JasW Crackberry genius, where are you when we need you!

Four out of about 500 of my album covers did not sync correctly to Playbook and it is a mystery. I added album art to all my ID tags using mp3tag (a GREAT program!). I deleted all music from my Playbook and resynced. In mp3tag, every song in each of these four albums shows the correct album art. But two of the albums are still showing placeholders on the Playbook and the other two are showing the wrong album covers, even though they have the right covers in mp3tag. The only thing I can think of is WMP is somehow still linking to the wrong album covers (or not finding album art) and Blackberry Desktop is picking up those links and syncing them to the Playbook. I have checked the folders for the two albums with the wrong art and there is no folder.jpg in them where Blackberry could be plucking art from.

Does anyone know what they is going on? and how to fix it?

Is there a way to set up WMP (and iTunes for that matter) to embed album art into the song tags automatically instead of linking to the art so we don't have to go through the rigamaroll of tagging?

Also, isn't there a book or a guide somewhere that goes into detail on WMP (and iTUnes) sync issues, especially this maddening, chronic album art problem? It would be so much easier for all of us if there was a manual we could get a hold of instead of constantly hunting the fractured help sites for this stuff.

Oh, and while we're at it, why is my WMP constantly "retrieving media information for unknown album"? How do I stop that?

Thanks everybody.

02-01-12 07:02 AM
    Right here, dude! One thing I have noticed is that the PB can take a long time to settle and read all the music files and playlists after syncing with DTS. So give it some time.

If you already have given it some time, and all really is showing up OK in mp3tag AND WMP/iTunes but not on the PB for a particular album, you can MacGyver it by copying the album art from your PC directly into the album folder on the PB and renaming it folder.jpg there.

Another way you can check is buy pointing mp3tag to the album directory on the PB and checking to make sure all of the songs on the album have album art. From what you are telling me, I would bet no, and (for some reason) regardless of whether they are showing the correct album art when you look at those same files on the PC.
    Markweaver likes this.
    02-01-12 07:10 AM
    The program Album Art Downloader is your friend.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    02-01-12 07:24 AM
    Do you have the BlackBerry Desktop software loaded on your computer? Are you syncing the music using the Destop Manager?

I notice with my Mac that there is a Rim daemon running to check for album art changes. Here is the line from the console output.

Feb 1 08:55:13 ss-iMac RimAlbumArtDaemon[710]: Monitoring folder for changes: /Users/username/Music/iTunes/Album Artwork
    02-01-12 07:32 AM
    My music files were fine when I was removing my memory card and adding music that way. My problem of album art not working started when I downlloaded BB Link and it automatically started to sync my music.

First off, it does not matter if your sync is set to Microsoft media player or Itunes. The problem was that when Link sync-ed, files were added to my memory card, all over the place, and this caused a permenent error on the card, reformatting was needed. These files are "folder.jpg" and "bbthumb.dat". ALL those files need to be deleted, there had been about 30 created on mine. The way I found them was I searched my micro sd on my PC, (some BBthumb files may be hidden so make sure that setting is on). I used the search function of all files in "windows explorer" to do this (this is not the same as windows internet explorer). After I deleted those and any other I did not recognize, I copied the entire card (pictures etc as well) to my desktop in a folder. Then I put the card back in the z10 and reformatted the card. Then, I put the card back in the PC and put everything from the folder I had created back on the card. Success! I am so glad it worked, I was not happy with no album art, my whole music collection is on that 16 gb card! I hope this helps someone! It took me 3 hours of reading forums to combine all answers I had seen!

I have now permanently UNINSTALLED BBlink from my PC and will not use it. It is not necessary, and clearly has some bugs for my set up anyway
    (I run a PC with windows 7)
    03-14-13 10:06 PM
    I have tons of issues with album artwork, but I'm starting to think that it's a myriad of problems vs. one big one. I was pretty particular about putting album art in iTunes 'cause I like to see it. Sometimes iTunes would collect the album art, often it would completely fail so I'd manually add it.

What I've found though, is that the artwork displays incorrectly on a regular basis. For example, you'll have the correct art in iTunes, no art showing on Apple TV or iPhone, and the wrong album cover on a PlayBook. or any combination thereof. It's just never consistent.

Leads me to believe iTunes is flaky when dealing with album art and there are also bugs associated with this in other apps on the device and on the desktop.
    03-15-13 01:30 PM
    I use MP3Tag to add album art manually to my music, and the covers display fine and nicely on my torch, but since upgrading to the Z10 I realized that the resolution for the covers is really low. I am now going back putting higher resolution covers on the songs, some of them show up in the phone while others don't. I am not sure what is going on.
    03-25-13 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD