08-12-13 04:29 PM
206 ... 789
tools
    HI, I have just now sideloaded ES file explorer, shared my drives (win 8.1) (with User/PW). Can see all 8 drives and can now easily access and stream folders video / music. Slight limitation that it wont play .avi. Only took moments to do as set up is very simple. Streaming quality is absolutely flawless even at 720p. I presume if you want you can open a port on your router and access from outside of you LAN (anyone achieved this?)
    ES File Explorer for Playbook and BB10 - Blackberry Playbook and BB10 Android Apps :: Android APP Store Blackberry Playbook & Z10 and Q10 Apps
    If you are unsure about sideloading I find the easiest way is to use BB10 / playbook app manager (chrome store).
    To access playbook wirelessly (as win 8 hates it with usb) use the info in the below link (Very Easy btw)
    How to copy files to and from a BlackBerry PlayBook using Wi-Fi Sharing Inside BlackBerry Help Blog
    hope this helps some people as Ive tried various methods including Orb and Kalemsoft and I found this much easier and it works

screen shot of ESfileExplorer in action
    All I want to do is stream video to my PlayBook! Is this possible?-img_00000482.jpg
    And streaming a video file
    All I want to do is stream video to my PlayBook! Is this possible?-img_00000485.jpg
    FF22 likes this.
    08-12-13 09:08 AM
    Only one small correction to the above, you can stream avi vids with ES so long as the audio codecs are supported by the PB. One other thing, and it probably has been mentioned in this thread previously but I don't really want to read through the entire thread to see, is that if you're averse to sideloading, you can also stream video using Ghost Commander, which is available in app world. Both ES and Ghost are android ports, and the advantage that these android file browsers with streaming over LAN ability have over native apps that allow you stream over LAN, is that the android ports do not require that a media server be running on your PC (as the native apps do).
    08-12-13 01:18 PM
    +1 for ES, it works great and streams from the cloud services as well.

Kalemsoft will permit streaming off site via wifi and so will Plex. Both have free media server programs and both charge for the playbook apps, although Kalemsoft is a bit more expensive.
    08-12-13 01:39 PM
    The advantage of KalemSoft is that it doesn't depend on the included Playbook codecs.
    It will play nearly anything. It will also use most DLNA servers.
    08-12-13 02:57 PM
    Plex server includes a Web interface that works well on both the PlayBook and Z10. I use both the app for convenience, but once in a while fire up the Web interface.

I can't recommend plex enough for its media organization abilities, plus it will serve to any DLNA player.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 03:08 PM
    Kalemsoft is a very good client for the DLNA streaming. Good thing about DLNA servers is that they can be low power devices that run all the time. If you have a server running all the time on your PC, the power bill can be expensive, not to mention the wear and tear on your PC.

The other options may be good too, but I'm happy enough with Kalemsoft to not experiment.
    08-12-13 04:29 PM
206 ... 789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD