Hi all, Finally decided to replace my 10 yr old PC. Don't need anything fancy cause I use my playbook 99% of the time.
    I need either a PC or laptop to act basically as a hub for getting playbooks and iPads updated, sideloading, etc.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Live in downtown Toronto.
    Thx all
    09-07-13 07:58 AM
    If that's all you're going to do I'd find a cheep used one somewhere or you could even get a cheap netbook.
    09-07-13 08:03 AM
    Look up clearance deals.. it sounds like you will be doing simple stuff..
    09-07-13 08:08 AM
    Hi all, Finally decided to replace my 10 yr old PC. Don't need anything fancy cause I use my playbook 99% of the time.
    I need either a PC or laptop to act basically as a hub for getting playbooks and iPads updated, sideloading, etc.
    Thx all
    Purchase a HP it my have a sock in it.

I would look at the deal of the day on EBay. There is great deals there.
    I personally would spend a little extra on touch screen (but thats me) because I'm so used to using my PlayBook every time I use my laptop I tap things on the screen. For some reason nothing happens. and if people are watching you that makes me fill stupid. Don't even say it.
    Good luck.
    09-07-13 08:24 AM
    Purchase a HP it my have a sock in it.

I would look at the deal of the day on EBay. There is great deals there.
    I personally would spend a little extra on touch screen (but thats me) because I'm so used to using my PlayBook every time I use my laptop I tap things on the screen. For some reason nothing happens. and if people are watching you that makes me fill stupid. Don't even say it.
    Good luck.
    A). You are stupid!
    B). Only HP printers have socks in them!

I give up!
    dphjeff, castoridae and Carl Estes like this.
    09-07-13 08:36 AM
    Used might be a good idea, eBay wouldn't be my choice as I would need software help, etc. Laptop or netbook, which is better? Or cheap used PC. Now wondering if anyone knows anything about those small computer shops around College & Spadina, near U of T?
    sad_old_man and dphjeff like this.
    09-07-13 08:38 AM
    Used might be a good idea, eBay wouldn't be my choice as I would need software help, etc. Laptop or netbook, which is better? Or cheap used PC. Now wondering if anyone knows anything about those small computer shops around College & Spadina, near U of T?
    Your on the best help site you could wish to be on! Primarily pb help, but if you own a pb you will get help from any member on here.

That's why they call it a community?
    dphjeff and Carl Estes like this.
    09-07-13 08:46 AM
    Your on the best help site you could wish to be on! Primarily pb help, but if you own a pb you will get help from any member on here.

That's why they call it a community?
    Agreed this is the best site. My point was, I know my old PC, with old software, old Word, excel, etc. My fear is windows 7 (of course I only have windows XP) - that kind of thing that its probably easier to just do a face to face with someone
    sad_old_man and dphjeff like this.
    09-07-13 09:06 AM
    Agreed this is the best site. My point was, I know my old PC, with old software, old Word, excel, etc. My fear is windows 7 (of course I only have windows XP) - that kind of thing that its probably easier to just do a face to face with someone
    I now feel very sad for you? Windows XP was bad enough but windows 7 and 8, unless you know what your doing or have access to very good help is almost like putting your faith in the success of bb10?

But as I said please don't ask for help on windows sites or any other sites, just ask here? I presume because your here you own a playbook, well then just ask away!
    dphjeff likes this.
    09-07-13 09:19 AM
    Macbook pro non retina.
    09-07-13 09:24 AM
    Surface Pro!

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 09:29 AM
    Forget what I just said!
    dphjeff likes this.
    09-07-13 09:32 AM
    A). You are stupid!
    B). Only HP printers have socks in them!

I give up!
    Thanks for reminding me. I forgot.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-07-13 09:48 AM
    I now feel very sad for you? Windows XP was bad enough but windows 7 and 8, unless you know what your doing or have access to very good help is almost like putting your faith in the success of bb10?

But as I said please don't ask for help on windows sites or any other sites, just ask here? I presume because your here you own a playbook, well then just ask away!
    So Window is crap, Apple is Crap and BlackBerry is crap. Is there any brand you would highly recommend or should we go back to snail mail and typewriter?

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 10:29 AM
    So Window is crap, Apple is Crap and BlackBerry is crap. Is there any brand you would highly recommend or should we go back to snail mail and typewriter?

Posted via CB10
    UNIX!!!!!! It's the only way to fly?

Or Cobol?
    Or Pascal?
    Or C?
    Or Fortran?

Or pen and paper?
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-07-13 10:37 AM
    What has HP got to do with socks? Googled and it is all about harry potter freeing dobby the houseelf with his...

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 10:54 AM
    What has HP got to do with socks? Googled and it is all about harry potter freeing dobby the houseelf with his...

Posted via CB10
    STOP it muppet?

Rule 1. Never, never, never ridicule dobby!

My hero is above reproach from anyone!

Rule 2. Every HP printer made has a sock inserted into it somewhere to prevent the buyer/end user from setting up the said printer successfully and using it without contacting HP support. Therefore protecting their support departments employment in the long term future?
    09-07-13 11:01 AM
    Thx all
    whats wrong with your current PC?

Honestly, I do have more computer needs then you, and have been doing really well with a used IBM T60 laptop.. put windows 7 on it and it runs buttery smooth. you can find them in the US for ~400, not sure what your price range is though.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-07-13 11:16 AM
    whats wrong with your current PC?

Honestly, I do have more computer needs then you, and have been doing really well with a used IBM T60 laptop.. put windows 7 on it and it runs buttery smooth. you can find them in the US for ~400, not sure what your price range is though.
    Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh the member actually said IBM!!!!!!!!!! Oh god ring my therapist immediately!!!!!!!!!

He did say it didn't he? I need witnesses in case I'm provoked into bombing something I shouldn't!!!!!!!

Hummmmmm, huuummmmm, stay calm and breath deeply!

No he said it, I know he said IBM........ Oh god.
    FCSC and Carl Estes like this.
    09-07-13 11:40 AM
    Hi I live outside of TO. Look up Wintronics. I bought my last 2. Refurbs from there. The first one lasted??? can't remember how long, so that tells you how long it actually was hah. Just purchased another one from them. Believe it or not yesterday, not long after the refurb warranty ran out something happened to it kind of froze up. Right away, brought it bac around noon.**** was i amazed when I got a call from them at 5 saying it's ready come pickup its fixed no charge. Was the BIOS or something. I bought stuff from both Burlington and Hamilton location. Most of their refurbs come with Window 7 Pro.
    If you need more info pm me.
    castoridae and retrofinn like this.
    09-07-13 11:45 AM
    Thx all
    Again, no one can really recommend anything for you as they don't really know your needs and habits. You may really not need to do anything if your 10 yo is doing its job. If you live by one of those "computer shops" that make their own, they could easily upgrade your PC with a faster processor and more RAM. That is all you will really gain with a new computer. Here's just a rundown on what's available now:

1. Netbook. Typically small screen (`10-11") with Atom processor; usually runs the "starter" version of Windows but can run full versions; no CD/DVD drive; pretty slow and really built for portability.
    2. Ultrabook. Typically 12-14" and thin; no drives; some have touchscreen for Win8; usually i3-i5 processor; good for travel.
    3. Laptop. Typically 14-17"; CD/DVD; dual core or up to i7 processor (gaming laptop); some have touchscreen; good desktop replacement but portable.
    4. Desktop. Not portable; can be all-in-one and just a big touchcreen monitor.

Of course, you can always get around hardware limitations with USB accessories. So it is really up to you what you want and what you want to spend. Name brands aren't necessarily any better than computer shops. All the components are pretty similar quality-wise. If anything, I'd prolly recommend an SSD drive rather than HDD.

Oh, Win 7 and 8 are not that bad. You just have to get used to them like anything else. We can help you out.
    sad_old_man and castoridae like this.
    09-07-13 12:13 PM
    Again, no one can really recommend anything for you as they don't really know your needs and habits. You may really not need to do anything if your 10 yo is doing its job. If you live by one of those "computer shops" that make their own, they could easily upgrade your PC with a faster processor and more RAM. That is all you will really gain with a new computer. Here's just a rundown on what's available now:

1. Netbook. Typically small screen (`10-11") with Atom processor; usually runs the "starter" version of Windows but can run full versions; no CD/DVD drive; pretty slow and really built for portability.
    2. Ultrabook. Typically 12-14" and thin; no drives; some have touchscreen for Win8; usually i3-i5 processor; good for travel.
    3. Laptop. Typically 14-17"; CD/DVD; dual core or up to i7 processor (gaming laptop); some have touchscreen; good desktop replacement but portable.
    4. Desktop. Not portable; can be all-in-one and just a big touchcreen monitor.

Of course, you can always get around hardware limitations with USB accessories. So it is really up to you what you want and what you want to spend. Name brands aren't necessarily any better than computer shops. All the components are pretty similar quality-wise. If anything, I'd prolly recommend an SSD drive rather than HDD.

Oh, Win 7 and 8 are not that bad. You just have to get used to them like anything else. We can help you out.
    May I recommend the Commodore Vic 20? Wonderful device!
    Carl Estes and qwerty4ever like this.
    09-07-13 12:31 PM
    You don't say what size you are looking for? Also since you have kept the one you have now for 10 years buy with an eye to the future or go really cheap and figure on using maybe a couple of years until Windows 9 arrives under the new Microsoft management. If buying for future might as well bite the bullet and go to Windows 8. If your present machine still functions. Don't be in a rush because the Intel generation 4 processor will be on the market very soon in large numbers and the older models will see some even more sizeable price cuts. So many computers so little time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-07-13 01:13 PM
    OP wants a hub to update playbook and eyepad. That means Windoze Hate, or Mac.
    Which means Mac as Windoze Hate only connects with playbooks on 32nd of each month
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-07-13 01:21 PM

SOM what's wrong with you?? I've been on this site and talking to you here for about 2 yrs and last time (July), I warned you I was going over to the UK. You went to the states at the same time.
    sad_old_man and Carl Estes like this.
    09-08-13 12:14 PM
87 123 ...