Hey guys,

Its been a long time since i posted,

Neways i got a new Blackberry Playbook 32 GB.

Any advice on softwares or any other things i should look out for,

Any advice would be appreciated,

TIA,
    Cheers
    11-06-11 01:38 PM
    ignore the negativity. you have just bought a great tablet that will only get better. many will doubt your decision, however it was the right one. enjoy it.....
    11-06-11 01:53 PM
    Make sure you are in a good wi-fi area and properly logged in [or hooked up to your Blackberry Desktop Software via USB cable, which I prefer...] and download the latest OS upgrade. Then make sure you have the latest version of BlackBerry Bridge software on your BB handset and spend some time getting the tablet and phone marching in step with each other.

After that...enjoy! Cruise through AppWorld for games and apps....the selection isn't big but there is some good stuff there, depending on what you plan to do with your Playbook. Test out the bundled apps and get things set up the way you want. there are lots of how-to videos on the Playbook...it's a good idea to give them a look.

Then take a big patience pill and wait for the OS 2 upgrade coming early in the New Year... [sometime in February, it was announced...but RIM promises and delivery dates are written on water...]
    dj.acidburnt likes this.
    11-06-11 02:02 PM
    Make sure to download a file manager so you can find your stuff cuz there isn't a native one. There are several to choose from in AppWorld. Enjoy!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    dj.acidburnt likes this.
    11-06-11 02:06 PM
    My advise is make sure you're in "Showcase" mode when showing off your PB to friends, because you will be showing off your PB to friends. I love starting up a video along with several other apps and showing them the video still running in the background (especially when it's a HD video I recorded with the PB).

But anyway, previous advise is spot on (software/bridge upgrades first). After that, looking through "top free" and "top paid" in App World is a great place to start. I use the bridge apps, browser, camera/video recorder, and music/video player more than anything.
    dj.acidburnt likes this.
    11-06-11 02:13 PM
    Air Browser is a FREE file manager.
    dj.acidburnt and susu222 like this.
    11-06-11 03:37 PM
    As tkcdamar said "ignore the negativity".

Enjoy your new tablet, and have fun.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    dj.acidburnt likes this.
    11-06-11 07:18 PM
    Congratulations and welcome to the club. Watch out for anyone that would tell you that you haven't made a great choice!
    dj.acidburnt likes this.
    11-06-11 07:24 PM
    F2 ... Thanks for the advice on that Air Browser ..
    putting it to go use now. Hope to find a native file browser/manager in PB OS 2
    11-06-11 08:24 PM
    It is quite remarkable that some really good apps are offered for free. Who knows what rim will offer as part of the new OS. The "file manager" on their phones is basic but actually accomplishes quite a lot - you can point at a file and bluetooth transfer it or email it. Nothing that simple on the pb but a 3rd party file manager does apparently assist in emailing a file.
    11-06-11 09:31 PM
    Thanks a lot for the advice guys,

Appreciate all of it,

Will be sure to wait for the OS Update.

Its gonna be epic, running android apps on the Playbook,

BTW does anybody know a good eBook reader for the PB other than Kobo.

Cheers
    11-06-11 11:35 PM
    BTW does anybody know a good eBook reader for the PB other than Kobo.
    I use Book Reader (in the top 25 paid apps section) and like it a lot. It works perfectly for me, but I know the author still makes regular updates based on feedback.
    dj.acidburnt likes this.
    11-06-11 11:48 PM
    I use Book Reader (in the top 25 paid apps section) and like it a lot. It works perfectly for me, but I know the author still makes regular updates based on feedback.
    Thanks for the advice,

One more question (sorry for being a noob),

Could someone explain to me the difference between tethering and bridge,

Because technically i can use the bridge browser to access the net so am i missing something ...
    11-07-11 03:54 AM
    Thanks for the advice,

One more question (sorry for being a noob),

Could someone explain to me the difference between tethering and bridge,

Because technically i can use the bridge browser to access the net so am i missing something ...
    Bridging allows you to use the existing data plan of your BlackBerry smartphone. Tethering is often a separate paid service. If I am not mistaken, with the latest bridge software it is possible to use the bridged browser and the regular web browser whereas originally the bridge browser was the only way to surf the web. To test bridge-mode just disable WiFi.
    dj.acidburnt likes this.
    11-07-11 04:24 AM
    Bridging allows you to use the existing data plan of your BlackBerry smartphone. Tethering is often a separate paid service. If I am not mistaken, with the latest bridge software it is possible to use the bridged browser and the regular web browser whereas originally the bridge browser was the only way to surf the web. To test bridge-mode just disable WiFi.
    Yes.
    I do not use the bridged browser anymore. I guess it is still here only because it will allow (w/ a later release, with correct headers) to force display mobile versions of web sites.
    You won't use tethering (i.e : using - and pay for - your phone as a hotspot to carry data), unless you voluntary set up the appropriate params in PB settings ("internet connexion").
    Enjoy
    dj.acidburnt likes this.
    11-07-11 05:16 AM
    Watch this video, follow instruction in the video if you're interested

Last edited by LimeTripBlog; 11-07-11 at 07:24 AM.
    dj.acidburnt likes this.
    11-07-11 07:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD