I decided I wanted to use my PB to replace my bedside alarm clock, so I downloaded a decent
    clock app. I set it up and got it working, but here's the problem...

The alarm wouldn't go off at the time I set, because I didn't have the app "open". Does that mean
    that there isn't an app that will run in the background all the time, without having the app open??

Given the absence of a native alarm clock like my 9900 has...I would think that a basic clock app should
    always be running in the background, so that it will go off, even if you forget to "open" the app on the screen.

Any ideas?
    12-11-12 03:15 PM
    The alarm wouldn't go off at the time I set, because I didn't have the app "open". Does that mean
    that there isn't an app that will run in the background all the time, without having the app open??
    Yup, as far as I know, there are no invisible, "background" apps on the PB. Alarm Clock apps won't work unless they're running (i.e. showing in your running apps list). I use Antair Nightstand, but it only works if I manually run it as an app.
    12-11-12 03:21 PM
    You will need to the app open in order for it to work. Once bb10 drops things should change.
    12-11-12 03:22 PM
    Thanks, folks...at least I know I'm not crazy. Not sure why RIM didn't simply integrate a basic alarm clock function into
    the PB...if they can do it in a phone, I am certain it could (and should) have been done in the PB.

Guess I'll wait until BB10 before getting rid of my bedside alarm clock. I'm not taking the chance that I may forget to
    open the app before bedtime.
    12-11-12 03:38 PM
    Ah hah, but see:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...54#post7775054

The built-in alarm works regardless of what's open apparently. But it only allows for one alarm I think, which is frustrating as most people need one for work and one for weekends.
    12-11-12 03:40 PM
    Ah hah, but see:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...54#post7775054

The built-in alarm works regardless of what's open apparently. But it only allows for one alarm I think, which is frustrating as most people need one for work and one for weekends.
    Ok, I checked out the thread, and can't find an alarm setting in the calendar. I can set up appointments, but not an alarm. Am I missing something?
    12-11-12 03:49 PM
    If you open the native Clock app on the PlayBook, you can add multiple clocks with 1 Alarm per clock and just rename that clock something easy to remember the alarm by such as "Weekend Alarm" or "8:00am Alarm". The only pita is that you have to select each specific clock as your Home Clock and turn the Alarm on for that clock each time you want to enable that alarm lol like I said, pita but it is a work around for those that don't want to have an Alarm Clock app running all night. I just use Antair Nightstand and plug in my PlayBook everynight.
    katesbb likes this.
    12-11-12 03:50 PM
    If you open the native Clock app on the PlayBook, you can add multiple clocks with 1 Alarm per clock and just rename that clock something easy to remember the alarm by such as "Weekend Alarm" or "8:00am Alarm". The only pita is that you have to select each specific clock as your Home Clock and turn the Alarm on for that clock each time you want to enable that alarm lol like I said, pita but it is a work around for those that don't want to have an Alarm Clock app running all night. I just use Antair Nightstand and plug in my PlayBook everynight.
    Ahhhh...thanks...I forgot about the native clock app!! I had it buried away in my System folder! I only want one alarm for work as it is, so this may be the ticket!

I bought a desktop cradle charger for this exact reason, so I'll have to try it out tomorrow.

Thanks, much!!

EDIT: Just ran a dummy test run, by setting a time, closing all apps, turning off screen, and waiting......worked like a charm!!! )
    12-11-12 03:56 PM
    Ahhhh...thanks...I forgot about the native clock app!! I had it buried away in my System folder! I only want one alarm for work as it is, so this may be the ticket!

I bought a desktop cradle charger for this exact reason, so I'll have to try it out tomorrow.

Thanks, much!!

EDIT: Just ran a dummy test run, by setting a time, closing all apps, turning off screen, and waiting......worked like a charm!!! )
    You're welcome and glad I could help People, myself included, tend to forget that "a lot" of what they want an app to do, BlackBerry already does natively. Just shows how well some companies have convinced us that we "need" apps to do stuff. Maybe because "their" products don't do this stuff already lol
    12-12-12 08:24 AM
    As the reference to the other thread indicated, there is also an inherent ALARM function in the PB. As shown in the attachment outlined in RED, tap the area at the top of the home where the Time/Date shows and you can set an alarm, shown in the second attachment.

You can also use the Calendar app to set an alarm (event - recurring if you want) and use the Clock app/program. A few different ways to set an alarm Natively without a 3rd party program.
    Attached Thumbnails Alarm Clock App Problem...-time-date.jpg   Alarm Clock App Problem...-img_00000245.jpg  
    12-12-12 09:27 AM
    There's an app for everything in this modern world, be it is alarm clock app or hotel safes app, just go to the blackberry app store you will find everything.
    12-04-13 12:32 AM