What do you think RIM is going to do, and what do you want them to do?
    I think I should see some interesting answers here!
    01-29-12 08:19 AM
    Get the cascades (and other) UI out to developpers and let them have some fun as soon as possible.
    Appart from that, RIM really needs to be concentrating on getting whatever phone(s) they're going to be releasing for the BB10 platform ready and out on time.
    Anything else, as far as I see it, is just a bonus.

Si.
    01-29-12 08:32 AM
    Comes 2.0.1 then 2.0.1.2 (small update)... Rince an repeat until a major update is released which will probably be 2.1.
    01-29-12 08:40 AM
    What features do you guys want to see after 2.0?
    01-29-12 09:04 AM
    After 2.0 is out, I want them to fix the Android Player so I can configure it never to run or to run on demand (as it wastes 200MB even when I don't use it).

Making the Camera app snappy instead of sluggish would be nice too.
    kbz1960 and farskija like this.
    01-29-12 09:41 AM
    I would like to see a way to load actual real programs not just apps.
    01-29-12 09:50 AM
    After 2.0 is out, I want them to fix the Android Player so I can configure it never to run or to run on demand (as it wastes 200MB even when I don't use it).

Making the Camera app snappy instead of sluggish would be nice too.
    So what you're saying here is that unlike with current OS after a fresh boot sitting at around 650MB free, with OS2 it will be sitting at around 450MB free when doing nothing?
    450MB free is what I got currently with the browser open. That would be an incredible waste of RAM when not even in use.
    01-29-12 09:54 AM
    A few years from now there will be no need for "tablet computers". Simply various sized displays that link to your personal device. A descendent from the BB bridge technology today, but Apple will try to patent it (with the word "magic" somewhere in the description).
    erhan8 and Innovatology like this.
    01-29-12 10:05 AM
    I would like to see a way to load actual real programs not just apps.
    What makes something a "real program" vs an app? From a technical perspective there's no difference. Unless you're asking to be able to install Windows programs on your PB, which just isn't going to ever happen. It'd be like installing Windows programs on a Mac.
    01-29-12 10:15 AM
    Okay ... unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible ... I miss things all the time ) OS 2.0 isn't released yet. The closest anyone has achieved is the BETA version which I constantly read is not actually the same as the official ver 2.0.

Therefore do we actually know everything that is or isn't part of the actual official 2.0? For instance how to we know that the Android player will double our RAM use even at rest? Will the implementation of a PB Android player be exactly the same as the BETA test version?

In terms of what I want after 2.0 ... I think I'll see what 2.0 is like before I comment. Obviously I know even less of what's coming than the rest of you ... so I think I'll try to catch up a bit ...
    01-29-12 10:16 AM
    Narrower bezel.
    01-29-12 10:20 AM
    Narrower bezel.
    yes, because it's so easy to do in software.
    01-29-12 10:30 AM
    In terms of what I want after 2.0 ... I think I'll see what 2.0 is like before I comment. Obviously I know even less of what's coming than the rest of you ... so I think I'll try to catch up a bit ...
    Stop talking sense man!!!

If we based our posts on facts and reality, where would we be?

I guess we'll all find out the reality of OS2 in the coming weeks, until then like you, I'll reserve judgement on the OS2+ thereafter.
    01-29-12 11:59 AM
    Stop talking sense man!!!

If we based our posts on facts and reality, where would we be?

I guess we'll all find out the reality of OS2 in the coming weeks, until then like you, I'll reserve judgement on the OS2+ thereafter.
    Exactly this is just what we want!
    01-29-12 07:23 PM
    i would love to see BB Maps for the Playbook with offline maps....personally, i think Bing Maps is terrible as u cant use the app to make the playbook into a actual gps unit. Offline Maps would be awesome for the Playbook. Also like someone said earlier, a better camera app. The camera app is completely bare boned.
    GreenCopperz likes this.
    01-29-12 07:36 PM
    bring over hundreds of thousands of apps to the playbook
    01-29-12 07:44 PM
    What makes something a "real program" vs an app? From a technical perspective there's no difference. Unless you're asking to be able to install Windows programs on your PB, which just isn't going to ever happen. It'd be like installing Windows programs on a Mac.
    I am not a programmer, so I don't know what is possible, but I have read on this forum where Win 3.1 was loaded on a playbook. To me, if android apps can be made to run in a "sandbox", I'm sure windows programs can be made to run that way also. If not, then maybe QNX isn't as good as it's being hyped up to be. I don't know, like I said, I'm not a programmer.

To me, apps are like mini, micro single task programs. they are good for accomplishing simple tasks but pretty much useless for much else.
    01-29-12 08:32 PM
    I would like to see more Bridge apps like Maps and Social Networking. It would make a great GPS unit like that.
    01-29-12 09:38 PM
    After OS 2.0 I want them to really get serious. The next version should wake me up gently in the morning and when I am fully awake it should read the news to me. My Playbook should be able to interface with new BB home automation modules that I can buy and install all over my house so when I get out of the shower my Playbook will have my breakfast ready for me. I will then take my Playbook with me and dock it in my car and tell it where I want to go (i.e. "take me to work"). It will either give me traffic alerts or when automated cars are available it will actually drive me to work. It will also see which of my friends want to get together after work (via their playbooks) and check out possible things for us to do/places to hang out and make suggestions. The Playbooks will schedule the times and make reservations if necessary.

Now, about OS 4.0...
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-30-12 05:51 AM
    I am not a programmer, so I don't know what is possible, but I have read on this forum where Win 3.1 was loaded on a playbook. To me, if android apps can be made to run in a "sandbox", I'm sure windows programs can be made to run that way also. If not, then maybe QNX isn't as good as it's being hyped up to be. I don't know, like I said, I'm not a programmer.
    I am a programmer, and I'm afraid it just doesn't work that way. There's significant differences between Android and Windows, the PlayBook will never run Windows applications. It has nothing to do with QNX but with processor architectures (ARM vs x86). There's a lot of other issues too. There's a reason they chose Android and not iOS, Android was unique.

However, there's no reason someone couldn't build an app as complex as a Windows one for the PlayBook. The issue there is simply lack of demand.
    01-30-12 12:49 PM
    Strong app support and DLNA support
    01-30-12 01:34 PM
    I just want to see a completed OS before start jumping the gun to future stuff! I mean i love my Playbook and use it daily. But, with a polished finished OS installed on it, i can only imagine what will follow.
    01-30-12 01:40 PM
    ... so when I get out of the shower my Playbook will have my breakfast ready for me
    You mean OS2 will even make toast ?!?
    01-30-12 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD