So I picked up my PlayBook in November, 2011 and have not used it at all, basically. I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for a decent streaming option for video. On my wife's iPad I can use Plex or Air Video to stream movies to the iPad from my Mac mini. Is there anything similar for the PlayBook?

Before anyone asks, I've tried ORB, and the quality is just complete crap. Framerate stutters, lots of blocky noise etc. HD video is simply unplayable with it.

So, are there any options? Otherwise I'm dumping the PlayBook and buying another iPad, which is a bit of a shame since I'd rather not have to since ALL I want is a decent video-streaming option!

Thanks, guys!
    04-07-12 10:26 PM
    Splashtop works, but what it does is show your Windows desktop (if you have a PC). So if you play a video fullscreen on your PC you'll see the same thing on your PB. Works much better that Orb for me.
    04-07-12 10:30 PM
    Seriously? You bought a tablet 6 months ago and have not used it because you only bought it to watch Netflix? Good Lord...seriously? I can't help you. Nobody can. Here's a tip though....there are thousands of streaming sites.
    04-07-12 10:31 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Splashtop isn't something convenient for me. I've used it before and while it's "OK" it's not something that I'd use very often. It's crazy to me that I can't just run an app like Plex and have it work.

And yes, I bought this tablet 6 months ago to stream movies from my collection. That's it. I figured for $160 it would be worth it. So far, it hasn't. I was hoping the Android marketplace would fix that, but it hasn't.
    bluezone1 likes this.
    04-07-12 10:32 PM
    Sell it and buy another iPad...I suggest buying the $500 Netflix player over the $700 one but I'm sure you're capable enough to choose wisely.
    04-07-12 10:37 PM
    LMAO. While I think OP made a very stupid decision...OP, try out PS3 Media Server also, you must have a crappy Internet connection or faulty router, because I stream on Orb and PMS and on both the video looks very good with no lags.
    04-07-12 10:48 PM
    So I picked up my PlayBook in November, 2011 and have not used it at all, basically. I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for a decent streaming option for video. On my wife's iPad I can use Plex or Air Video to stream movies to the iPad from my Mac mini. Is there anything similar for the PlayBook?

Before anyone asks, I've tried ORB, and the quality is just complete crap. Framerate stutters, lots of blocky noise etc. HD video is simply unplayable with it.

So, are there any options? Otherwise I'm dumping the PlayBook and buying another iPad, which is a bit of a shame since I'd rather not have to since ALL I want is a decent video-streaming option!

Thanks, guys!
    really i use orb i experience none of your problems lol
    04-07-12 10:52 PM
    LAN File Explorer works wonderfully for me.
    Last edited by Saul89; 04-08-12 at 07:24 AM.
    spatialmongrel likes this.
    04-07-12 10:53 PM
    It sounds like you've made up your mind already however check out tablet TV in the app store. Playon on the back end. I also use WinTV to stream OTA tv. Elgato eye tv might have a similar setup on Mac. Could also virtualize a windows install to host some of this back end stuff. Between Playon tablet TV and WinTV I have plenty of streaming available to my playbooks.

Good luck!
    SCrid2000 and bluezone1 like this.
    04-07-12 11:10 PM
    I have ES File Explorer sideloaded and it works very well!! I have a home server set up at home, and all my movies are on a hard drive in the server.

Personally, I would really like to see a file manager app like this one developed for the BB to access the shared drives in my network.

Splashtop and Remote Desktop work somewhat for this use, but when I want to watch a movie, I want to stream the file itself to my PB, not access it through a remote desktop app.

Give it a try...I think you'll be quite impressed.
    04-07-12 11:14 PM
    enjoy your second ipad and the jug of kool aid
    04-08-12 12:02 AM
    OK, I'm not exactly sure what people's issues are. I spent $160 - that's ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY dollars on the PlayBook 32GB. One of the main reasons I wanted it was for STREAMING RIPPED DVDs and TV SHOWS.

Please find me a better-equipped media player than the PlayBook for the kind of money that I spent?

Right, I thought so. I fail to see my stupid decision here.

Except it doesn't play media very well. But of course, that means I'm drinking the iPad "kool aid." :roll eyes:

For a PLAYbook it sure as heck doesn't PLAY very well. I was hoping some software would come out for it that would help, but I'll have to suck it up and spend the extra it seems.
    baldo and bluezone1 like this.
    04-08-12 01:19 AM
    really i use orb i experience none of your problems lol
    You use ORB with 720p files, and it works fine? How are you connecting? I followed the youtube tutorial, and the files just run like crap... I suspect it's because it's not a local-network thing and that it uses the actual Internet connection. Just... ridiculous.
    04-08-12 01:25 AM
    If you have a desent duel core cpu 2gb of ram or more you can stream video very well with splashtop. Use vlc to to play the movie. For that matter install vlc on your PB and stream video with vlc.
    I just have to ask why oh why stream the video. Do you not have a usb cord? Just put the movie on the PB. Even. 16gb will hold up to 35-40 movie files depending the bitrate used to encode. I have hdds that I ave nothing but mp4s on. I put files on our devices and when we get done we just delete of the device. I can put it back on if wanted put back.
    04-08-12 02:00 AM
    OK, I'm not exactly sure what people's issues are. I spent $160 - that's ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY dollars on the PlayBook 32GB. One of the main reasons I wanted it was for STREAMING RIPPED DVDs and TV SHOWS.

Please find me a better-equipped media player than the PlayBook for the kind of money that I spent?

Haven't you answered your own question here? What $160 tablet could do what you're asking the PB to do? None that I know of. That being said, just do what I typically do- copy the vids you want to watch over to your PB and watch them that way. It only takes a couple of minutes to do so. That also being said, I took costas1966's advise above and sideloded ES File Explorer, and guess what, it does work pretty well. The two downsides are that some HD vids need to stop and buffer occasionally- though that may be more a result of my PC not being able to stream fast enough, plus the fact that I seemingly can only stream MP4 videos. Costas, what other formats can you stream.
    edit- echo beat me to the punch re copying files over.
    Last edited by pacoman03; 04-08-12 at 02:05 AM.
    bbfan1040 and fgoyti like this.
    04-08-12 02:02 AM
    i've tried about all the possibilities and LAN File explorer wins hands down.. im on a mac too

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    spatialmongrel likes this.
    04-08-12 02:08 AM

Except it doesn't play media very well. But of course, that means I'm drinking the iPad "kool aid." :roll eyes:

For a PLAYbook it sure as heck doesn't PLAY very well. I was hoping some software would come out for it that would help, but I'll have to suck it up and spend the extra it seems.
    So which is it? Playbook has best media player or it sucks because it can't stream what you want?!?!

Regardless how much you spent, admit you made the wrong decision and move on.
    04-08-12 02:08 AM
    and it works wonderfully well on windows as well when i run boot camp

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-08-12 02:09 AM
    I use app called Connect to TVersity & It's been working fine for me. Since I've got this app, I've been watching all my movies & TV shows stored on my potable hard drive with my playbook(no Netflix though). Might not be HD quality but it could be because of my old laptop.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk
    04-08-12 02:11 AM
    Haven't you answered your own question here? What $160 tablet could do what you're asking the PB to do? None that I know of. That being said, just do what I typically do- copy the vids you want to watch over to your PB and watch them that way. It only takes a couple of minutes to do so. That also being said, I took costas1966's advise above and sideloded ES File Explorer, and guess what, it does work pretty well. The two downsides are that some HD vids need to stop and buffer occasionally- though that may be more a result of my PC not being able to stream fast enough, plus the fact that I seemingly can only stream MP4 videos. Costas, what other formats can you stream.
    edit- echo beat me to the punch re copying files over.
    Kindle Fire can. It has Plex! Sure it's $200, and not $160, but...

Anyway, I can't seem to find VLC for PlayBook, so not sure what I'm missing there...

I want to STREAM my movies. Why oh why don't I copy them across? Well, because I'd have to convert basically every MKV I have so that it works on the PlayBook, and that's not happening, no matter how quick it may be. It's just a waste of time, space, copying across to the PlayBook is slow going etc.

Anyway, it's quite clear to me the PlayBook isn't going to work out. Shame really. The hardware is decent, but the software support isn't there, and to my eyes clearly never will be.

Good thing I didn't waste my money - I'll get what I paid for it easily.

Thank you to those people who attempted to help me, and to the people who didn't... well, no comment.
    dejanh likes this.
    04-08-12 02:28 AM
    Troll...troll....troll...

check out imore..saw your question answered there...
    04-08-12 04:20 AM
    LAND File Explorer works wonderfully for me.
    Second this one. Love it... Thanked the developer today.
    04-08-12 04:48 AM
    I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for a decent streaming option for video. On my wife's iPad I can use Plex or Air Video to stream movies to the iPad from my Mac mini. Is there anything similar for the PlayBook?

Hi OP

One of the (much less important) reasons for my purchase of a PB was to stream videos too (from my NAS - Western Digital MyBookLive)

Whilst doing my pre-purchase PB research I listened to RIM Execs spouting off about DLNA - so naturally I thought - it's a given, I'll be able to stream videos onto my PlayBook....

Of course, nearly a year later, and we still don't have DLNA on the PB - maybe it will be delivered in OS2.1!

[I am disabled, and when having an 'episode' I end up bed-ridden for days at a time - last year I had borrowed a friend's iPad and was able to sit up in bed and stream videos no problem - this was one of (less important) drivers for me getting my own tablet]

I totally agree re: ORB - I tried ORB as a workaround (eg to be able to stream without DLNA on the PB) and the quality was appalling - always stuttering with a noticeable pause every 10 seconds or so - occasionally the video would just stop dead and I would have to restart the stream. The network connection was good (4 bars), and an iPad streamed fine in the same location, so I can only assume that the stuttering is an ORB problem....

Note: all my video files on my NAS are h264 full HD (eg 1.5Gb-2Gb per movie) - I wondered if the files are too big for ORB to work with seamlessly, and whether ORB is better with more compressed video files (eg video files that will view ok on a PB, but look pants on a full size TV)

Some people on CB recommend a File Manager utility that sits on both your PB & PC - apparently this enables streaming - if you search the forums you should find the link. If you get a workaround to work, please post the solution on here
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 04-08-12 at 05:59 AM. Reason: typo
    04-08-12 05:28 AM
    ok why does the op get attacked for asking a simple question, you fanboys need to chill out the playbook software is pure sh*te and you know it!

on topic, I paid £1 for the Lan file explorer and its very good, the usual suspects don't work like .mkv and ac3 encoded films. but the films that do work are perfect quality.

seriously this is the best way to watch films over your network so far, I tried orb and the picture quality was sh*t.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    bluezone1 likes this.
    04-08-12 05:42 AM

so it doesn't do, out of the box, what you expected it to do at the time of purchase. now you are whining about it not doing what you expected it to do.

the issue is you didn't do your research and are being called out on it.

seriously, go buy the second ipad because it will do what you want.
    04-08-12 06:01 AM
206 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD