Not trying to go through your thread to see if anyone has already suggested this, but if your mkv's audio are not ac3 then you can use pauldrivers simple media server for playbook for streaming while on your home network. It uses the browser and a lighttpd and php server bundle you can find in the thread "Got irritated, wrote a media server for my PB". Sorry if this has already been suggested, every time I try to use search this thread the drop down disappears as soon as I pull up the keyboard.
    04-09-12 03:54 AM
    I love my ATV2 because the interface is so great. But I have been testing out a current WD Live box, and it seems to play pretty much everything you throw at it. It's built really flimsy, and hasn't got the nicest interface but has more apps and plays way more file out of the box than the ATV2.
    If you like the WDTV, check out wiki.wdlxtv.com. They have an awesome homebrew version of the ROM for it that adds a ton of functionality, including Samba, ruTorrent (download directly to the WDTV's attached storage), DLNA server support, the works.

I can confirm that it plays almost anything you throw at it - even played a .3gp file last week when I'd never even heard of that extension before. It's one powerful little media box - I live overseas (hence the torrent preference), and don't know how I survived without it!

Unfortunately, using the WDTV as the hub of my entertainment network means that apps like LAN File Explorer to browse the WDTV's Samba shares are useless (can't install the PC-side components). ES File Explorer works well enough if/when I'm willing to tolerate the Android Player, but most of the time I just copy what I want to the unit's 32GB of internal storage and watch it locally (assuming the audio is supported).

Note: Most of the major TV stream "rippers" who frequent eztv.it, et al, have recently converted to H.264 for their daily uploads, and my PB seems quite happy to play those back without a hitch. And the file sizes have gone down for the SD versions, so...

RCK
    04-09-12 04:32 AM
    I run TVersity Media Server on my home PC and the "Connect to TVersity" app on the Playbook. The quality of audio and video is pretty good, though I wouldn't say quite 720p. Still, I can stream divx and xvid files from 480p to 1080p through this software and they work great. The first 30 seconds or so the video is a little blocky but eventually it gets pretty crisp once the buffer builds up, just like most streaming apps. If you haven't tried this option yet, I highly recommend it.
    04-09-12 06:46 AM
    Yes, its possible. I guess you just need to have the know how.
    04-09-12 08:08 AM
    Clearly user error. :roll eyes:

I have no idea why people need to attack. I followed the YouTube instructions perfectly, and my media doesn't play correctly.

I don't think you know what Smooth. Playback. Is. It's not there at 720p on the PlayBook via ORB. Period. The sound isn't synched correctly with video, the frame-rate is complete junk, there's no rewind/forward controls, the layout is unreadable in terms of which episode you want watch, no subtitle support... It's useless. How on earth do you put up with that?

I hate to be harsh, but ORB is a giant waste of time in my experience.

And on that note, I'm done. Selling the PlayBook tomorrow. Thanks to those who made an attempt to help me, but from my experience it's quite clear why RIM is doomed. The hardware is there, but with no software support it's no surprise the writing's on the wall.
    Part of the reason you are getting hostile replies is that with your first post and most after that it looks as though you seem to be more interested in perpetuating the idea that RIM is doomed and you're selling your Playbook than solving your problem. You've had the Playbook 4-5 months and give up on any solutions given after only 28 hours.
    I understand your frustration as you've been waiting for months for RIM to resolve this but we see a new forum member that appears to be looking for a reason to dump his Playbook and get an iPad.
    I have no RIM or Apple stock so I have no reason to sway your decision.

For others that may be in the same situation;
    ORB, PlayOn and other solutions work for a lot of us so it would seem that there may be a problem with your configuration rather than the software itself.
    ORB relies heavily on the server. Files are transcoded on the server before being sent over your network. If the machine you are using as a server can't keep up you are going to experience lagging.
    Are you running ORB and Plex from the same machine?

I agree that the Playbook should have the ability to read DLNA content. RIM hinted that the Playbook would be DLNA Certified as a DLNA server about a year ago with DLNA client following shortly. Obviously this hasn't happened. Until it does workarounds are all we have.
    Norman_C likes this.
    04-09-12 08:21 AM
    I use Freemake video converter software so all downloads are in mp4 format but with original resolution, 720p 1080p, whatever. This way my Atv's all work and I can stream to PlayBook via Lan File Explorer.

I can also use iPad's, and whatever else as all tablets play mp4 files.

Converting is very easy, you can convert your entire library in one go if you'd like. Simple.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-09-12 08:28 AM
    The Kindle Fire can do it. Fine. Now lets talk about what the Fire can't do. No cameras, no GPS, no bluetooth, no HDMI, and only 8 gigs of internal storage. I'll keep my PB.
    But what good is having GPS, Camera, HDMI, etc if you can't even watch Movies, TV Shows or even use the most popular apps?! Seriously... is it too much to ask for these items to work. PlayBook Video Chat is a joke since it ONLY works with other PlayBook owners... Why do so many people get all worked up as if we are asking for so much!? Seriously...
    04-09-12 08:39 AM
    One more thing... Can anyone REALLY give me a Logical explanation to this next question? What good is Video Chat if it ONLY works with other PlayBook owners? How many of the people on here are actually using Video Chat to chat with Kevin from Crackberry, or Alex Saunders or anyone else? I mean really!... I had to ask for volunteers to use it... That other Video app - SUCKS!!!

Here's a simple solution- RIM, get SKYPE or Digsby or Yahoo Messenger, or MSN, or ANY Cross Platform Messenger that works on the PlayBook, or you'll see more Playbooks for Sale... Just saying...
    04-09-12 08:52 AM
    i side loaded ES file explorer and used the android player to stream videos. its the only one that actually worked without having another program on my PC.
    04-09-12 09:30 AM
    One more thing... Can anyone REALLY give me a Logical explanation to this next question? What good is Video Chat if it ONLY works with other PlayBook owners? How many of the people on here are actually using Video Chat to chat with Kevin from Crackberry, or Alex Saunders or anyone else? I mean really!... I had to ask for volunteers to use it... That other Video app - SUCKS!!!

Here's a simple solution- RIM, get SKYPE or Digsby or Yahoo Messenger, or MSN, or ANY Cross Platform Messenger that works on the PlayBook, or you'll see more Playbooks for Sale... Just saying...
    Getting Skype on the platform is not that simple. It doesn't just "show up". In the meantime though, RIM supplied us with an alternative. They know its not ideal, but they're persistent and they aren't just going to sit back.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    04-09-12 09:36 AM
    Kindle Fire can. It has Plex! Sure it's $200, and not $160, but...

Anyway, I can't seem to find VLC for PlayBook, so not sure what I'm missing there...

I want to STREAM my movies. Why oh why don't I copy them across? Well, because I'd have to convert basically every MKV I have so that it works on the PlayBook, and that's not happening, no matter how quick it may be. It's just a waste of time, space, copying across to the PlayBook is slow going etc.

Anyway, it's quite clear to me the PlayBook isn't going to work out. Shame really. The hardware is decent, but the software support isn't there, and to my eyes clearly never will be.

Good thing I didn't waste my money - I'll get what I paid for it easily.

Thank you to those people who attempted to help me, and to the people who didn't... well, no comment.
    Look don't give up yet. The problem your having is your not taking time to learn the device. The PB plays mkv files.
    You have to sideload vlc. After looking for a hosted version for you I didn't find one. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you don't know how to convert and sign an apk to a bar then install it on the PB.
    When I get the chance I'll upload it for you and others.
    I'm telling you selling that device is a mistake. You will pay 3 times as much for another device that can do what it does.
    We really will help you if given the chance. So what about splashtop? Why is it so important to stream the video? Is the goal not to watch the video on your PB? Why would you limite yourself to just being within reach of your router? You do have a tv or monitor don't you? By streaming your tieing your PB down. Help us understand whatcha expections are.
    The kindle isn't the machine the PB is. It has very little space. The UI in my opinion is ********. My son loves his but he's 6 yrs old and it does everthing he wants it to do. That being said he never passes up the chance to play with his sister's or my PB. The racing games is so much better. I don't know about the other ones.
    Last edited by 13echo4; 04-09-12 at 11:20 AM.
    04-09-12 11:14 AM
    i side loaded ES file explorer and used the android player to stream videos. its the only one that actually worked without having another program on my PC.
    Nothing in this world to date beats vlc paid or free in my strong opinion. I stream security video thru out my house. The very reason why I got vlc on my PB was to stream video from my web cam that I'm using for a baby monitor. Yes you have to have vlc on your pc but its lite and does need a lot of resources. Compair what you can do with vlc then compair the resources used by your favorite apps.
    04-09-12 11:30 AM
    Where can one find vlc for the pb? I did a quick look on some sites and one reported "does not work."

A link? Thanks.
    04-09-12 11:46 AM
    Where can one find vlc for the pb? I did a quick look on some sites and one reported "does not work."

A link? Thanks.
    I converted and signed mine. I wish people would list why something isn't working. I understand vlc v2 isn't working. I'm using vlc v1.?. I installed it saturday so I haven't had a chance to put it thru it's paces. I watched a few seconds of a video that was on my PB then connected to the my vlc server. I didn't see and video when I checked it out my vlc server had crashed. I got it back up and going and haven't had time to play w/ it again. Like I said when I get a chance I'll share it. A buddy of mine showed me video clips taken with his phone of his PB running vlc streaming video. I feel like it should work. I'll look at my log and see what time my server crashed. I hadn't until now thought about the possibilty of the client in my PB crashed it. I don't see why that would happen.
    Fwiw I've heard a couple people say that some of the apps listed as not working was either not signed, not a working version yet, or just converted and signed wrong. Don't know if that's possible or not.
    04-09-12 12:56 PM
    ES File Explorer (sideladed) streams ANYTHING I throw at it. I stream from a D-Link DSN320 as a DLNA server. I don't need to convert, plays ALL my video files - HD, camcorder MP4, avi, mpeg. I won't put it on my kids PBs, or all they would do is watch movies!
    04-09-12 12:58 PM
    Tried to stream a local avi and Hulu by watching through splashtop but didn't work too well. Frame rate was a little slow and would actually stop for a few seconds. Audio would generally keep going and the video would eventually jump to catch up. Then about 10 minutes in it would lose connection and I would have to close the app and relaunch. Splashtop works good for other stuff though great for monitoring stopping and starting downloads. Works with my dual screen setup with easy switching. Control of the desktop environment works great.

Back to iOS I don't see a solution that doesn't transcode most file formats (xvid, divx, mvk) to an iOS friendly version and then streams them. It looks to me like the playbook plays more files natively than iOS.

Maybe ios has some transcoding apps that are easier to setup but I'm not sure they are better than playon tversity twonky solution which get you transcoded mkv files plus Hulu, Netflix, amazon vod

Also thanks Tules for idea to use splashtop to download files to playbook. LAN file explorer can be used for downloading also.
    If you have a single core I see your problem. My single core 2.8ghz cpu clocks 85% just the server being connected.
    04-09-12 01:44 PM
    Set up a Subsonic server. I access it from anywhere I want - even via Bridge.

I don't know if this was posted already (probably), but I don't care to actually look thru these pages. It sounds like a ridiculous specification discussion and/or opposing-manufacturer comparisons I less-than-care to read.

EDIT: If you need help with this, feel free to PM me but I'd like to clarify:

I stream almost any audio or video format either while I'm at home or out and about via the PlayBook Browser. It doesn't appear to do much of anything on the fly that will cause any issues on the server end either. I have this hosting 463 gigs of music and copious amounts of tv shows/movies.
    Last edited by joski; 04-09-12 at 02:19 PM.
    04-09-12 01:48 PM
    ES File Explorer (sideladed) streams ANYTHING I throw at it. I stream from a D-Link DSN320 as a DLNA server. I don't need to convert, plays ALL my video files - HD, camcorder MP4, avi, mpeg. I won't put it on my kids PBs, or all they would do is watch movies!
    Okay, I just fired up ES File Explorer.

I am trying to scan or add my pc computer. It appears to want a username and password. I don't believe I have one on my Vista computer?

I've used Ghost Commander, I think and can access my computer. What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
    04-09-12 01:51 PM
    Okay, I just fired up ES File Explorer.

I am trying to scan or add my pc computer. It appears to want a username and password. I don't believe I have one on my Vista computer?

I've used Ghost Commander, I think and can access my computer. What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
    I am getting the same error. I am trying to stream from a Windows 2008 R2 server which is a member of a domain but has a shared folder that is completely open for everyone.

Any help from those of you that have gotten this to work successfully is GREATLY appreciated!
    04-09-12 02:06 PM
    But what good is having GPS, Camera, HDMI, etc if you can't even watch Movies, TV Shows or even use the most popular apps?!
    I stream TV Shows all the time on my PB through my HDMI cable and onto our TV. I stream from Rogers On Demand or CTV or wherever. I can rent movies from Rogers as well and stream them.

Now, just what streaming TV Shows and Movies has to do with GPS and the Camera is beyond me.

I get that you want Skype. You've said it a million times ... or what seems like a million times. It's very important to you. I get that. I also get that there are a whole host of others who seem to feel that their lives depend upon Skype and other apps not available to the PB ... yet.

What I don't get is how you can rationally say that the PB doesn't stream TV Shows or Movies when it clearly does.
    04-09-12 02:23 PM
    I stream TV Shows all the time on my PB through my HDMI cable and onto our TV. I stream from Rogers On Demand or CTV or wherever. I can rent movies from Rogers as well and stream them.

Now, just what streaming TV Shows and Movies has to do with GPS and the Camera is beyond me.

I get that you want Skype. You've said it a million times ... or what seems like a million times. It's very important to you. I get that. I also get that there are a whole host of others who seem to feel that their lives depend upon Skype and other apps not available to the PB ... yet.

What I don't get is how you can rationally say that the PB doesn't stream TV Shows or Movies when it clearly does.
    Problem is, the dumb-folk will listen to false claims like this. I don't know who the bigger moron is, the misinformed person or the silly who doesn't find out for themselves?!
    04-09-12 02:27 PM
    I got to my hd connected directly to my router but when I attempted to open an avi file, it said there was NO APP or something similar.
    04-09-12 02:45 PM
    I'd be curious to know how to make VLC work as well. I downloaded the VLC Direct app from AppWorld but it does not work. It keeps saying that WiFi needs to be enabled for it to work but WiFi is enabled and it is working correctly. Streaming web server is working correctly and it is on the correct port.

Any help?
    04-09-12 03:01 PM
    I got to my hd connected directly to my router but when I attempted to open an avi file, it said there was NO APP or something similar.
    Are you using ES file explorer or Lan Explorer, or some other file manager?
    04-09-12 05:08 PM
    Nothing in this world to date beats vlc paid or free in my strong opinion. I stream security video thru out my house. The very reason why I got vlc on my PB was to stream video from my web cam that I'm using for a baby monitor. Yes you have to have vlc on your pc but its lite and does need a lot of resources. Compair what you can do with vlc then compair the resources used by your favorite apps.
    How did you get VLC to work? MIne says I need wifi even when my wifi is running on my playbook.
    04-09-12 05:56 PM
206 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD