"I think you're seeing an evolution of a platform … you should not expect [BBX] to be behind the PlayBook," - Alec Saunders.

All I can say is that I'll more than likely cry myself to sleep tonight.

What are the differences in OS 2.0 and BBX because we're getting OS 2.0 in February. Not BBX.

Is BBX supposed to come a few months after when the colt and platform is released? Cause it seem silly to release 2.0 then a few months later remodel the whole thing to BBX.
    Last edited by marksthespot60; 11-10-11 at 04:12 AM.
    11-10-11 12:53 AM
    11-10-11 01:00 AM
    I think you are reading his quote out of context...I think he meant BBX will not be lacking the features that PlayBook doesn't have (i.e. BES support and native email will be there at the start, rather than having to wait until some future date)...

Consider how RIM's pushing dev's to use the PlayBook to develop BBX apps and the statements that the BBX OS unites the smartphone and tablet platforms, I wouldn't be too concerned (of course, this is RIM, so who can say for certain...)
    donan71, diegonei and menaknow like this.
    11-10-11 01:11 AM
    "I think you're seeing an evolution of a platform � you should not expect [BBX] to be behind the PlayBook," - Alec Saunders.
    He said "behind the PlayBook", not "on the PlayBook". He's talking about the evolution of the platform, and saying BBX won't be behind the PlayBook in features. Expect bezel gestures, expect HDMI out, expect a front camera, etc.

This isn't surprising given that BBX is just a renamed Tablet OS. I expect we'll see Tablet OS 2.0 in February, and BBX 3.0 whenever it comes to phones. This doesn't mean they won't have improved things/changed the look of things, but on a technical level it will be built on the same framework.
    00stryder, diegonei and menaknow like this.
    11-10-11 01:15 AM
    I for one, am getting tired of how RIM is handling things. They're starting to look like a joke. They can't do nothing right. They sell dreams. They remind me of people in the MLM industry so much.lol

I can't believe we have to wait til Feb' for OS2! WTH, RIM? I'm ready to jump ship soon. Once Windows 8 Tab pops up, I'm in there! RIM let me down, one too many times.

This picture best describes on how I feel

11-10-11 01:20 AM
    I'm so glad I'm wrong. He meant it in a literal sense then. Behind, in terms of features. So to be clear then, OS 2.0 is BBX? That's what I want but they seem VERY particular in calling it OS 2.0 and not using "BBX". If that is not so then when is the playbook going to run BBX?
    11-10-11 01:42 AM
    All great questions. The answers are unknown though. At this stage I bet RIM don't know.
    marksthespot60 likes this.
    11-10-11 02:14 AM
    all you have to do is miss quote a RIM exec (the most popular thing to do here) and all the regular babies are on it, crying again. Most threatened to leave a long time ago. so go!
    AZ87 and donan71 like this.
    11-10-11 02:43 AM
    I for one, am getting tired of how RIM is handling things. They're starting to look like a joke. They can't do nothing right. They sell dreams. They remind me of people in the MLM industry so much.lol

I can't believe we have to wait til Feb' for OS2! WTH, RIM? I'm ready to jump ship soon. Once Windows 8 Tab pops up, I'm in there! RIM let me down, one too many times.

This picture best describes on how I feel

Click to view quoted image
    Funny thing is you're waiting for Windows 8 too, so it doesn't seem like microsoft is doing much better. But I don't mean to make light of the wait, I was pretty astonished when they announced the Feb release. I think RIM just really has their own schedule and they are going to do what they feel is best, despite all the NA whinning.

I do think they people need to relax a little more with RIM, either that or react to other companies the same. I'm still astonished the reports about BB7 being delayed till after summer and the huge uproar to that and then they ended up coming out on time, yet no one gives them credit for that.

Meanwhile Apple was supposed to release iPhone 5 in June, then was supposed to release it for the beginning of school season, then it got pushed back to October, then they released the iPhone 4S. Like come on, why is no one having a fit over this.
    Just shows there is a pretty huge double standard right now. If bad news about a company is going to be reported RIMs name is inserted, if its good news, its anybody but RIM.
    11-10-11 03:03 AM
    MS doesn't have to sell W8 to make money though. If bbx\whatever you wanna call it doesn't sell rim is actually dead. W8 will probably do poorly and then the next iteration will sell like gangbusters like they usually do....
    11-10-11 03:07 AM
    MS doesn't have to sell W8 to make money though. If bbx\whatever you wanna call it doesn't sell rim is actually dead. W8 will probably do poorly and then the next iteration will sell like gangbusters like they usually do....
    Got it. RIM bad, everyone else good.

So RIM has to get it right the first time, Windows, you get 2 tries.

I guess RIM doesn't make any money selling phones, and please don't bring up decreased US market share, I only care about money.

You just keep waiting for RIM to die. QNX's feelings are hurt by what you think, it just becomes stronger and more powerful. One day it will run an iOS app, an Android app, and a Windows 8 app, and you will be able to multi-task between them.
    11-10-11 03:13 AM
    Wow you completely misunderstood what I said and inserted your own agenda there... Congrats
    howarmat likes this.
    11-10-11 03:18 AM
    all you have to do is miss quote a RIM exec (the most popular thing to do here) and all the regular babies are on it, crying again. Most threatened to leave a long time ago. so go!
    Glad to see you are adding to the conversation..

I haven't really seen anyone misquote anyone from RIM, so I'm not sure what babies you are talkinga bout.
    11-10-11 07:00 AM
    Got it. RIM bad, everyone else good.

So RIM has to get it right the first time, Windows, you get 2 tries.

I guess RIM doesn't make any money selling phones, and please don't bring up decreased US market share, I only care about money.
    You just keep waiting for RIM to die. QNX's feelings are hurt by what you think, it just becomes stronger and more powerful. One day it will run an iOS app, an Android app, and a Windows 8 app, and you will be able to multi-task between them.
    I'm pretty sure they are related
    11-10-11 07:07 AM
    BBX is the name that Tablet OS will eventually become. Playbook OS 2.0 is not BBX because it will not have BBM at least, and may be missing a few other features that we expect in a BB device, and those features will be on the BBX phone. Once they get the issue worked out and all the features are available on both the Playbook and the BBX phone you will see the OS name change to BBX on the Playbook. At least that is how I envision things going down.
    howarmat and Dapper37 like this.
    11-10-11 08:59 AM
    BBX is the unified OS for RIM's mobile products. In other words, BBX will be equivalent to iOS and Android's ICS. They are all designed to work on both phones and tablets.
    11-10-11 10:03 AM
    BBX is the name that Tablet OS will eventually become. Playbook OS 2.0 is not BBX because it will not have BBM at least, and may be missing a few other features that we expect in a BB device, and those features will be on the BBX phone. Once they get the issue worked out and all the features are available on both the Playbook and the BBX phone you will see the OS name change to BBX on the Playbook. At least that is how I envision things going down.
    PB 1.0.7 IS already QNX core funded, moving two letters doesn't change a bit of code. Of course OS2 is QNX/BBX/Whateveryoucallit, and the choice made not to implement BBX or BIS/BES functionalities have almost nothing related to the OS.

In fact, it's not even client (the PB) software related, instead it's server software (BIS/BES) and infrastructures related : the problem is about PIN that is unique on each device, which is a core security key all over the worldwide RIM's solutions. Just imagine how sensitive any change can be ...

Provided that RIM cannot endanger the phone market and that they have not solved this ... they just don't release native BBM (or other BIS/BES PIN related services) on PB.
    But this doesn't make OS2 "de-branded" !

EDIT: I've just re-read lnichols' post. Well, let's say mine tries to point out that it IS BBX whether it wears the name of OS2.0. Sorry if it was not clear (see bellow).
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-10-11 at 10:31 AM.
    11-10-11 10:12 AM
    Meanwhile Apple was supposed to release iPhone 5 in June, then was supposed to release it for the beginning of school season, then it got pushed back to October, then they released the iPhone 4S. Like come on, why is no one having a fit over this.
    I'm thinking it's because they sold 20+ million iPhones in the quarter ending in June 2011, which is the most they've sold in any quarter. Releasing a new model shifts down the priority list when the current model is breaking your own sales records. RIM's problem is that in the run-up to its new devices, its sales were tailing off, and even Jim B. was claiming that the sales issues was the result of the "aging lineup," even as RIM is solely responsible for the age of its devices.

Glad to see you are adding to the conversation..

I haven't really seen anyone misquote anyone from RIM, so I'm not sure what babies you are talkinga bout.
    Exactly. There's a difference between misquoting someone and simply misunderstanding what was said. But, on balance, if you don't know the word is "misquote" and not "miss quote," I can't really expect you to grasp the meaning difference between "misquote" and a "misunderstanding."
    11-10-11 10:35 AM
    The phones have healthy margins. The problem is that RIM is now pouring those margins into supporting the PlayBook, which isn't making them any money. Their YoY profits are down, despite adding the PlayBook, for this very reason.
    11-10-11 10:37 AM
    Is it just me that inferred that by BBX Alec is talking about the interface? By BBX, he means the OS will look different than the Tablet OS.

Which is great news because having two different things won't be like having the same thing, just in 2 different form factors. They'll be two actual different products, hardware and software (interface) wise. But will still be unified because they use the same groundwork.

Edit: Nevermind. Just finished reading the article. They said it'll look just like the Tablet OS.

Edit 2: But I'm not sure if they're talking about the hardware or the software. I'm leaning towards hardware it's gonna look like the Playbook.
    Last edited by mithrazor; 11-10-11 at 11:05 AM.
    11-10-11 10:59 AM
    PB 1.0.7 IS already QNX core funded, moving two letters doesn't change a bit of code. Of course OS2 is QNX/BBX/Whateveryoucallit, and the choice made not to implement BBX or BIS/BES functionalities have almost nothing related to the OS.

In fact, it's not even client (the PB) software related, instead it's server software (BIS/BES) and infrastructures related : the problem is about PIN that is unique on each device, which is a core security key all over the worldwide RIM's solutions. Just imagine how sensitive any change can be ...

Provided that RIM cannot endanger the phone market and that they have not solved this ... they just don't release native BBM (or other BIS/BES PIN related services) on PB.
    But this doesn't make OS2 "de-branded" !

EDIT: I've just re-read lnichols' post. Well, let's say mine tries to point out that it IS BBX whether it wears the name of OS2.0. Sorry if it was not clear (see bellow).
    Yes I'm saying that BBX will be very similar to Playbook OS2.0 (because it is the same OS), and eventually the Playbook's OS will be called BBX. If they say it is BBX, and the BBX phone can do BBM and the BBX Playbook can't people will complain. Once the they get the multiple device to single BBM thing worked out and the features on both the handheld and the Playbook are identical, they will say at that point the Playbook is running BBX.
    11-10-11 01:07 PM
    I'm so glad I'm wrong. He meant it in a literal sense then. Behind, in terms of features. So to be clear then, OS 2.0 is BBX? That's what I want but they seem VERY particular in calling it OS 2.0 and not using "BBX". If that is not so then when is the playbook going to run BBX?
    Tablet OS 2.0 is not BBX in a marketing sense. What's going to happen is they'll release Tablet OS 2.0 then rename it to BBX. So I expect the first BBX we'll see will be called BBX 3.0, and it will be on phones and the PlayBook. Despite the name change it is just a new version of the same OS, so all the Tablet OS apps are compatible.

OS2 will have BIS/BES, that's been confirmed. BES was 2.0 was shown off at Devcon. I'm not sure what will change between OS2 and the first BBX version, other than native BBM. Even then, I've heard that BBM works on OS2, but it doesn't have PIN integration yet. Meaning you'd show up twice on everyone's contact lists. That's the only reason they're not releasing it.
    Last edited by taylortbb; 11-10-11 at 01:14 PM.
    11-10-11 01:10 PM
    Tablet OS 2.0 is not BBX in a marketing sense. What's going to happen is they'll release Tablet OS 2.0 then rename it to BBX. So I expect the first BBX we'll see will be called BBX 3.0, and it will be on phones and the PlayBook. Despite the name change it is just a new version of the same OS, so all the Tablet OS apps are compatible.

OS2 will have BIS/BES, that's been confirmed. BES was 2.0 was shown off at Devcon. I'm not sure what will change between OS2 and the first BBX version, other than native BBM. Even then, I've heard that BBM works on OS2, but it doesn't have PIN integration yet. Meaning you'd show up twice on everyone's contact lists. That's the only reason they're not releasing it.

I agree with you. I think they will wait to launch OS2 which (hopefully) will be a big deal and (hopefully) will fix everything everyone is b*tching about. Followed up by BBX phones which (hopefully) will kick *** and get some good adoption. And (hopefully) when it gains popularity and is a hit with DEVS, then they will update the OS2 name to BBX with an incremental update to (hopefully) WOW everyone especially DEVs that the PB and phones are running the same BBX OS and if they write an app for one, it will be the same for both platforms hence increasing the amount of revenue DEVS can potentially make. Coupled with the droid apps DEVs can easily port to android player, that will quickly ramp up their apps # and (hopefully) RIM is all of a sudden in the game again.

Alot a (hopefullys) in there and had you told me this story this time last year, I woulda said, that's a sound game plan, but with the way those 2 clowns are fumbling every chance they get, I'm sure they will f*ck this plan up too.
    11-10-11 02:08 PM
    Funny thing is you're waiting for Windows 8 too, so it doesn't seem like microsoft is doing much better. But I don't mean to make light of the wait, I was pretty astonished when they announced the Feb release. I think RIM just really has their own schedule and they are going to do what they feel is best, despite all the NA whinning.

I do think they people need to relax a little more with RIM, either that or react to other companies the same. I'm still astonished the reports about BB7 being delayed till after summer and the huge uproar to that and then they ended up coming out on time, yet no one gives them credit for that.

Just shows there is a pretty huge double standard right now. If bad news about a company is going to be reported RIMs name is inserted, if its good news, its anybody but RIM.
    Dont even mention iPhone 5 and Apple. Everyone using Apple hardware less than 36 months old got iOS5. What did we get? more confusion and a piece of bone with no meat called developer beta. You want to say we got BBOS 7? Yea well we have to ditch less than one year old phone hardware for it!
    11-10-11 05:16 PM
    This is my understanding too. I think it will be interesting to see how the interfaces differ between the Playbook and Phones. I'm hoping they have something unique for the phones, but within a similar theme. I thinks boring if they make them both exactly the same UI.
    steppinghorse likes this.
    11-10-11 05:46 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD