Just curious what is left as an OS after doing a security wipe. Other threads say to do a security wipe as it allows the latest OS to be put in clean vs. over the top of an existing OS. If that is true, then the only thing that should be on the PB after the wipe is some basic ROM info that allows the basics to be entered (WiFi connection,etc.) and the new OS to be downloaded and installed.
    12-26-12 12:58 AM
    I recently did this, and it returns the PB to factory state and back to original OS.

however, it also deletes ALL personal data, and this also includes all the demo videos such as the 1080p powerboat film, and all the wallpapers etc - know idea why? but if you still want them, back them up along with all your other personal data as well.

oddly enough, it also adds most, but not all, apps into the deleted apps file within AppWorld, this allows you to reinstall quickly and easily - but increases the memory being used, if space is at a premium on your PB.

hope this helps
    12-26-12 03:59 AM
    Just curious what is left as an OS after doing a security wipe. Other threads say to do a security wipe as it allows the latest OS to be put in clean vs. over the top of an existing OS. If that is true, then the only thing that should be on the PB after the wipe is some basic ROM info that allows the basics to be entered (WiFi connection,etc.) and the new OS to be downloaded and installed.
    I think that's a good question. I guess one way to know is to wipe and then go through the set up process without entering any wifi login details. I am wondering what kind of OS will be there....
    12-26-12 05:53 AM
    That's what I did. During the setup process it asked me to update, I went for the option to do it later and all there was was the browser. Nothing else. I found it strange but I updated the os and got all the usual 2.1 apps. After backup restore I had all my apps and settings the way they were before.
    dave_h_946 likes this.
    12-26-12 07:02 AM
    The one thing that backup does not restore is all your set up email accounts and calendars, which is kinda stupid. It also does not restore bookmarks saved to the home screen.
    12-26-12 08:37 AM
    RIM told us that all the security wipe did was return the PB to factory settings and defaults, as well as removing all personal data, hence the term security wipe. Based on that, you still aren't removing the base OS the unit was shipped with, as many have implied. I see no advantage to performing one before an update unless you are having issues caused by bad apps or corrupt files.
    12-26-12 11:12 AM