbook. It would not do anything to your video so the video is still in hi-def h.264 format but it would only put it in the .mp4 container. So after you convert your .mkv file, you have an .mp4 file with superb resolution exactly like your original .mkv file.

Have fun.

Oh, in addition...you can transfer/copy files greater than 4 GB to your Playbook. This is unlike the Samsung Galaxy Tab which only allows you to copy files less than 4 GB.

So when you run the XenonMKV program make sure that you go into the settings to choose the option NOT to split the files, or else it would by default split your orginal .mkv files in half to give you two .mp4 files.
    Last edited by Earthbrain; 04-20-11 at 05:19 PM.
    G50, curve1967, bluemax413 and 5 others like this.
    04-20-11 05:14 PM
    As you know, the Playbook cannot play .mkv files. However, it can decode h.264 files.

So in order to play your high-profile .mkv video files, you have to change the .mkv container to .mp4 container.

Download | XenonMKV

This is a fantastic free program that down sample any 5.1 DTS sound to .aac sound file that can be played on you Playbook. It would not do anything to your video so the video is still in hi-def h.264 format but it would only put it in the .mp4 container. So after you convert your .mkv file, you have an .mp4 file with superb resolution exactly like your original .mkv file.

Have fun.

Oh, in addition...you can transfer/copy files greater than 4 GB to your Playbook. This is unlike the Samsung Galaxy Tab which only allows you to copy files less than 4 GB.

So when you run the XenonMKV program make sure that you go into the settings to choose the option NOT to split the files, or else it would by default split your orginal .mkv files in half to give you two .mp4 files.
    2 questions:

1 - do you know if there is a max filesize on the playbook?
    2 - does the encoding into mp4 also bring over non-hardcoded subtitles?

Thanks
    04-20-11 05:53 PM

Download | XenonMKV

Have fun.

Excellent find! I downloaded it earlier and just came here to post my findings as well! All I need now is something that converts mt2s without transcoding the video just like this program does!
    04-20-11 05:54 PM
    I don't know any programs that directly converts mt2s yet but most of the videos that are hi-def are usually in .mkv container.
    04-20-11 08:30 PM
    ok downloaded it but what now... how dose it work or do things... it dosent install or anything .,.....
    04-21-11 12:43 PM
    ok downloaded it but what now... how dose it work or do things... it dosent install or anything .,.....
    Just install it in your PC and run it. I had no problem installing it on my PC with Window 7.
    04-25-11 11:00 AM
    same here.
    04-25-11 09:51 PM
    Now that's a great post! Kudos!
    04-25-11 10:35 PM
    It would be really nice to have subtitles on the resulting mp4 file.
    04-26-11 02:32 AM
    Mod? Can we please get this stickied?
    04-28-11 02:02 PM
    This should be stickied. I made this thread because I keep seeing people asking on how to play .mkv files.
    04-28-11 02:27 PM
    Maybe the "known issues" thread can link to this one rather then sticky another one.
    04-28-11 02:42 PM
    so after it has converted it, what happens to the audio stream ? is it still in 5.1 or has it been down sampled to stereo ?
    04-28-11 02:47 PM
    so after it has converted it, what happens to the audio stream ? is it still in 5.1 or has it been down sampled to stereo ?

It will be down sampled but the video quality remain untouched in its original .mkv container.
    04-28-11 04:32 PM
    another good option is "mkv2vob" i used this because my ps3 wouldnt play mkv"s.

it works great!
    04-28-11 05:56 PM
    this program is amazing!!! i converted tron and it looks sickkkkkkk!!!!! almost looks better then my bluray on my 46inch!!!!
    05-01-11 08:32 PM
    and how long does it take to convert
    05-04-11 05:48 AM
    Give Handbrake a try, I have converted over 20 MKV movies and they work great on the playbook. The program is free and easy to use.
    05-04-11 06:24 AM
    I wish somebody would please give step-by-step directions for us video conversion neophytes. Am I the only one? I keep downloading all these programs only to open them, stare at them, and say, now what do I do next. Reading the "help" files plunges me deeper into video conversion for dummies status. Please help!
    05-04-11 06:57 AM
    and how long does it take to convert
    My average has been 10 minutes for a 1.5gb file.
    05-04-11 07:19 AM
    I wish somebody would please give step-by-step directions for us video conversion neophytes. Am I the only one? I keep downloading all these programs only to open them, stare at them, and say, now what do I do next. Reading the "help" files plunges me deeper into video conversion for dummies status. Please help!
    1) Download XenonMKV from here.
    2) Install, which is straightforward.
    3) Open and click the options button at the bottom of the window.
    4) Mark the second button there which says "Don't split files, even if they are over 4GB."
    5) Save settings.
    6) The only other setting you might want to change is the destination folder which can be done by clicking the last button on the right of the words Destination Folder.
    7) Choose your file to convert by clicking the button right above the option you used to choose your destination.
    8) Press Start and wait!
    wheresmy600 and hestonk like this.
    05-04-11 07:27 AM
    Bluemax, thank you thank you thank you!

One other question, if my original file is on dvd, do I need to do another conversion before this one to get it into MKV format? If so, what's a good program for that?

P.S. Did I say THANK YOU????!!!
    05-04-11 07:40 AM
    Bluemax, thank you thank you thank you!

One other question, if my original file is on dvd, do I need to do another conversion before this one to get it into MKV format? If so, what's a good program for that?

P.S. Did I say THANK YOU????!!!
    No worries, that's what we're here for.

DVDrip is a completely different ballgame. And one I'm unfamiliar with. I will check into the easiest way and get back to you.
    05-04-11 07:45 AM
    I use Daniusoft Video Converter which was recently updated with Playbook conversion options. It actually makes sense to convert mkv files to a smaller format or else most of my free space would be used up on the device. I converted a 11GB mkv to a 1.5GB mp4 and I couldn't tell the quality difference and it still looks excellent on the PB.
    05-04-11 10:38 AM
    Give Handbrake a try, I have converted over 20 MKV movies and they work great on the playbook. The program is free and easy to use.
    what settings do you use?? basic settings?

i tried xenonmkv and it wouldnt play on the playbook

correction: a different encoded .mkv plays just fine after re-encoded by xenonmkv
    Last edited by brobin10; 05-04-11 at 04:31 PM.
    05-04-11 04:15 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD