10-01-13 08:38 AM
87 ... 234
tools
    Yeah, this is MS way of saying they messed up. Can you say Vista? They got seven out to fix that debaucle, and now they are trying to recover from the * roll out, allthough it was a flat tire from the dealer.

I know a few people (and myself also, I tried it on a new notebook for 13 days, and took it back to Bestbuy, The guy asked me why I was returning it, PC issues? No, I said, Windows 8 issues. He said well, we have classes right here for that. I told him "What does that tell you about Windows 8?

c
    FF22 likes this.
    09-30-13 09:26 AM
    Yeah, this is MS way of saying they messed up. Can you say Vista? They got seven out to fix that debaucle, and now they are trying to recover from the * roll out, allthough it was a flat tire from the dealer.

I know a few people (and myself also, I tried it on a new notebook for 13 days, and took it back to Bestbuy, The guy asked me why I was returning it, PC issues? No, I said, Windows 8 issues. He said well, we have classes right here for that. I told him "What does that tell you about Windows 8?

c
    I don't know what was wrong the a SLOPPY desktop full of icons. I can find the ones I want. Those large block tiles did not do much for me.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-30-13 02:14 PM
    [QUOTE=castoridae;9147962]
    3)BTW: Waterloo is the silicone valley of the north/QUOTE]

Silicone Valley huh? That explains why Thorsten Heins hasn't been focusing like a laser on rebuilding BlackBerry...those silicone-enhanced breasts must be quite the distraction.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-30-13 02:15 PM
    [QUOTE=qwerty4ever;9262604]
    3)BTW: Waterloo is the silicone valley of the north/QUOTE]

Silicone Valley huh? That explains why Thorsten Heins hasn't been focusing like a laser on rebuilding BlackBerry...those silicone-enhanced breasts must be quite the distraction.

The attraction is greatly decreased when you realize the fakery invoved.
    09-30-13 02:41 PM
    They installed windows 7 (not 8).
    I f - ing hate it.
    Give it some time. You'll change your mind. When XP came out, I didn't like it either, and in fact, I think, I went back to Windows 98 for a while. But I reinstalled XP, and ultimately and eventually found out how much more functional XP was over Win 98 and thus came to love it. I think you'll find that the same is true when comparing XP to Win 8- it'll just take a little getting used to.
    09-30-13 03:33 PM
    I think I might like Windows 8.1 if it allows customizing those tiles and grouping apps into folders. It would be nice to have a tile to launch your email. That screen full of icons which clutters up your wallpaper in Windows 7 is ugly and chasing down your program in the list is also a pain. Anyone for going back to DOS 3.11 for work groups?
    10-01-13 12:17 AM
    Why a laptop, you said you use your play book mostly, I'd buy a desktop or better yet build one, unless you need to be mobile. Desktops a cheaper, faster, and more expandable. Problem with laptops is unless your can afford a Macintosh or a similar priced high end Wintel laptop, everything else is a cheaply made piece of crap
    10-01-13 12:50 AM
    Anyone for going back to DOS 3.11 for work groups?
    Windows For Workgroups 3.11 ?? Urrggh .. that's like going from a brick house to one made of straw.
    10-01-13 12:52 AM
    Windows For Workgroups 3.11 ?? Urrggh .. that's like going from a brick house to one made of straw.
    I've been using Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS with my Acer Aspire notebook since 2012 and only keep Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium within Oracle VirtualBox for the rare times it is necessary.

10-01-13 01:08 AM
    Hi all, Finally decided to replace my 10 yr old PC. Don't need anything fancy cause I use my playbook 99% of the time.
    I need either a PC or laptop to act basically as a hub for getting playbooks and iPads updated, sideloading, etc.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Live in downtown Toronto.
    Thx all
    Maybe you will get enough experience with your work think pad to get a feel whether this type of unit will meet your needs. For longer operating usability would advise 6 GB RAM and if possible a midlevel processor. Certainly need a full complement of ports, bluetooth etc. Ought to be able to get a decent 15.4" lap top for about $600. More if you want touchscreen. You could go to a desktop if you are not going to be moving it much. If you plan to do work with music, pictures or videos don't get too weak a unit.
    10-01-13 01:09 AM
    Give it some time. You'll change your mind. When XP came out, I didn't like it either, and in fact, I think, I went back to Windows 98 for a while. But I reinstalled XP, and ultimately and eventually found out how much more functional XP was over Win 98 and thus came to love it. I think you'll find that the same is true when comparing XP to Win 8- it'll just take a little getting used to.
    Microsoft Windows XP was the first stable version released for home computers. Too bad Microsoft felt the "need" to "improve" it in the form of Microsoft Windows 7 and 8. For many personal computer users a simple smart terminal / thin-client with local and remote storage would suffice.

10-01-13 01:16 AM
    I think I might like Windows 8.1 if it allows customizing those tiles and grouping apps into folders. It would be nice to have a tile to launch your email. That screen full of icons which clutters up your wallpaper in Windows 7 is ugly and chasing down your program in the list is also a pain. Anyone for going back to DOS 3.11 for work groups?
    I had a great system going with Desqview - it worked and multitasked fine. The only reason I finally moved to Windows was MS purchased the DOS-mapping program I used and killed it. So the only way to get mapping was with a Windows interface - National Geographic (it was something before they purchased it - xxxflowers or similar). The long downhill slide to Win8!!!! (g)
    10-01-13 08:38 AM
87 ... 234