They did eventually give us the heads up for OS2.0 and 2.1 release, plus or minus a month.
    Heh... I reckon what finally drove the release of both 2.0 and 2.1 was RIM's sheer embarrassment at the open ridicule they were getting over the OS release dates (mostly announced via tweets from Jennifer Saunders, I recall) that were master-classes in meaningless double-speak. Like I said earlier, the tweet about OS2.1 being "right around the corner" was a personal favourite, and an exemplar of the sort of non-specific nonsense that posed as release estimates.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 02-02-13 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Grammar, Coz it does matter!
    jcbrunson and balding1 like this.
    02-02-13 01:08 PM
    Hey guys, I think we should just appreciate that PB owners will get BB10 updated for free. Like when WP8 was released, those using previous WP versions were not getting an update - they'd have to buy a new device to get WP8. Also, consider the size of BB and their financial situation right now. They have only a finite number of people working on one thing at a time, and they've been working their behinds off getting BB10 release asap. Give these people a little slack...at least for now.

My guess is we might see BB10 update on PB around mid- to late summer, after Q10 release and things start to settle (and several nerve-racking earnings call later). For the time being, I think our Z10 and (later Q10) is more than enough to tie us over till the PB update.
    jcbrunson likes this.
    02-02-13 01:41 PM
    You noobs are so funny, your mathes is all wrong

Yes later this year gives a 10 month window, but you totally forgot to factor in the inevitable announcement of the dreaded DELAY which will be given a few months before release, then the fact that the wifi versions will get this first, then the 3g versions a few months later, then USA a further few more months later

A good rule of thumb, take a Blackberry release date and multiply by 2, divide by 3 and add 20% with 2 tea spoons of sugar and a baked potato to get the launch date
    jcbrunson, ddlax22, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    02-02-13 01:49 PM
    Whew. Ya know, that was just a morning rant of frustration. The sad truth is, I'm still a huge BB supporter. I just don't like to be made a fool, 'cause it should be obvious that I don't need any help with that.....

Time will tell, I would just like to know when.

Hoot
    I thought I replied earlier to this but don't see it now.

I've been there and done that too many times lol. Sometimes it does good to just get it out. I've have to learned to just hold back more now lol.

It's all cool and we all get frustrated at times.
    02-02-13 02:14 PM
    Just posted on twitter.....
    Why don't you tweet back...you'll be buying a blackberry 10 after you get the playbook update....Sometime later this YEAR....
    jcbrunson, nofiz and smallbiz like this.
    02-02-13 02:15 PM
    Why don't you tweet back...you'll be buying a blackberry 10 after you get the playbook update....Sometime later this YEAR....
    LOVE. IT! Hah! Definitely an appropriate response! And also ask when Patsy and Edina are getting back together...
    Alec Saunders tweets BB10 coming to  PlayBook later this year-blog_suntimes.jpg
    02-02-13 02:22 PM
    I don't know much about the stats on q1 or q4 sales, etc, i just don't follow that stuff. What i do know is that it's been quite a while in my area of canada since anyone can buy a pb because they are constantly sold out. Workers @ future shop told me they outsold ipads by a mile. Maybe bb wants the public focused on the new phones for now. I thought i also read there are 6 new bb phones in all rolling out in 2013. Maybe wrong about that but if so the pb bb10 update may be more in line with one of these other phone releases closer the year end holidays to keep hype rolling all year. Just my thoughts. Cheers!
    02-02-13 02:26 PM
    They did eventually give us the heads up for OS2.0 and 2.1 release, plus or minus a month.
    Yes they probably did give plus or minus a month, too bad they were off by plus or minus a year.lol
    02-02-13 02:30 PM
    Yes they probably did give plus or minus a month, too bad they were off by plus or minus a year.lol
    Okay okay, point taken. We have been blocking (blacking?) out all of 2011 and parts of 2012 when it comes to BlackBerry phones and tablets...
    balding1 likes this.
    02-02-13 02:35 PM
    to be honest this is one of the reasons why I haven't jumped on board with buying into the BB10 phone, I'm at the end of contract with my samsung so I have an open market for my next phone. but there is no way I'm even going to consider a Z10 based on the balls-up they did with the playbook, how long did we have to wait for RIM to actually issue an update to make the playbook usable, who knows BB10 might start showing issues over the next few months that turns people away from buying into the BB10 platform so much so that Blackberry actually collapses.

I love my PB but not that much that I would make another purchase of another Blackberry product unless it is shown to be rock solid and that there is a future for this platform. I have 4 Playbooks in the family and everyone loves the Playbooks but they do moan about not being able to use Netfix, Skype and other Apps that are on other platforms.

Would I like to see BB10 on my playbooks now, of course I would, do I think I will see that happen within the next 60, 90, 120 days no not a chance the playbook was forgotten about after OS2.1 update, and with the release of the new phone now here in the UK and everywhere else over the next 60 days I would think that every Dev will be working on Apps for BB10 rather than our platform so expect the tumble-weeds to start rolling in our App World, we are low on Blackberry's Radar now they have used us as a beta testing platform and maybe should Blackberry start getting guilt pains about how the playbook fiasco was handled then and only then will we see any movement in our product of choice.
    imz, JeepBB, brianatbb and 1 others like this.
    02-02-13 02:39 PM
    I would love to argue this point, but hard to deny the truth.
    balding1 and playbook_newbie like this.
    02-02-13 02:58 PM
    One thing everyone is forgetting with the PB release was that at the time PB was released it was still under the old co-CEO management team. From what I see now, BB's new management team are doing quite a good job. So I still believe we may see the BB10 update on the PB sooner than our pessimistic estimates.
    02-02-13 02:59 PM
    I had 4 BB phones, upgrade always when the contract was finished, even bought one unlocked

the only reason why I use BB phones is that I travel extensively overseas
    I have Tmobile here in the US,, customer since 12 years and they love me
    I can turn on my BB roaming for $20 a month, so for a 2 week trip its $10 to get all my emails
    Plus I can turn my cellular voice to forwarding to my Vonage where I get my my voice messages transcribes as an email
    And I can use WIFI to make all my calls back to the US for free within my plan free minutes
    And I use Comwave for all other international calls, at least until PB will get SKYPE - inshallah

In to most countries ( EU and UAE) I travel a have a local prepaid SIM which I use in on old unlocked BB phone for calls and SMS
    my problem is that I can not upload and/or sync my over 20,000 contact with an BB phone and the PB
    my native google account only accepts 10,000 contacts
    I thought BB10 would have the capacity to sync all the contact to my BP, but there is not one contact app for that size of database
    and we talk of the BB and BP as a business tool, for me they fail
    so I still travel with a 5Lb Dell Laptop which gets heavier by the time

Using an Iphone and Android phone I hear horror stories from my friends coming back from their overseas trips, like $500 cellphone bills because theri email is downloaded with data roaming, while the email with BB is through their own GSM 2 and edge 2,5
    02-02-13 03:20 PM
    Alec is great at Dev relations, but the users need someone who gives them cold hard facts. I bought the playbook for OS 2.0, not BB10. I was hoping to be able to test out BB10 on it before getting a phone, but that's not looking likely. BBRY really should get someone on their team to give solid dates and information to the users.
    02-02-13 04:05 PM
    Later this...year?! Like in August or November? Right!! I could say "I can't believe it", but unfortunately I can...

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    02-02-13 04:32 PM
    Alec is great at Dev relations, but the users need someone who gives them cold hard facts. I bought the playbook for OS 2.0, not BB10. I was hoping to be able to test out BB10 on it before getting a phone, but that's not looking likely. BBRY really should get someone on their team to give solid dates and information to the users.
    Hmmm... whilst I'm sure Jennifer is a nice person, not cruel to small children or animals, etc; I've long since discounted anything he tweets as meaningless propaganda aimed at keeping hope alive.

There's a considerable history of cryptic tweets from him that promise nothing whilst sounding upbeat and which are seized upon and picked over on these forums like Delphic prophecies. That's all OK and I bear him no grudge, because I recognise that it is after all part of his job description.

As to someone else on the team giving out solid dates ... frankly, I don't think anyone in RIM knows what those dates are yet. Oh, I'm sure they have plans and proposals but (IMHO) nothing will become "solid" until the dust settles on the Z10 launch and they have some sales figures as evidence of BB10 success to allow them to pick which plan to go with.
    jcbrunson and balding1 like this.
    02-02-13 04:36 PM
    Later this...year?! Like in August or November? Right!! I could say "I can't believe it", but unfortunately I can...

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    Why would you think they would release it in November? They still have all of December to it right the first time..
    02-02-13 04:40 PM
    The Blackberry Playbook makes the Surface Pro or Samsung Galaxy Note 8 look pretty good, at any price. Keep in mind some of us bought 2 Playbook 16GB units at $500 each! We bought them for what they would be capable of at launch according to RIM. BB10 on my old Playbooks would moderate the bitterness, maybe. Maybe it's already too late...
    Last edited by note2; 02-02-13 at 06:15 PM.
    02-02-13 06:01 PM
    I would like to say that this is unacceptable and Blackberry Playbook owners should be doing everything possible to tell Blackberry they have done the wrong thing. If you purchased a Playbook when they were first released, as I did, your hardware will be nearly two years old. Playbook owners have been used as beta testers for that whole time while the kinks were ironed out for BB10, we have waited patiently for updates that were promised, then promised again, such as email and Calendar. We still put up with small niggles in our operating system, legacies of an underdeveloped product.

Blackberry devalued our original investment by heavily discounting the Playbook soon after launch. They promised us that our devices would receive BB10 updates, now you are saying later this year or, as their CEO stated, eventually.

Playbook owners are some of the best brand ambassadors Blackberry has, they are early adopters, advocates and promoters of the brand. I expect that almost every Playbook owner was waiting for their BB10 upgrade to preview the new OS and would almost certainly have purchased a new phone off the back of the upgrade.

Now, they are own a piece of hardware that is nearly two years old, and will have an OS that cannot take advantage of the BB10 ecosystem. At least three new iPads come to the market in this time, including a 7 inch Playbook competitor.

I have been a staunch Blackberry user and advocate, especially within the company I work but I feel that Blackberry have stiffed Playbook owners and we should be angry.

Blackberry can make whatever decisions they want in relation to how they support their customers. But I think they owe Playbook owners for all the reasons I have just mentioned. I was thinking of starting some sort of campaign to draw attention to this issue and now I think I might.

Playbook owners should have seen BB10 released to their devices at launch, at the very least, we should get the upgrade this month. This is an issue of Blackberry treating their loyal customers with the respect they deserve and keeping their word.
    Agreed! It seems Blackberry has written off the Playbook early adopters from day one. Definitely feels like a beta testing exercise at my expense. The good thing is there are plenty of very good alternatives out there. Once bitten, twice shy, forever!
    02-02-13 06:04 PM
    Maybe BlackBerry is worried that if they push bb10 to playbook it may cause playbook owners to either delay or not purchase a phone????
    That would only be rational if they expect bb10 to disappoint users. Otherwise the reverse should be true: getting PB users on bb10 should encourage them to buy bb10 phones.
    02-02-13 06:19 PM
    I don't know much about the stats on q1 or q4 sales, etc, i just don't follow that stuff. What i do know is that it's been quite a while in my area of canada since anyone can buy a pb because they are constantly sold out. Workers @ future shop told me they outsold ipads by a mile.
    Do we really need this kind of BS? Apple has sold over 100 million ipads. Rim has sold some two million PBs. So tell us please at which Future Shop PB is outselling iPads "by a mile"? Wishful thinking doesn't cut it here anymore, dude.
    jcbrunson likes this.
    02-02-13 06:29 PM
    Yeah, but look at the forthcoming Lenovo Helix.
    02-02-13 07:40 PM
    Do we really need this kind of BS? Apple has sold over 100 million ipads. Rim has sold some two million PBs. So tell us please at which Future Shop PB is outselling iPads "by a mile"? Wishful thinking doesn't cut it here anymore, dude.
    In the uk playbooks are officially outselling the equivalent size ipad mini by some way
    02-02-13 07:49 PM
    I wouldn't get your hopes up for a timely release on BB10 for the PlayBook. At the NYC event during the press conference with RIM, my colleague and I asked the second or third question and it was about the PlayBook and the tablet space in general. Thorsten's response was telling because he basically said that while BB10 would be coming "later this year" to the PB, he also went on at length about how BBRY views the tablet space.

My tape recorder is at the office but I'll paraphrase: "we've totally failed in the tablet market and while we know it is important to the futureof computing, we're not focusing on it now and have no plans to do more with tablets at this time."

His exact words were something like "focusing on areas where we can be competitive and profitable."

After he finished speaking, I turned to my colleague and said, "OK, so the story is BBRY is done with the tablet market." Not sure if we ever wrote it as a separate story (if we didn't, we should have) but I will probably turn it into an op-ed of sorts tomorrow or Monday about what that means for the ecosystem strategically.

Honestly, if you're not going to have really strong phone/tablet interconnectivity, I'm not sure it makes that much sense to try to do both products at the same time.

Still, for people who remained loyal to the platform, I can see why this would be a slap in the face.

If BB10 is successful, I absolutely expect BBRY to enter the tablet market again, but I also expect it to be in a product and execution that looks totally different from the PlayBook.
    JeepBB and the_sleuth like this.
    02-02-13 07:50 PM
    The Blackberry Playbook makes the Surface Pro or Samsung Galaxy Note 8 look pretty good, at any price. Keep in mind some of us bought 2 Playbook 16GB units at $500 each! We bought them for what they would be capable of at launch according to RIM. BB10 on my old Playbooks would moderate the bitterness, maybe. Maybe it's already too late...

Yes $699 for a 7 inch in July 2011
    for the price as a 10 inch IPad

-fool me once - shame on me
    - fool me twice - double shame on me - or just blind love
    02-02-13 07:50 PM
168 ... 23456 ...