I seem to recall someone made a nice PlayBook browser, something which is not on bbw but that you have to sideload. Can't find the thread anymore

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have a link to it?

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 04:49 AM
    Origami Browser. It's available in BlackBerry world.
    09-22-13 04:59 AM
    You're probably thinking of Origami, which was only available as a sideload when it was in beta but is now available in app world.
    09-22-13 05:00 AM
    Ok thanks guys! You're right

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 12:12 PM
    I have been having a few issues with Oragami crashing, especially using bookmarks. I contacted their support but have had no reply.
    09-23-13 10:57 AM
    I contacted their support but have had no reply.
    "Their support"? "They" consist of one guy sitting in his living room coding in his spare time and when he gets a chance. I wouldn't expect support, per se, especially for a free app that is not ad supported or making money for the developer in any way. If you have issues, post them in the Origami thread in the apps and games forum- he participates in that thread when he can and takes suggestions and/or criticisms into consideration if he feels so inclined.
    Cynycl and world saviour like this.
    09-23-13 11:54 AM
    "Their support"? "They" consist of one guy sitting in his living room coding in his spare time and when he gets a chance. I wouldn't expect support, per se, especially for a free app that is not ad supported or making money for the developer in any way. If you have issues, post them in the Origami thread in the apps and games forum- he participates in that thread when he can and takes suggestions and/or criticisms into consideration if he feels so inclined.
    For some reason, the way you wrote this just cracks me up.
    09-23-13 05:29 PM
    If he doesn't want to support it, he should not have released it. I spent 45 years in the business, so I have no sympathy.

Crap is crap, even when it is free.
    09-23-13 08:35 PM
    If he doesn't want to support it, he should not have released it. I spent 45 years in the business, so I have no sympathy.

You can always delete the app and go back to native browser.
    Last edited by bambinoitaliano; 09-23-13 at 10:58 PM.
    09-23-13 08:43 PM

I suspect that you're the only one who feels this way. I, for one, would much prefer that the developer of Origami spend his time further developing his app rather than answering emails from people who don't know how to use his app. And what business were you in for 45 years where you gave away a good or service and you let the consumer dictate the terms under which they would be willing to accept your freebie? When I accept something for free, I accept it on the giver's terms. There is an old saying about this that involves a gift horse and his mouth.
    bb4ty, jonce2012, jpash549 and 3 others like this.
    09-23-13 09:17 PM
    I suspect that you're the only one who feels this way. I, for one, would much prefer that the developer of Origami spend his time further developing his app rather than answering emails from people who don't know how to use his app. And what business were you in for 45 years where you gave away a good or service and you let the consumer dictate the terms under which they would be willing to accept your freebie? When I accept something for free, I accept it on the giver's terms. There is an old saying about this that involves a gift horse and his mouth.
    Oh! Sorry! I didn't realise that it constantly crashes and locks up, because I don't know how to use it.

What business was in in, for 45 years? I wrote code for mainframes, you know, real computers, that is still running in governments, banks, and corporations all over North America. We supplied a fair amount of it, for free and yes, I supported it and made changes that the client requested.

Again, if you are not going to support a piece of software, free or otherwise, don't bother writing it.
    09-25-13 12:59 PM
    You can always delete the app and go back to native browser.
    Wow, how inventive a reply.
    09-25-13 01:00 PM
    Why is WHINEgarden so obnoxious?
    09-25-13 01:09 PM
    Great. You supplied a "fair amount" of support for free. I suspect that you didn't really supply ANY free support to clients without the hope/expectation that you would receive some form of financial gain down the line. .The developer of Origami is not asking for or expecting anything from the users of his app. As to your statement that "if you are not going to support a piece of software, free or otherwise, don't bother writing it",, who the he!! are you to say that? Speak for your self. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't like the idea of someone not supporting his or her free software, or only supporting it to the extent that they feel so inclined to, then either don't install it in the first place or uninstall when you you don't get support. Otherwise, keep your mouth shut. I don't expect support for anything I get for free- if I can get it great, if I can't, then no problem. A LOT of people have installed Origami and have found it quite useful, and by your standard, none of these people should have had any access to the app in the first place. Let's take a poll, which would you prefer (1) Origami with little or no support (my preference), or (2) no Origami at all (your preference).. And don't offer a third choice of Origami with free support- that's not an option. How many people do you really think would support your position? I, for one, appreciate the work that Origami's creator has done, and I'm sure many others agree. If he chooses to support his app or not is his decision and his alone, and I have no problem with whichever course he chooses.
    Kevstra likes this.
    09-25-13 02:07 PM
    I like to know how the job he held writting code that he was paid to do qualifies as free support. I guess he must have been dropping by the government offices and financial institutions on weekends and his vacations. Very charitable.
    09-25-13 02:13 PM
    I like to know how the job he held writting code that he was paid to do qualifies as free support. I guess he must have been dropping by the government offices and financial institutions on weekends and his vacations. Very charitable.
    The fact that he refers to those who received his "free" support as "clients" speaks volumes.
    09-25-13 02:23 PM
    If I were gwinegarden with all that experience, I'd one up Origami Browser and make a browser a hundred times better. For free of course. Yeah, that's what I would do. I'd show him how to make a better browser.
    09-25-13 04:55 PM
    Origami was a free program, true, but the Developer did accept a multitude of generous donations from supporters like us. Does that not imply a moral obligation to continue to help us out now that the Browser is beginning to fail us after the last update?
    10-09-13 09:12 AM
    Origami was a free program, true, but the Developer did accept a multitude of generous donations from supporters like us. Does that not imply a moral obligation to continue to help us out now that the Browser is beginning to fail us after the last update?
    What problem with the performance of Origami is troubling you?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-09-13 04:36 PM
    Oh! Sorry! I didn't realise that it constantly crashes and locks up, because I don't know how to use it.

What business was in in, for 45 years? I wrote code for mainframes, you know, real computers, that is still running in governments, banks, and corporations all over North America. We supplied a fair amount of it, for free and yes, I supported it and made changes that the client requested.

Again, if you are not going to support a piece of software, free or otherwise, don't bother writing it.
    Go write a better browser then. Apparently you have the experience.

Posted via CB10
    mh1983 likes this.
    10-10-13 02:40 AM

You were a salaried employee for 45 years, so you were getting paid for all of your code.
    The banks and corporations who paid you charged all of their customers - you know, like bank monthly 'service' charges, so the customers also paid.
    Today is very different for people; there are many more writing code than in your day and its rare for many people to get salaried positions.
    Also, the field has grown and is now open, something Bill Gates and others started (in your day) - building neat stuff on their own without getting paid - and look what they and the world have created!
    You wouldn't be on here complaining if it weren't for young brilliant minds writing code for fun.
    10-10-13 07:02 AM
    This thread's cracking me up!

Origami's done nothing but impress me for a tablet browser. It does me lovely for everything internetty on my PB.
    10-12-13 11:18 AM
    Origami has many impressive features such as the alphabetized list of bookmarks and the many choices of settings. Yes it occasionally crashes and on some sites may be a little slow but, not even considering the fact that it is free and the effort of one person, it is fabulous.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    FF22 and DPSydBerry like this.
    10-12-13 02:36 PM