Brother you shouldn't be seeing that kind of useage on your duel core. I see something like 37-45% on my 2.4ghz duel core.. I think I saw 22% on my quad core alien.
    Splashtop works pretty good after I disconnected my two monitors.
    04-12-12 06:56 PM
    i sideloaded Plex on PB and run media server on iMac, works great, when I am @home or away (using myPlex account). Until there is a native QNX app, this is an easy way to do it
    04-12-12 07:09 PM
    Splashtop works pretty good after I disconnected my two monitors.
    That's cool. I haven't ever used two monitors. I dunno why it would have caused the trouble. I'm glad though you got some what of a solution. I would hate to keep disconnecting my monitors.
    04-13-12 06:35 AM
    i sideloaded Plex on PB and run media server on iMac, works great, when I am @home or away (using myPlex account). Until there is a native QNX app, this is an easy way to do it
    I don't think anyone has suggested this one yet in this thread. I will have to give this one a try.
    04-13-12 06:43 AM
    Troll...troll....troll...

check out imore..saw your question answered there...
    I'm not sure why insulting a person with a problem helps anyone, certainly not the reputation of yourself of this forum.

J
    04-13-12 08:37 AM
    SteamingNow will fix the codec issue by remuxing or transcoding. StreamingNow in App World
    Read the description and reviews. Not sure if it's necessarily better than Lan Explorer or other solutions. It sounds like while it's transcoding and remuxing audio, you need to wait for it to complete. Depending on media file's size and location/bandwidth, it can take a while to complete. I'm not going to spend $3.99 just to find out how long this takes, I'd rather transcode media files I have problems with in Lan Explorer.
    04-13-12 08:45 AM
    Hmmm... does the streamingnow app prove that it's possible to have a standalone video player app that will play other formats of videos that are already on the PB without transcoding as well? That's something I've been hoping for.
    04-13-12 08:55 AM
    Hmmm... does the streamingnow app prove that it's possible to have a standalone video player app that will play other formats of videos that are already on the PB without transcoding as well? That's something I've been hoping for.
    I think that is technically proven even without streamingnow app. Any application can launch video player, and the app can transcode videos already on PB. It's just matter of having such app.

However, since the storage space is limited, and copying large files onto PB takes a long time, a lot of people look for a streaming solution.
    omniusovermind likes this.
    04-13-12 09:00 AM
    Hmmm.., I just played a mkv file using LAN file explorer. And it looked great.
    Many do,
    but Matroska (MKV) is just a container. Many codec's that can be used inside a Matroska container file will not play on the PB.
    You were lucky, other may not be.

J
    04-13-12 09:00 AM
    I think that is technically proven even without streamingnow app. Any application can launch video player, and the app can transcode videos already on PB. It's just matter of having such app.

However, since the storage space is limited, and copying large files onto PB takes a long time, a lot of people look for a streaming solution.
    I really don't get what your saying. I would not transcode a video on my pb. The cpu would be shreaded. It only takes a couple minutes to move a 500mb file over usb to the pb. I haven't tried it over wifi yet.
    Biggest complaint I've read on the pb is the lack of apps. What else are you going to do with that space. Even @ 16gb that's a lot of media. At $50 increments to double your space it shouldn't be a problem.
    Jethro-ten, you don't have to be lucky. Encode it yourself and be done with it. You just can't blame the pb for not plaaying a mkv file that doesn't have the media file that's compatible. People rely on downloading way to much. Sad thing is this forum has a video section that people are shareing video that will work. Look and they shall find.
    04-13-12 11:14 AM
    for streaming i dont think so dude.
    04-13-12 11:18 AM
    I really don't get what your saying. I would not transcode a video on my pb. The cpu would be shreaded. It only takes a couple minutes to move a 500mb file over usb to the pb. I haven't tried it over wifi yet.
    Biggest complaint I've read on the pb is the lack of apps. What else are you going to do with that space. Even @ 16gb that's a lot of media. At $50 increments to double your space it shouldn't be a problem.
    Jethro-ten, you don't have to be lucky. Encode it yourself and be done with it. You just can't blame the pb for not plaaying a mkv file that doesn't have the media file that's compatible. People rely on downloading way to much. Sad thing is this forum has a video section that people are shareing video that will work. Look and they shall find.
    Have you read what streamingnow app does?
    04-13-12 11:31 AM
    What I'm saying is its a false message. Its going to tell you no matter what you do. It tell tells you that even when your connected to vlc. The ap doesn't realize the wifi is enabled. Don't worry about it and go on and do what you want to do. It goes a way in just a second.
    If anybody is having trouble getting connected, I will help you out.
    It does not work. MANY people have complained about it. I tried for days and it couldnt find the PC on my network. Even allowed it throught the router and turned off the firewall.
    04-13-12 02:56 PM
    It does not work. MANY people have complained about it. I tried for days and it couldnt find the PC on my network. Even allowed it throught the router and turned off the firewall.
    It will connect to vlc. It will control vlc. It will explore your files thru vlc. It will open media on the pb with the native apps. What it won't do is stream mediaa or at least I haven't been able to.
    Do you want to connect it to your pc or just tell me it won't do it? Tell me what messages your getting. Please don't bother telling me it says wifi needs to be enabled. Its going to say that. Let me know what's going on and I'll help out.
    04-13-12 09:35 PM
    Read the description and reviews. Not sure if it's necessarily better than Lan Explorer or other solutions. It sounds like while it's transcoding and remuxing audio, you need to wait for it to complete. Depending on media file's size and location/bandwidth, it can take a while to complete. I'm not going to spend $3.99 just to find out how long this takes, I'd rather transcode media files I have problems with in Lan Explorer.
    I can remux a 1 hour video (350 mb) in 1 minute, 8 seconds from a mapped network drive or 41 seconds from a local drive on my PC. My PC uses Windows 7 (32 bit), an AMD Dual Core 2.60 Ghz CPU and has 4 GB RAM. So it's fairly basic by today's standards.
    Streaming Now works very well. $3.99 is reasonable. I've paid more than that for a bad cup of coffee.
    The author is receptive to suggestions and is always working on updates.
    04-14-12 08:04 AM
    LAN File Explorer works wonderfully for me.
    This app looks good!

I will try it out and the 99 cent price seems very good =D
    05-16-12 09:51 AM
    I am not sure why there are so many problems for people trying to stream from the local movie collection on LAN.

On you desktop/mac mini/etc install apache (free download). Setup a simple alias, you can do it from the gui, e.g. /movies =C:\my movies\

On the playbook, open web browser and type ip of your desktop, e.g.

http://192.168.1.100/movies/

You will see all your folder structure, click the movie you want, it will open up the default playbook media player windows inside the browser (click full screen icon) and enjoy. No compression etc, if you are on the same LAN and have good wifi you should be fine. One problem is that playbook does not play AC3 audio so your movies need to be playable on the playbook. The quality is same as if the video was loaded locally.
    05-16-12 09:33 PM
    OK, I'm not exactly sure what people's issues are. I spent $160 - that's ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY dollars on the PlayBook 32GB. One of the main reasons I wanted it was for STREAMING RIPPED DVDs and TV SHOWS.

Please find me a better-equipped media player than the PlayBook for the kind of money that I spent?
    The Seagate GoFlex Satellite WiFi Hard Drive works very well as far as streaming media. Enjoy!
    05-16-12 09:58 PM
    Has anyone had any luck with the new plex webclient they just released?
    Plex � Part 3: Introducing the new Plex Web Client
    08-31-12 07:19 PM
    The Seagate GoFlex Satellite WiFi Hard Drive works very well as far as streaming media. Enjoy!
    Along the same lines, I use a Kingston Wi-Drive. Much smaller capacity than the Seagate (16-64GB) but solid state (good for me, I drop things) and fits in your pocket It can also stream to multiple devices simultaneously. It sets up its own little wifi connection, so you can use it when out of wifi range.
    08-31-12 08:00 PM
    Not sure if anyone has tried the New plex web player, but with the update today it streams video perfectly from my home plex Server!! Been waiting for this for a long time!!
    10-03-12 09:53 AM
    Not sure if anyone has tried the New plex web player, but with the update today it streams video perfectly from my home plex Server!! Been waiting for this for a long time!!
    I shall check it out! Thanks for the heads up!

update: damn, didn't realize I'd have to pay for a PlexPass subscription in order to use the web-based client. (Android app converts to .bar but doesn't sideload successfully and thus won't run on the Playbook)
    Last edited by BennyX; 10-03-12 at 01:54 PM.
    10-03-12 01:18 PM
    several people have recommended LAN File explorer. so do i. it works great for media streaming. I watch my ripped tv shows/movies all the time. dirt simple to use.
    10-03-12 01:23 PM
    several people have recommended LAN File explorer. so do i. it works great for media streaming. I watch my ripped tv shows/movies all the time. dirt simple to use.
    That does work well.. if you're on the same network.. (as does Streaming Now and ES File Explorer) but it's hard to find a streaming solution that will do so at good quality over the internet. Someone in the forums made their own streamer and it's good for what it does, but if your movie collection is mostly MKV's, you'll want a better solution. (most MKV's will play just fine as long as the audio isn't DTS, but with that particular streamer it hates all MKV's)

Orb supposedly *can* stream at good quality, but if you don't have your settings configured properly, your stream goes through their servers and gets mangled before it reaches the Playbook, which is why most people report that the quality isn't so great.
    I have no idea what settings would improve things, and can't be bothered to figure it out. If you visit Orb's forums you get a pretty good idea of their customer service by reading all the posts from dissatisfied people.
    Last edited by BennyX; 10-03-12 at 02:26 PM.
    10-03-12 01:57 PM
    Has anyone had any luck with the new plex webclient they just released?
    Plex � Part 3: Introducing the new Plex Web Client
    yeap, its works flawless, sometimes a few buffer issues, but I guest is because my plex server is wifi,

yeap, its works
    10-14-12 04:14 PM
206 ... 6789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD