I have a Playbook and I'm thinking about purchasing a new cell phone. I'm wondering if Blackberry is the way to go? I assume a Blackberry phone is the only way I can use the cell phone for internet connectivity from my Playbook? In other words, I wouldn't be able to use an iPhone for my Playbook to connect to the internet? Also, with the new OS coming, am I better off waiting for that? Will the current phones be capable of an upgrade to the new OS? Any recommendations on which Blackberry phone to buy? I'm sure this stuff has all been asked a 1000 times, but I would appreciate your views on this...

Many thanks,
    Symir
    10-09-12 07:25 AM
    If you have the ability to wait for BB10 to come out I would wait. I switched from a BB 9860 to an iPhone 4 because I got it for free from a drawing. If not I would still be using my BB. I really would like to update but with all these new devices and platforms coming out the next few months I'm waiting. I'm excited for BB10 and look forward to it but doesn't mean I should stick to just one device.
    10-09-12 07:51 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry! As for a new phone, you should get what works best for you, but a BlackBerry does offer some definite advantages. With a BlackBerry, you can use Bridge to allow your PlayBook to access the internet using your phone's data plan; no additional plan is needed. If you use any other phone (iPhone, Samsung, etc.), you'll have to open a wifi hotspot on your phone to allow the PlayBook to access the internet, which means you will have to pay for the hotspot in addition to your phone's data plan.

The current phones BlackBerry has on the market are very good ( I have a Bold 9930 myself), unfortunately they will not be upgradable to BB10 when it comes out. You'll stay on BB7, which is still a very strong platform. The new BB10 phones are SUPPOSED to be introduced sometime in January, with the touchscreen version coming out first, followed shortly by the QWERTY version. Only you can decide if you are willing to wait for 3-4 months for the new phones.

Good luck on your choice. Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you'll enjoy your PlayBook!
    10-09-12 08:22 AM
    If you use any other phone (iPhone, Samsung, etc.), you'll have to open a wifi hotspot on your phone to allow the PlayBook to access the internet, which means you will have to pay for the hotspot in addition to your phone's data plan.
    Well that really depends on which carrier you are on and in which country you life in.
    I live in germany and i dont know any modern mobile plan with any restrictions to tethering... WLAN Hotspot is very nice because you can connect more than one device and any kind of device.
    10-09-12 08:34 AM
    Well that really depends on which carrier you are on and in which country you life in.
    I live in germany and i dont know any modern mobile plan with any restrictions to tethering... WLAN Hotspot is very nice because you can connect more than one device and any kind of device.
    I second that. Yes you should check if "tethering" is allowed in your plan. But then you can use any smartphone capable of serving as a Wifi Hotspot. Also works: Bluetooth Modem, the phone needs to support BT Dial Up Network (DUN?) Profile. In my case that didn't work without very frequent interruption. Just wanted to mention. Wifi worked very very well in my case, just drains battery a lot.

BB phone gives additional functionality with bridge.

Ray
    10-09-12 10:10 AM
    If you must have a new phone right now, I would highly recommend the BB Torch 9860. It is the first all-touchscreen BlackBerry and I've had it since May and I love it. It came out August 2011 and I have 3 others in my family with the same phone and no problems. They are all in their 20's and each of them say it is the best phone they've ever had. My son-in-law has one and his wife, my step-daughter, has the iPhone 4s and she likes his phone too.

It works really well with the playbook, including the remote control feature.

If you can wait till January, you can get the new BB10 phones, the first of which will be the next all-touchscreen BlackBerry.

Regarding the iPhone, I agree with others who have commented above that it is up to you to select a phone that meets your needs. If you need Siri and ichat etc., then the iPhone is an excellent device too.
    10-09-12 10:24 AM
    Thanks everyone, you've been very helpful! I may get an iPhone now. I need a phone within the next week so it's something I need to get one pretty soon.
    10-09-12 10:35 AM
    I'd take a look at one of the cheaper Android phones - I went for an Xperia U. It's running the old Android version (2.3.something) but battery life is good, its usable if not flashy and wireless tethering works very well with a playbook...
    10-09-12 11:46 AM
    I'll take a look, thank you!
    10-10-12 04:19 AM