Can we get them to do something that BBRY won't?

Android emulation 4.2?

http://www.myriadgroup.com/device-so...%20dalvik.aspx
    AWB70 and anon(5597702) like this.
    10-04-13 10:36 AM
    Can we get them to do something that BBRY won't?

Android emulation 4.2?

Myriad Group - Myriad Alien Dalvik
    Don't you mean ..... do something that BB.... CAN'T ?
    10-04-13 10:55 AM
    Would be great if they would get on board. Takes down one off the wish list.
    10-04-13 11:08 AM
    Big problem there is that Alien Dalvik is a technology offered to OEMs (device manufacturers) for inclusion in their OS, not developed independently of the OEM. BlackBerry would have to work with them to port Alien Dalvik to the PB OS and integrate it with an OS update. At that point, there is probably not a massive difference in back porting the BB10 Android runtime (which is about as capable as Alien by my understanding) to PB OS. Plus by taking that route, they wouldn't have to pay to license the technology from Myriad Group.

The crux of it all is this: BB have publicly declared they have no interest in investing more time and money into improving the PB (which is understandable really, I doubt it's ever been particularly profitable for them). So it's very unlikely the Android runtime will see any improvements, first or third party.

Without BB's approval and support, there's simply no way to implement Alien Dalvik.
    Cynycl likes this.
    10-04-13 01:01 PM
    When the ship is sinking it doesn't make sense to drop sailors over the side to do a little bit of painting.
    Cynycl likes this.
    10-04-13 01:14 PM
    When the ship is sinking it doesn't make sense to drop sailors over the side to do a little bit of painting.
    Especially when you been sailing around in circles for the past two years.
    10-04-13 01:20 PM
    With all due respect, it gets a bit tiring when I hear the PlayBook being criticised as being one of blackberry problems. The truth of it is, blackberry was the problem for the PlayBook. It's a symbol of what was going wrong with the company, a bit like the offspring when the master of the house has an encounter with one of the cleaning maids.
    I'm sure they would like to sweep the whole affair under the carpet and pretend it never happened but there's nothing wrong with the baby and the honourable thing to do would be at least look after it.
    The company, whatever situation the company finds itself in today for whatever reasons it still has billions and Arguably the third biggest market share in its field. Surely it must be worth spending a few quid on it. The majority of fixes that are needed wouldn't cost that much in big scheme of things. Don't know why they keep acting like they are sitting in their hq with coats on and the heating off having a whip round for coffee.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 04:42 PM
    They are going through that cash at an alarming rate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-04-13 07:34 PM
    I maybe understanding this wrong so bare with me Can alien not work with older Android devices so they can use the newer Android apps, so could it be somehow ported over so it would run inside the already installed old version currently installed on the Playbook?

To be fair my tech knowledge doesn't extend that far.
    10-05-13 11:11 AM
    I maybe understanding this wrong so bare with me Can alien not work with older Android devices so they can use the newer Android apps, so could it be somehow ported over so it would run inside the already installed old version currently installed on the Playbook?

To be fair my tech knowledge doesn't extend that far.
    I don't know if that would be possible or not (if it were, it would be dalvik running within dalvik, VM inside a VM, not very efficient so probably slower), but it would still require BB to work together with (and pay) Myriad. As I said above, I can't see that happening.
    10-05-13 11:15 AM
    according to the interweb BB considered porting darvik before going their own way so there is likely along with other projects tucked away in the big drawer a beta version of darvik running on a frankenbook.

they will have started running a few options before being whittled down to the final two then last one.
    12-04-13 01:25 AM