As I just joined the forum yesterday, I would appreciate if someone can advise if there were any previous discussion threads on "mobile WiFi router" for playbook. My crackberry search using "mobile wifi router" did not yield any meaningful results

I will be attending an out of town function and the hotel that I will be staying does not have WiFi to rooms. They only provide hard-wired RJ-45 internet connection for laptop use which is no good for my playbook that I intend to bring along.

I am thinking of purchasing a small plug and play wireless router as a companion for my playbook. Upon reaching the hotel room, I would plug in the wireless router to the hotel RJ-45 internet to activate my wireless router to connect to my playbook.

I've never done this before and not sure if there is such a plug and play wireless router as it would not work if I have to start to manually configure the wireless router to syn with the hotel IP etc etc... too much work :-)

Thanks
    Ric
    12-15-11 11:45 AM
    You don't need it if you have a data plan with one of the major wireless providers and are staying in Canada. There is no data roaming inside of Canada on these plans. If you are going to another country you can get an add-on for a few bucks that will give you enough data for your trip. You can just use your phone.
    12-15-11 12:00 PM
    Good point. Thanks.

I am trying not to use the BB phone dataplan as much as possible because I will be accessing lots of detailed satellite maps (data intensive) for land use while out of town.

The PB hi-def screen is so good that I can view detailed satellite maps and PB works like a charm

The current BB phone dataplan from my carrier is limited and expensive and I can't wait to get out of the contract... I am currently stuck and is thinking of the mobile wifi solution in the hotel room

Thanks
    12-15-11 12:14 PM
    You can also Ad Hoc your laptop to give you wireless access. You will have to configure it but it's something you might want to learn to do if you travel a lot.
    12-15-11 12:19 PM
    I don't know what kind of laptop or OS you are running. Here is a quick method. If you are using something different you can just google it.

Create A Quick Ad Hoc Wireless Network Connection Between Two Computers In Windows 7/Vista
    Ric01 likes this.
    12-15-11 12:30 PM
    As NFL indicated, your carrier is your first stop, especially if you have a BB (to use bridge) or a smartphone capable of mobile hotspot, as both can extend your cellular data service to your PB. If you don't own either of those options, you can try getting a mobile router from them, which will add an additional data cost (I think) to your monthly plan.

I'm in the US so I'm not sure of options in Canada, but some services like Clear (clear.com) offer mobile 4G wireless modems for a reasonable cost. I am usually out and about so before I purchased my PB, I switched my comcast internet service (+$70/mo ) to Clear and simply use the mobile modem at home. Service is about $50 a month and as I no longer engage in heavy-duty online gaming, the speed is good enough for what I need it for.

But you definitely have options, so I wish you good luck and let us know what you decide to go with!

Edit: Just saw that you don't want to use your BB's data service, sorry!
    Ric01 likes this.
    12-15-11 12:41 PM
    As I just joined the forum yesterday, I would appreciate if someone can advise if there were any previous discussion threads on "mobile WiFi router" for playbook. My crackberry search using "mobile wifi router" did not yield any meaningful results

I will be attending an out of town function and the hotel that I will be staying does not have WiFi to rooms. They only provide hard-wired RJ-45 internet connection for laptop use which is no good for my playbook that I intend to bring along.

I am thinking of purchasing a small plug and play wireless router as a companion for my playbook. Upon reaching the hotel room, I would plug in the wireless router to the hotel RJ-45 internet to activate my wireless router to connect to my playbook.

I've never done this before and not sure if there is such a plug and play wireless router as it would not work if I have to start to manually configure the wireless router to syn with the hotel IP etc etc... too much work :-)

Thanks
    Ric
    I don't use this product but it is very compact and seems to get good ratings. $100 in Canada and a good return policy if it doesn't work for you:

AirPort Express Base Station with 802.11n
    AirPort Express Base Station with 802.11n - Apple Store (Canada)

Be aware that there are *many* people who have problems connecting to 802.11n networks with the Playbook. RIM is apparently aware of this, but nothing has been done to fix it.

RIM fans will surely jump in and say there are workarounds (degrade router performance from n to g or b/g and a few other incantations involving WPA /WPA2 and TKIP) and that the fix will surely be here "soon". Trusting this device for mission critical internet access when you don't control the wifi access point is.. ill advised.

You should be able to set the router I mentioned above to use 802.11g (slower) and try some other router setting manipulations if you are one of those that can't use 802.11n. You'll want to check this / do this well before your trip if hotel internet access is critical.

Here's one broken wifi thread. Several more around. Some running over 10 pages:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...95#post6939595
    Branta and Ric01 like this.
    12-15-11 01:26 PM
    Many thanks NFLPLAYBOOK, 00stryder, Interloper for the various options.
    12-15-11 01:34 PM
    I don't think the OP was bringing a laptop - only that the wired networks are setup for laptops.

I know there was a discussion of "portable" or "mobile" routers but it never delved deeply. I recall quickly looking at Bestbuy/etc but did not really find the ones that were mentioned and did not follow up.
    Ric01 likes this.
    12-15-11 01:40 PM
    I am using a d-link pocket router model 1350 plugged in the hotel room and it works fine for the hotels without wireless or if you are out of range. Some hotels have free internet and others charge you. You can set it up with password etc or run open.
    Ric01 likes this.
    12-15-11 01:48 PM
    Interloper:

As if I need another device in the carry-on but .....

Looking at the product, they mention setting it up with IOS apps. Can this thing be setup using the pb (you know 192.168.1.1 or similar) or even my Windows PC in Firefox - in other words if one needed to avoid the N standard can it be done if you don't have an Apple thingie????
    12-15-11 01:49 PM
    I don't think the OP was bringing a laptop - only that the wired networks are setup for laptops.

I know there was a discussion of "portable" or "mobile" routers but it never delved deeply. I recall quickly looking at Bestbuy/etc but did not really find the ones that were mentioned and did not follow up.
    Thanks F2. In addition to the options suggested by NFLPLAYBOOK, 00stryder, Interloper, I will follow-up for you with Canadian Bestbuy etc to see if there are any plug and play "portable" or "mobile" wireless routers.

If available, those portable routers will be a good option to traveling playbook users who either do not have BB phone to tether or whose BB got stuck with unfavorable data plan until the next contract like myself.

I will share if I have any good information from the retailers

Edit dono 54 had provided a proven solution.. thanks

Thanks
    Last edited by Ric01; 12-15-11 at 01:54 PM. Reason: dono 54 had provided a proven solution.. thanks
    12-15-11 01:51 PM
    I am using a d-link pocket router model 1350 plugged in the hotel room and it works fine for the hotels without wireless or if you are out of range. Some hotels have free internet and others charge you. You can set it up with password etc or run open.
    Thanks dono54.

Quick question, with your d-link 1350, do you need to configure anything with the various hotels when you change hotels before use or you just plug and play as you move to the various accommodations - as long there is an hard-wired internet RJ-45, you just plug and play like a toaster

Thanks
    Ric
    12-15-11 02:37 PM
    Another device you might consider, if you are a regular traveler, is the TRENDnet TEW-654TR. This is a SMALL travel router. It functions as either a router, Access Point, or in a Client Mode. I have used it both wireless and cabled to a laptop. I am currently using it as an AP for my Playbook on the 1st floor of my house (router/dsl is on 2nd floor) to provide better connectivity. You can check it out on the Trendnet.com site or Amazon. Its only US$50 or less. Have been using for several years & very pleased.
    Ric01 and bbzoomr like this.
    12-15-11 02:53 PM
    Interloper:

As if I need another device in the carry-on but .....

Looking at the product, they mention setting it up with IOS apps. Can this thing be setup using the pb (you know 192.168.1.1 or similar) or even my Windows PC in Firefox - in other words if one needed to avoid the N standard can it be done if you don't have an Apple thingie????
    Setup can be done through a Windows PC:

Apple (Canada) - AirPort Express - Easy Setup
    "Easy setup.
    After installing AirPort Utility from the CD included with AirPort Express, you're just a few short steps away from creating the ultimate Wi-Fi environment. For Mac users, AirPort Utility is located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder. And Windows users access AirPort Utility by selecting Start > All Programs > AirPort."

The long version (Airport Express setup guide):
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/air...guide_v4.2.pdf
    FF22 likes this.
    12-15-11 03:10 PM
    Ric01, you just plug in and play with the hotels networks. however as you are broadcasting you may want to config your router with a password otherwise you may have a number of other travelers using your router. The router is the size of a deck of cards and comes with a case.
    Ric01 likes this.
    12-15-11 05:25 PM
    Ric01,

Take a look at the ZuniDigital, Zuni Connect Traveler Wifi travel router.
    Ric01 likes this.
    12-15-11 08:20 PM
    I have a Motorola MiFi 2372 that works great with the BalckBerry PlayBook. I use it since it offers flexible data plan whereas my smartphone data plan would cost significantly more for the same data tier and would not be flexible as in automatically adjusts month-to-month.
    12-15-11 09:08 PM
    Be aware that there are *many* people who have problems connecting to 802.11n networks with the Playbook. RIM is apparently aware of this, but nothing has been done to fix it.
    BBPB OS 1.0.8.6067 addressed 802.11N and for many people there is no longer any connectivity drops when using N-mode. I had the dropped connection problem until upgrading to 1.0.8.6067 and re-enabling 802.11N on the router/access point.
    Ric01 likes this.
    12-15-11 09:33 PM
    Personally, I think all you need is a simple router. I would go get any cheap router (maybe a travel router if the size is important to you), and then setup the wireless settings before you leave.

I would:

1. Change the SSID of the router to something simple, such as Ric01
    2. Disable SSID broadcasting - this way people will not see your wireless network and try to use your internet.
    3. Enable WPA2 encryption
    4. If you experience any connectivity issues or don't want to risk not being able to connect to your router, disable any 802.11N functionality, and stick to 802.11G. You won't notice a difference in speed and you'll avoid any potential problems while you're out traveling.

Setup your router with those steps (you might even do it on the Playbook if you're so inclined) and then test out the setup before you leave. I wouldn't buy a $100 Airport Base station to do the job that can be done by any basic $20 wireless router.
    12-16-11 01:22 AM
    My Airport Express has got me out of trouble many times by providing "bring-your-own" WiFi on a wired network. Well worth the cash for any frequent traveller. The great thing about it here in Europe is that hotel WiFi is usually extra cost (or obscure login) through some obscure third party service provider inaccessible to mobile browsers, but the wired ports are often open access. Regardless, I can usually create my own access without fighting all the other users on an overloaded wireless AP with weak signals.

I don't use this product but it is very compact and seems to get good ratings. $100 in Canada and a good return policy if it doesn't work for you:

AirPort Express Base Station with 802.11n
    AirPort Express Base Station with 802.11n - Apple Store (Canada)

RIM fans will surely jump in and say there are workarounds (degrade router performance from n to g or b/g and a few other incantations involving WPA /WPA2 and TKIP) and that the fix will surely be here "soon". Trusting this device for mission critical internet access when you don't control the wifi access point is.. ill advised.

You should be able to set the router I mentioned above to use 802.11g (slower) and try some other router setting manipulations if you are one of those that can't use 802.11n. You'll want to check this / do this well before your trip if hotel internet access is critical.

Here's one broken wifi thread. Several more around. Some running over 10 pages:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...95#post6939595
    12-16-11 05:58 AM
    Ditto for the Mifi 2372. Other than my torch the mifi is my internet connection and works off 3g. It also has a battery, about 4 hours, and it fits in my pocket.
    12-16-11 07:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD