How did you get VLC to work? MIne says I need wifi even when my wifi is running on my playbook.
    I'm hoping we'll both get an answer to this because I, like you, am SOL right now...
    04-09-12 06:02 PM
    Are you using ES file explorer or Lan Explorer, or some other file manager?
    ES File Explorer.

I've the nonAndroid Lan something or other but is requires the module on the pc. I'd prefer nothing additional running on my pc.
    04-09-12 08:17 PM
    How did you get VLC to work? MIne says I need wifi even when my wifi is running on my playbook.
    Are you using a version of vlc prior to 2.0. If not did you edit vlc's hosts file? Did you enable the web interface in vlc?
    I havent streamed successively to my PB yet.
    04-09-12 11:15 PM
    Are you using a version of vlc prior to 2.0. If not did you edit vlc's hosts file? Did you enable the web interface in vlc?
    I havent streamed successively to my PB yet.
    I downloaded VLC from Blackberry app world after 2.0. I have manually put the host in. The problem is it says no wifi when in fact it is turned on and working.
    04-09-12 11:29 PM
    I downloaded VLC from Blackberry app world after 2.0. I have manually put the host in. The problem is it says no wifi when in fact it is turned on and working.
    But did you delete the hash marks "#" from the host file?
    Its my understanding that vlcdirect in app world doesn't work. That's why I converted it myself.
    The buzz I hear is that vlcdirect only works w/ vlc prior to v2.0. Even if you edit the host file its unstable. Download an earlier version. I.e. V1.1.11.
    I still haven't had time to play. Dang work lol. Kids gotta eat and I have a newborn.
    04-10-12 10:53 AM
    04-10-12 10:55 AM
    One word: xampp.
    apache friends - xampp
    One word - what???

If you are insinuating that we should be setting up our own streaming servers...I can only LOL at that idea...
    04-10-12 11:47 AM
    One word - what???

If you are insinuating that we should be setting up our own streaming servers...I can only LOL at that idea...
    I'm absolutely suggesting you set up your own server.
    If you're trying to say that setting up apache using xampp is hard, I lol at you.
    joski likes this.
    04-10-12 11:49 AM
    Hey guys, you can close this thread now. It's just a mess, and I sold my PlayBook this morning.
    04-10-12 04:02 PM
    Hey guys, you can close this thread now. It's just a mess, and I sold my PlayBook this morning.
    I hate I missed out on that deal. Did you lose any money on the deal? This thread is bigger than you. As you can read several has ideas how to stream and a few others are looking for ways. Its not a mess.
    kcmagnet likes this.
    04-10-12 06:19 PM
    I lost a bit of money. I had submitted the trade-in to Amazon for $132.25 for my 32GB. I paid just a tad more than that, and what I lost I more than made up for in experience. I read lots of ideas about streaming, and I decided I wanted something clean and easy and that just works.

So until I buy a second iPad I'll use my MacBook Air + Plex.
    04-10-12 06:20 PM
    I think there were many people in this thread that said thank you for one or another proposed solution working great for them.

Even though lan file explore fills my playbbook movie streaming needs. I found a great app called slashtop which happened to be on sale. I was even inspired to revisit iOS for a non orb solution and ended up settling on running yazsoft playback on my mac mini and an app called goodplayer on iOS.
    04-10-12 06:48 PM
    I think there were many people in this thread that said thank you for one or another proposed solution working great for them.

Even though lan file explore fills my playbbook movie streaming needs. I found a great app called slashtop which happened to be on sale. I was even inspired to revisit iOS for a non orb solution and ended up settling on running yazsoft playback on my mac mini and an app called goodplayer on iOS.
    And the people who said the solutions worked great for them are happy. However, nothing worked for me with MY file-types. So, thanks, but no thanks.
    04-10-12 06:50 PM
    Just found Lan File Explorer on App World...if you consider a cup of coffee is at least twice the price, I decided to risk a buck and try it out.....WOW!

Best dollar I spent!! Just played an mkv file and an avi file with this app!!! Now, I have two great streaming apps!!!

ES File Explorer is the other one, and I am very happy with that app as well.

Splashtop doesn't work with a server that has no sound card, so I don't use that one for movies.

Very useful thread! OP.....sorry to see you go, man! Good luck with the iPad!!
    04-10-12 06:52 PM
    If you have a single core I see your problem. My single core 2.8ghz cpu clocks 85% just the server being connected.
    I have a dual core with 8gb of ram running 2 ghz yes it does seem to run about 80% CPU but weirdly if you add all the CPU percentages in activity monitor it adds to way more than100%.
    04-10-12 07:01 PM
    And the people who said the solutions worked great for them are happy. However, nothing worked for me with MY file-types. So, thanks, but no thanks.

Your welcome, but not welcome.
    04-10-12 07:06 PM
    Your welcome, but not welcome.
    forgot the smiley face.
    04-10-12 07:07 PM
    I have a dual core with 8gb of ram running 2 ghz yes it does seem to run about 80% CPU but weirdly if you add all the CPU percentages in activity monitor it adds to way more than100%.
    Brother you shouldn't be seeing that kind of useage on your duel core. I see something like 37-45% on my 2.4ghz duel core.. I think I saw 22% on my quad core alien.
    04-10-12 08:08 PM
    forgot the smiley face.
    lol I figured.
    04-10-12 08:56 PM
    Wait a minute now. You said you have mkv files. Just about every method plays mkv.
    No matter what tablet you get your going to have to run an app to stream the video. Your going to have to set it up. So neither is any easier than the other.
    04-10-12 09:15 PM
    Wait a minute now. You said you have mkv files. Just about every method plays mkv.
    No matter what tablet you get your going to have to run an app to stream the video. Your going to have to set it up. So neither is any easier than the other.
    No, it does not play ALL MKVs. And you're seriously telling me that neither is any easier than the other? Seriously. Boy you mustn't have used Plex or Air Video then, lol. Up and running in 30 seconds with flawless playback of ANY file-type on an iP.... I mean... not a PlayBook.
    04-10-12 09:20 PM
    Hmmm.., I just played a mkv file using LAN file explorer. And it looked great.
    04-10-12 09:50 PM
    I went to install Air Video which the op sings the praises of on my iOS device and I find out I have to download server software for my mac that converts the video to an iOS friendly format.

I do not see the advantage of iOS. It looks to me like the playbook for $199 plus 99 cents for LAN file explorer plays the files without re encoding them. The iPad $500 plus $2.99 for Air Video has to have the files converted in advance or on the fly on the server side. I also tried playing the same mkv file with goodvideo on ios and it choked after a few seconds.
    04-10-12 10:13 PM
    Brother you shouldn't be seeing that kind of useage on your duel core. I see something like 37-45% on my 2.4ghz duel core.. I think I saw 22% on my quad core alien.
    I wish I knew how to make it use less CPU Everything seems to work fine except after about 10 minutes of watching Hulu the video just stops playing on the playbook. I tried closing all programs, turned of my vpn software and only had the browser running. Im running lion. Maybe the older dual cores aren't as efficient. Anyway I like splash top for all the non video watching tasks. I like how I can even switch between my two monitors. The multitouch gestures work flawlessly.
    04-10-12 10:23 PM
    Just played an mkv file and an avi file with this app!!! Now, I have two great streaming apps!!!
    How did you play an mkv? I just tried an got a media error.
    04-10-12 10:26 PM
206 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD