I know there are threads that are similar to what I am asking but they are outdated. My Question is simple as it gets but with a bit of specifics...
    Should i get the 16 or 32 GB playbook? I'm a college student who is gonna need it for quick updates on papers, studying, web browsing and messing around when i'm bored. With the New update coming out soon I am sure i'm gonna wanna get more apps.. so my second question is how much space is INITIALLY given to you when you first power on the device with the OS and settings fully installed. I not an overkill with apps but DeadSpace, or Tetris would be nice at the airport
    Thanks
    08-29-11 11:48 AM
    16 Gb appears sufficient, unless you want to upload full HD movies (more then one)
    12 Gb or so available after fresh OS install I think

anyway, 100€ or $ for 16GB extra is "pricy", especially with wifi and box.net / google docs capabilties for stuff you do not always need imediatly
    oscarantonio718 likes this.
    08-29-11 11:57 AM
    id say 32gb. ive got a 16gb and i can easily fill in if i tried.

having said that lucky for me ive over 20gb of storage on my 9900, so i can access any videos or such via bridge, which will free up loads of space on my pb. but thats only good if you have a blackberry.

i think mine had 14.7gb free when i got it which is still showing and ive 4.7gb remaining.

ive 58 applications (including dead space and nfs)
    644 music songs
    6 movies
    50 pictures
    and 2 documents.
    08-29-11 11:59 AM
    I say go for a 32GB. I have a 16GB with only 3GB left, and that's without any music thought I do have a handful of HD videos I've recorded with it.

having said that lucky for me ive over 20gb of storage on my 9900, so i can access any videos or such via bridge, which will free up loads of space on my pb. but thats only good if you have a blackberry.
    So this is true? You can access music/videos from your 9900/9930 through the Bridge?
    08-29-11 12:08 PM
    My 16GB is doing me fine. A 32GB would be nice if you think you'll use it. I have lots of stuff on my PB, like several full length mp4 movies, with enough free space for more.

If you are up for somewhat of an adventure of figuring what will fit and what you can live without, and can live with hauling around a full PB if you get that far, 16GB is plenty.

If you have any doubts that you will exceed 16GB in the near future, invest in the 32GB Playbook.
    08-29-11 12:10 PM
    I say go for a 32GB. I have a 16GB with
    So this is true? You can access music/videos from your 9900/9930 through the Bridge?
    well you could lol, well i could anywho.. most say you cant, and now i cant with the latest update. currently only limited to pictures.
    somehow managed to stream part of a video through bridge the other day, but was a fluke it appears. just tried again and it didnt work.
    But I cant see why it wont happen sooner rather than later though
    08-29-11 12:18 PM
    Thats Whats up thanks I'm looking forward to getting it in September, anymore info you can think of please keep letting me know every little thing is getting weighed onto which size i will get!!!!!
    08-29-11 12:23 PM
    Thats Whats up thanks I'm looking forward to getting it in September, anymore info you can think of please keep letting me know every little thing is getting weighed onto which size i will get!!!!!
    Ok, I'll tell you some more. I filled up my 16GB iPad way easy, had to delete tons of free junk apps just to keep some pics I wanted. There are too many apps for iOS. And they take up space like crazy. With the PB not having as many apps available for it, maybe this is not such a concern.

Also, I am able to keep some things in the cloud. For example, Amazon's cloud player for web let's you keep 5GB of songs for free to be played from practically any web browser. This helps keep hundreds of songs still accessible, but not taking up too much space on the PB. This is one example of this. With Box, you could do the same thing with documents, pictures, what have you.

I also considered getting the Seagate GoFlex at some point. This wireless hard drive creates a wifi network that is able to stream 500Gb content to your device. This is actually cross platform, which is why I might be able to use it for the Playbook and the iPad. Here you can watch Walt Mossberg's review of the device where he says it works, but can be improved. For example, one complaint is it loses connection for no reason. You also cannot be connected to wifi while using it. At $200, this is not exactly what you were asking about, but if we're talking storage being important on a tablet, this is an interesting new development.

I don't really regret purchasing the 16GB. I can find enough little tricks and neat things around the web and electronics stores to have options. Good luck in making the right decision. Everybody's media library is different, and everyone needs access to different things in different volumes.
    08-29-11 01:13 PM
    I got myself the 16gb version and find it sufficient. I recommend the 16gb PB only for people already owning a PC or Laptop. I also make the most of Cloud storage.
    I use Amazon Cloud which gives 5gb free storage and pb apps like Bluebox with 2gb storage and Box with 5gb storage.

But if you're a movie maniac like me go for 32gb.
    08-29-11 01:50 PM
    well you could lol, well i could anywho.. most say you cant, and now i cant with the latest update. currently only limited to pictures.
    somehow managed to stream part of a video through bridge the other day, but was a fluke it appears. just tried again and it didnt work.
    But I cant see why it wont happen sooner rather than later though
    If i could use bridge to stream movies to my playbook, id be in heaven
    08-29-11 01:58 PM
    In cases like this, I always think bigger is better. I'd rather pay an extra $100 now and have double the space than realize, after the fact, that the model I got was too small. I have about 25GB of music loaded on my 64GB PlayBook, not to mention videos, games, etc. I'm so happy I got the largest available but I realize everyone has different needs.

Just FYI, the new Dead Space game is about 500mb. If you're a gamer, you might want to go 32GB for that fact alone as more "professional" games are released for the platform.

Either way, enjoy!
    08-29-11 02:04 PM
    I'd go with 32 GB. I have an iPad 32 GB, and it's 3/4 full, pretty much divided evenly between music, videos/pictures/movies, and apps. I find that the music takes up more space than you think it will, even if you try to manage it to stuff you only really listen to, and the apps definitely gobble up space, it's disgusting how fast they fill up memory, especially the console-like video games. I plan on getting the PB once they release the V2.0 software, and I'm definitely going with 32 GB or higher. I know some people here say they don't give a hoot about apps, but once the Android Market opens up, I know that I'll be downloading apps like nobody's business. That bigger screen seems to make apps more enjoyable, which is probably why there are more apps on my iPad than on the iPod. So for me, I don't see that trend changing with the PB, there will be more apps on my PB than on my BB, hence I need more space.
    08-29-11 02:36 PM
    Not to downplay the 16GB too much, but if I had the chance to upgrade, I would do it. In fact, I have a protection plan at Office Depot that will cover the cost of even an accidentally destroyed Playbook with a gift card in the amount of my purchase. If this happens to me, I will kick in the extra dough to get the 32GB.
    08-29-11 03:51 PM
    I say the same thing every time someone asks this.

Buy as much as you can afford. I have a 64GB and 13.4GB of free storage.

I have:
    49 applications
    1101 Music
    34 Videos
    338 Pictures
    87 Documents
    08-29-11 03:55 PM
    32GB is better. I got the 16GB and filled it up. You will find it is small enough and nice enough to use as a video recorder and I got tons of video of my kids. Really great device. I gave the 16GB to my mother in law, my wife has another with 16 but I got 32GB.
    Actually, Bluebox/drop box can hold much of your videos and 7digital can hold your music in the cloud and share it across platforms so you could get away with 16 but 32 is really nice.
    Enjoy!
    Snoke likes this.
    08-29-11 04:03 PM
    I'd go for 32GB as well. Before the PB, I had a 16GB iPad and filled it up rather quickly with video, apps and music.

In cases like this, I always think bigger is better. I'd rather pay an extra $100 now and have double the space than realize, after the fact, that the model I got was too small. I have about 25GB of music loaded on my 64GB PlayBook, not to mention videos, games, etc. I'm so happy I got the largest available but I realize everyone has different needs.

Just FYI, the new Dead Space game is about 500mb. If you're a gamer, you might want to go 32GB for that fact alone as more "professional" games are released for the platform.

Either way, enjoy!
    I agree with LaFlamaBlanca. And who knows maybe non-game apps will grow in size as well (yeah you can argue on who would develop apps for the PB anyways), but you never know. I convert a lot of my movies and vids to play on my PB for when I travel and an average 2 hour flick pushes around 1GB already.
    08-29-11 05:28 PM
    I would opt you to buy the biggest you can afford. I bought a 32gb iPod touch thinking that would be enough and sure enough, I filled it pretty quickly.

I am thinking of buying the 64gb playbook especially now that staples has that 100 bucks off rebate. pretty sweet deal if you ask me.
    08-29-11 07:06 PM
    As most replies say go with the 32GB for more memory, then that logic means you should get the 64GB. I have a 16GB and I would like more memory but the cost is a factor. I do wireless transfers of videos and music from laptop and the speed is pretty good. About 10-15MB transfer rate per minute. However if you have the choice of 16 or 32GB, definitely go with 32.
    08-29-11 07:16 PM
    I say go for the 64GB. The memory can't be upgraded and you don't know what is coming down the pike. That is what I did.
    08-29-11 09:11 PM
    32gb nuff said!
    08-29-11 09:46 PM
    I say go big or go home!! 64GB ON DECK!!!
    08-29-11 10:16 PM
    64 .. lemme say it again 64GB
    08-29-11 10:18 PM
    I got over 45 movies .. 700 songs .. 30 90min mix cds .. and apps galore .. 64 is the BOSS #justsaying
    08-29-11 10:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD