First, there will be no OS3. 2.1 is being released next month, according to previous announcements.

Heins said BB10 is coming for the Playbook "following shortly" after the phone release, which most sources peg for November.

If developers were told BB10 is not coming until spring, then I'd have to revise that, but the only mention I've seen of that is in this thread.
    gtpointer likes this.
    06-20-12 11:40 PM
    Din't say the PB would get OS10 before the BB.. but.. OS3 will surely give a demo on the PlayBook of the OS10 version.. PB OS 2.0 is already a version of the BB10.. What's the big deal in getting updated to OS3.0 where cascades and all that other stuff is released.. It's only the BB10 apps that will be available on OS3.0.. Not the entire new OS10..

So RIM is launching SDK and all that stuff now.. you expect devs to sit on their apps until BB10? That's not happening..

What about Pacemaker? That's OS10 app.. Expect to see a lot of OS10 in OS3.0 which is a soft launch for OS10 in August. That is if BB10 is launching October.

If BB10 is launching Dec, then expect to see OS3.0 in October.
    06-21-12 12:01 AM
    Din't say the PB would get OS10 before the BB.. but.. OS3 will surely give a demo on the PlayBook of the OS10 version.. PB OS 2.0 is already a version of the BB10.. What's the big deal in getting updated to OS3.0 where cascades and all that other stuff is released.. It's only the BB10 apps that will be available on OS3.0.. Not the entire new OS10..

So RIM is launching SDK and all that stuff now.. you expect devs to sit on their apps until BB10? That's not happening..

What about Pacemaker? That's OS10 app.. Expect to see a lot of OS10 in OS3.0 which is a soft launch for OS10 in August. That is if BB10 is launching October.

If BB10 is launching Dec, then expect to see OS3.0 in October.
    Wow. There's a big difference between a few carefully-developed apps (likely with heavy RIM support and input) and an entire OS version. We may well see another "showcase" app or two, but OS3 makes no sense.

OS2 was released in late February, and we were hearing about 2.1 all the way back in April. If RIM was planning another full-version release we'd already be hearing about it, and they have said NOTHING to indicate this is in the pipeline.
    06-21-12 12:14 AM
    It's a soft launch for BB10!
    06-21-12 12:28 AM
    Don't know which one exactly but it would be an OS2.x that will recieve huge huge hype and will disappoint everyone.
    BB10 is what I'm looking forward to.
    06-21-12 10:16 AM
    And you just highlighted the underlying problem, nay stupidity, of naming the next BlackBerry operating system with an incremental number. BlackBerry/X, for example, would be version agnostic in that you could have BlackBerry/X (Version 1.0) BlackBerry/X (Version 1.1) while still referring to the platform as BlackBerry/X. At least I will give Apple management credit for naming their reborn operating system Apple OS/X and simply increment the version number not the name. If the smartphone and tablet have different names that will only confuse the consumer, both individual and institutional.
    BBOS 7
    Playbook OS 1.0 = BBOS 8
    Playbook OS 2.0 = BBOS 9
    BBOS 10
    06-21-12 12:44 PM
    BBOS 7
    Playbook OS 1.0 = BBOS 8
    Playbook OS 2.0 = BBOS 9
    BBOS 10
    BBOS 10 = PlayBook OS 3.0 ?

-Sent straight from my BlackBerry� PlayBook�.
    06-21-12 01:45 PM
    Urgh this is why I tried to stop the term OS3 while it was in its nascent stages. It just confuses people. After OS2.1 for PB there will be BB10, anything else would be a waste of time, and simply not going to happen. As has been pointed out - we would have heard about it by now.
    06-21-12 03:09 PM
    Obviously the PLaybook is going to be updated once BB10 is out... They can't call it BB10 because it's not going to be full BB10 for the next 6 months on the PB..
    06-22-12 03:14 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD