I noticed, just now, an approximately 1 centimeter scratch on my precious pb screen. I have been babying this device and even ironically just posted in another thread about wanting someone to do a scratch test to test screen durability. I'm pretty devastated. I suppose I will be making a trip to bb today to get an invisible shield. So much for the screen durability. I might even feel better if i had accidentally touched the screen with something abrasive, but, instead, the scratch just mysteriously appeared. Am i the only one to experience this so far??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-11 10:22 AM
    you can see if they will exchange perhaps.
    04-22-11 10:28 AM
    They, meaning best buy? Would they exchange for something like that, or would i have to find another reason to exchange?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-11 10:37 AM
    You would need another reason. Alternatively, you could return it and rebuy it.
    04-22-11 10:39 AM
    Just dont tell them it is scratched. 1cm is nothing. just exchange it saying something else. have 14 days anyways
    04-22-11 10:41 AM
    most places have a 14 day return policy atleast. no questions asked sometimes. ia m sure you can find some way to do that. tell them its rebooting hourly or whatever
    04-22-11 10:46 AM
    Interesting. I heard someone tried to scratch it with a key and it didn't work. How did you manage to scratch it I wonder? Another reason to get screen cover
    04-22-11 01:55 PM
    Yeah, I was at an Office Max in my area and I had questions about the durability of the screen when he took some keys out of his pocket and ran it across the front of the device without a single scratch.
    esk369 likes this.
    04-22-11 01:59 PM
    Interesting. I heard someone tried to scratch it with a key and it didn't work. How did you manage to scratch it I wonder? Another reason to get screen cover
    Honestly, I have absolutely no idea how I did it. When I first started using it this morning, no scratch. A couple hours later, scratch. It seemed to be pretty deep, and I could feel it by running my fingernail over it. I thought, at first, it might just be a smudge of something sticky, so I tried to scrape it with my nail without any luck.

I was almost convinced it was a crack, since it was so noticeable and almost seemed to extend in two thin lines for another 2-3 mm beyond the scratch.

Either way, I listened to the above device and exchanged my PB for the last available 32GB PB at my local BB. The guy didn't even take it out of the sleeve to look at it, so no problems with the exchange.

They just got the invisible shields in stock, so I grabbed one. I'll be applying it right after I turn it on and verify there are no dead pixels, etc., so I don't waste the $25 for the cover if there are other issues.

Grr.
    04-22-11 02:37 PM
    This boggles my mind!!!! who in their right mind would want to try this!!!!!!!!!!!
    04-22-11 02:41 PM
    I actually left that screen cover it came with on til I got my Invisible Shield today - yeah that pic of the fingers swiping was annoying, but I wasnt gonna take any chances.
    04-22-11 03:58 PM
    i got the icon screen protector on my pb and it great you cant even notice its on . you get two for 20 bucks glossy and matte finish i prefer the glossy. it better to have a extra set of hand when putting it on.
    04-22-11 04:23 PM
    If you are wearing any jewelery such as ring with a stone in it, or a watch that has a mineral glass type face, if any of these come in contact with the Playbook screen, or the Torch screen they can be easily scratched. The hardness of a jewel stone or mineral watch glass is very strong and will easily scratch glass or acrylic.

Jerry G.
    robsteve likes this.
    05-10-11 11:08 PM
    [QUOTE=Jerryg50;6318468]If you are wearing any jewelery such as ring with a stone in it, or a watch that has a mineral glass type face, if any of these come in contact with the Playbook screen, or the Torch screen they can be easily scratched. The hardness of a jewel stone or mineral watch glass is very strong and will easily scratch glass or acrylic.

You are correct. You cannot scratch glass with a metal object like keys or a knife.
    05-10-11 11:16 PM
    Just in case it helps somebody. I thought I had a scratch on my Playbook a few days ago. Wiped it down, still there. I gave it some elbow grease and it slowly disappeared. It took a lot of rubbing, but I got it. Not sure what it was, but it was removable. I am waiting on my Otterbox case, because I am very nervous about scratches and dings.
    loreburne and esk369 like this.
    05-11-11 12:07 AM
    If you are wearing any jewelery such as ring with a stone in it, or a watch that has a mineral glass type face, if any of these come in contact with the Playbook screen, or the Torch screen they can be easily scratched. The hardness of a jewel stone or mineral watch glass is very strong and will easily scratch glass or acrylic.

Jerry G.
    Aha! Looks like the mystery has been solved.

So, OP, are you Mr T in disguise?
    05-11-11 04:01 AM
    I noticed a simiiar small scratch on my screen after a month or so. I don't wear a watch or rings or any type of jewellery. I think it came that way. Did ou find a way to polish out the scratch?
    10-19-12 11:17 AM
    I treat my PB with little respect, my kids use it and I rarely have it in a case and the thing looks good as new well over a year later. Fantastic build quality.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    10-20-12 03:05 AM
    I noticed a simiiar small scratch on my screen after a month or so. I don't wear a watch or rings or any type of jewellery. I think it came that way. Did ou find a way to polish out the scratch?
    I would suggest not trying anything unless someone truly can demonstrate that they polished out a scratch on the pb's screen. I can imagine making it worse. Some screen protectors can camouflage small scratches.
    10-20-12 08:26 AM
    A few years ago I was at RadioShack (or maybe at that time it was The Source by Circuit City, when they bought out RadioShack Canada), and found a scratch remover for the iPod. It worked pretty well, but not sure if it would work on the PB or if it is even still sold. You may be able to find something like that. I forget the name of it, but what it was was a liquid that filled in the shallow scratch and a buffer pad similar to a cleaning cloth.

Edit: It wasn't this one, but for example: http://www.amazon.com/Displex-Lens-Scratch-Removing-Polish/dp/B001EJHMW0. Just do a search for "screen scratch removal". Again, not sure how well it would work for PB's screen, and how well that specific product in the example works, but it might be something to look into. It would have to be a small shallow scratch though.
    10-20-12 12:28 PM
    A few years ago I was at RadioShack (or maybe at that time it was The Source by Circuit City, when they bought out RadioShack Canada), and found a scratch remover for the iPod. It worked pretty well, but not sure if it would work on the PB or if it is even still sold. You may be able to find something like that. I forget the name of it, but what it was was a liquid that filled in the shallow scratch and a buffer pad similar to a cleaning cloth.
    different kind of surface tho isn't it? isn't the playbook a type of transistor type glass?
    BerryClever likes this.
    10-20-12 12:33 PM
    different kind of surface tho isn't it? isn't the playbook a type of transistor type glass?
    or am I thinking of graphine?
    10-20-12 12:33 PM
    or am I thinking of graphine?
    You are probably right, I never even thought about that. Maybe for a small scratch it wouldn't be an issue, but if it is a long scratch or the location of the scratch, you may not be able to get a response from the screen right there. I honestly don't know.

Edit: Found this http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...screen-6643768.

My favorite part: "There is, of course, an extreme option: glass buffing. With a small drill attachment and a tub of cerium oxide compound (and for deep scratches, some sandpaper), it is possible to grind scratches out of a screen, the same way you would buff scratches out of auto glass. My testing indicates that this is a very bad idea".

But the most useful part for those trying to remove a scratch: "The best solution, short of screen replacement, is a screen-protector film. It won't just shield from future scratches—it will make some shallow ones invisible."
    10-20-12 01:45 PM
    You are probably right, I never even thought about that. Maybe for a small scratch it wouldn't be an issue, but if it is a long scratch or the location of the scratch, you may not be able to get a response from the screen right there. I honestly don't know.

Edit: Found this http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...screen-6643768.

My favorite part: "There is, of course, an extreme option: glass buffing. With a small drill attachment and a tub of cerium oxide compound (and for deep scratches, some sandpaper), it is possible to grind scratches out of a screen, the same way you would buff scratches out of auto glass. My testing indicates that this is a very bad idea".

But the most useful part for those trying to remove a scratch: "The best solution, short of screen replacement, is a screen-protector film. It won't just shield from future scratches�it will make some shallow ones invisible."
    well my hubby said the old ipod screens are the same material, so I dint know now, lol... he said the ipods revolutioned the touch screen industry...and so I'm guessing its the same glass....still forgot to ask him if it was a graphine glass or not..lol
    10-20-12 01:54 PM
    I am always amused by people freaking out over a small scratch. It's like the darn thing doesn't work anymore. It's a scratch, not cancer, not a gun shot wound. The thing still works. I have a few extra baby strollers from my last pregnancy if any of you want to really baby your devices.

Jessica
    No thanks, I find the playbook is fine being carried on top of a red velvet pillow or in it's custom case lined with rose pedals.

I do understand where you are coming from on that. I wish I could have the same feelings about it, but if I see on flaw on something inanimate that is expensive or meaningful to me, that is all I can see. Eventually I will get over it, but it doesn't mean it stops being the first place my eyes focus to.

That is why I put a screen protecter on mine, I am personally not crazy about the one I got for it, but it protects it so I don't "obsess" about any flaw on my beloved tech.
    anon(3678660) likes this.
    10-20-12 02:11 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD