The lack of a full featured native book reading app is the one disappointment I've had with the playbook. Could no one realize this might be an important feature in a tablet like this?
    01-13-12 09:16 PM
    As an average reader, who buys books regularly from Kobo, with the playbook, I don't understand the hardship. I buy a book, I read it, simple as that. It works quite well in bed with the black screen. No heavier than a paperback novel.
    01-13-12 09:56 PM
    I've only been at this for 2 days, but I've read that Kobo will only load/read books purchased/downloaded from their own site.

I tried, 3 times, to purchase with them. Could have been the 2.0 OS, but it would not work. I got all the way to "confirm", the first time, and it stalled. The other 2 times, I couldn't even get the confirm screen.

Then, I read (in here) about "book reader". I downloaded it, and that went fine. I also installed Calibre on my PC (to convert to epub), but I must have done it wrong, cuz I couldn't get the books installed.

I made one post (in the book reader thread, see below) and the developer (Untangled Development) promptly responded. He also responded to my email and I was able to get the program running.

Igor also acknowledges page glitching...

See post # 295
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...aybook-638953/

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...er-app-649463/
    01-13-12 10:28 PM
    I've only tried reading PDF files..I have several books in epub, mobi files but I am restraining myself from buying an app until OS2 comes out. The reason is I am hoping for a wider variety of reading apps.

So far reading through Adobe Reader isn't bad, but I don't think I can change font sizes, and if I zoom into the page it will go back to normal view when I turn the page.

You really have to think of the weight. I read while laying down at home a lot, and it's easy with my netbook as I can rest the keyboard area on my chest but the playbook it's a different thing. It's not as light as nook touch or sony e-reader. I actually dropped my playbook straight on my face and it hurt (I wear glasses).
    01-13-12 10:35 PM
    Out of the box, the PB is awful as a reader - not because of hardware, but due to lack of apps.

Kobo is simply terrible, will only allow books that you buy. You can't sideload.

The only FREE epub reader on the PB is "Booksonwink", which will do the job for now. You can sideload books into the documents folder.

The good free readers are, of course, from Android, and some should be available with OS2 - Kindle, Aldiko, Moon Reader, etc. All are light years ahead of the current PB apps.

No tablet is as easy to use, and as easy on the eyes, as a standalone e-reader like the Nook, Kindle, etc.
    Last edited by Michel Souris; 01-14-12 at 12:47 PM.
    01-14-12 12:44 PM
    i love my playbook but for reading, nothing compares to my sony T1. Super light weight, very easy on the eyes even after hours of reading. its honestly like looking at paper. The battery lasts for WEEKS.

for moderate to heavy reading, i would still say get an ebook.
    01-14-12 01:16 PM
    Love my KOBO app on my PB...simply put, it's a e-reader with benefits.
    01-14-12 01:28 PM
    Ive had both a nook color and playbook. I just finished reading the Hunger games with my playbook and my forearms are now awesomely stronger! Anyway,my wife had the option of getting pb given its specs, but she's opted for the lighter yet just as powerful nook tablet. The onlybig difference is lack of camera and gps (we have no bb phones).

The bezel swipe is one of my favorite features on pb, but it sometimes it gets in the way when im reading book while running on treadmill (i use moon reader sometimes, which scrolls down automatically, but xcreen times out).

I love the multimedia capabilities of the pb, but if you want a powerful ereader, go with nook tablet. Or just get both like us
    01-14-12 01:30 PM
    Ive had both a nook color and playbook. I just finished reading the Hunger games with my playbook and my forearms are now awesomely stronger! Anyway,my wife had the option of getting pb given its specs, but she's opted for the lighter yet just as powerful nook tablet. The onlybig difference is lack of camera and gps (we have no bb phones).

The bezel swipe is one of my favorite features on pb, but it sometimes it gets in the way when im reading book while running on treadmill (i use moon reader sometimes, which scrolls down automatically, but xcreen times out).

I love the multimedia capabilities of the pb, but if you want a powerful ereader, go with nook tablet. Or just get both like us
    01-14-12 01:31 PM
    I have hundreds of ebooks already. I've had three separate ereaders before. None of those books can be read with the Kobo app, unless I purchase them again. That is not acceptable.
    crackberryjill likes this.
    01-14-12 03:31 PM
    ive converted pdf to epub using calibre and with the free ebook reader winkreader it works great
    Last edited by k__dam; 01-15-12 at 04:00 AM.
    01-15-12 03:57 AM
    ereaders arent exactly technological advances lol, the big difference is the screen, eink is not backlit and is much easier on the eyes for long periods of time.
    I own both a Playbook and a Sony PRS-T1 e-reader... a tablet does not and never will match an e-ink device for reading. If you are a heavy reader (you read for 4+ hours at a time), then an e-ink device is simply a must because whereas an LCD screen strains the eyes, e-ink is lpthe equivalent of viewing paper, with the dramatic differrence that you can change font, text size, add notes/highlights and use a dictionary. The Sony PRS-T1 is freaking awesome by the way, easily the best e-reader if you dont 'buy' your books from the Amazon store. Has a good music player too so you can read while listening to your music library using the microsd slot. Plus, the base software is Android so its rootable to run other Android apps.
    01-15-12 04:34 AM
    I solved my problem by purchasing Book Reader, a fairly full featured ebook reader. It does bowever irk me that it never occured to the Playbook developers that a good book reading app might be a good idea.
    01-15-12 06:51 AM
    i love the way he says how amazing the new contextual predictive keyboard is, when all he did was use the options on the screen. i would love to see that redone with the guy video-ing asking him to write something

also brilliant to see the 'new' keyboard doesnt rotate and that the calendar and contacts apps both crashed... when they hung and he closed them they were both greyed out, just like the browser does from time to time. wireless hadnt dropped clearly still connected

hope they fix these things
    Last edited by rvision; 01-15-12 at 07:04 AM.
    01-15-12 06:58 AM
    I solved my problem by purchasing Book Reader, a fairly full featured ebook reader. It does bowever irk me that it never occured to the Playbook developers that a good book reading app might be a good idea.
    Book Reader is laggy, and most annoyingly, only lets you import books one at a time. That alone makes it unsuitable for most people. It's the best of a bad bunch, but not a patch on the selection available to Android users.
    currentuser likes this.
    01-15-12 07:46 AM
    I don't care for any LCD device as an e-reader. It works in a pinch, but they just can't compete with dedicated e-readers when it comes to battery life, weight, eye strain, and visibility in direct sunlight.

The only reading I want to be able to do on my PB is to read magazines in color. There is no e-ink color screen. The Reader's Digest App looked amazing, but died on the vine. Can't wait for Vizeo to arrive.

It's kind of like choosing a boat - there is no perfect one for everything. You always give up something.
    01-15-12 08:13 AM
    Book Reader is laggy, and most annoyingly, only lets you import books one at a time. That alone makes it unsuitable for most people. It's the best of a bad bunch, but not a patch on the selection available to Android users.
    I imported a whole pile at a time, so not sure why you are having problems.

Haven't found it laggy either.
    01-15-12 08:45 AM
    Ive been reading the Steve Jobs bio on the PB Kobo app. and its been fairly good. I used the greyish back ground to keep the eye strain down a bit.

I generally read on my Kindle e-ink reader and that is a joy to read on but at night I need a reading light.

problem I can see with the PB as a reader will be in the spring and summer I like to read on my porch and back deck but Im sure the glare will be too much to read on.
    01-15-12 09:34 AM
    Ive been reading the Steve Jobs bio on the PB Kobo app. and its been fairly good. I used the greyish back ground to keep the eye strain down a bit.

I generally read on my Kindle e-ink reader and that is a joy to read on but at night I need a reading light.

problem I can see with the PB as a reader will be in the spring and summer I like to read on my porch and back deck but Im sure the glare will be too much to read on.
    You have that right. I used my Kindle3 at 10,000 feet in the Sierra with tons of sun and no glare problems. And charging for the 2 week trip was NOT an issue. And what was really fun/serendipitous was that I had added my own screen savers from prior trips and as I was reading, suddenly I was staring at the same live scene as the screen saver!
    01-15-12 10:51 AM
    this completely depends on which reader you have, most will have a very small second lag when turning pages, its something you get used too. As for importing books, hook it up to your computer and you can put as many books at a time as you want. Calibre is good for this.

How do you like the prst1? I have the 650 and I felt the trs1 felt cheap, Im not a fan of the plastic case
    01-15-12 12:02 PM
    I imported about 10 books the last time i used book reader... And recent patches have made it more fluid. Like i said before, my only gripe is when swiping to next page, i sometimes hit the bezel so it changes app instead (but that applies to all readers that i need to swipe)
    01-15-12 01:19 PM
    If you primarily use EPUB files then the Best reader is PlayEpub.

There is really no comparison. It is the best On Any Tablet.
    01-15-12 03:03 PM
    I'm 80 years old and read for several hours at a time - the weight has never been a problem. I never even considered weight till I read about it here.
    04-26-12 11:14 PM
    Previous post on this subject - and link

IMHO no tablet is as easy to read as a Kindle - you may find the thread below useful:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...0/#post7300470

Friends who have sideloaded the Kindle App onto their PlayBooks think it is a superior reading experience vs reading eBooks on their iPads (cos the iPad is too bulky for many to easily read from - it certainly is for me)

One friend has a Fire, and he is very disappointed with it and now considering getting a PB (and reclaiming his old Kindle from the wife.....) - I must remember not to be too smug about this....
    04-27-12 12:52 AM
    E-Ink displays>>>anything with LCD.

They're vastly superior to the look of a book, less eye strain, no glare, etc.

So if you want something SOLELY as a book reader, look elsewhere, but if you want a multimedia device also than yes, PB would be a good choice.
    04-27-12 01:32 AM
93 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD