Recently, I have started to get adverts on a website I use regularly. I have to admit I don't use the Playbook as much as I used to (just due to changes in routine/life style at the moment).

The website I use mostly is LocateTV. When I open it nowadays, I have a very small advert window flashing on the right hand side of the webpage but not enough to see what it is, nor to close it or do anything with it. Also, along with this flashing advert, I now get adverts in the space between every 10 programmes listed.

Has anyone else started getting these? Is there a particular reason why these adverts should have started recently? What can I do to get rid of them, please?

I do hope this isn't symptoms of virus/malware etc, which I thought Playbook was less likely to suffer from. Maybe I'm being naive

Cheers

PS I did ask this question on 'Ask a Question' but the only response I got wasn't useful so I'm hoping for some more success here. Thanks
    08-31-14 02:28 PM
    I've been seeing "sponsored" BlackBerry ads in Facebook.
    08-31-14 02:50 PM
    Thanks, sk8er_tor, Yes, they are maybe sponsored.

Whatever they are, the flashing one is a real distraction and nuisance. Because it is right over on the right hand side of the screen there is only a small section of the window showing so I can't close it, read it or do anything with it.

I'd really like to know how to stop these. I've not had them before.

In the meantime, I'm using another browser, Simple Browsing ?, and I don't get the adverts on that - yet!

Any suggestions as to how to get rid of them would be much appreciated.
    08-31-14 03:23 PM
    Can you post a screenshot? I went to that site and didn't see anything unusual. One thing you could do is turn off flash (settings/content) in the browser, reload the site, and see if the ads go away.
    08-31-14 05:35 PM
    Thanks for your reply, pacoman03

Here's a screenshot of what the screen looks like, with an advert in red, plus a small piece of an advert to the right of the screen. This isn't flashing like it was previously. I suspect the ads change frequently. However, I didn't used to have them so a bit concerned as to why I get them now.

Adverts appearing recently on website-img_00000132.png

I tried turning off 'flash' but, unfortunately, no difference. So, I tried re-booting my Playbook and it seems ok now, leading me to wonder why it was happening before? I have registered with this website and am logged in. Unfortunately, I can't work out how to log out!!!

Anyway, here is a screenshot of what it looks like since I re-booted - much better and back to 'normal'.

Adverts appearing recently on website-img_00000133.png

Can anyone suggest why this happened and is having these adverts appear after all this time anything to worry about, please?

Thanks
    08-31-14 06:32 PM
    Well then, one more question. Did you turn flash back on? I'm guessing that those ads are/were supposed to be there (they have to pay for the site somehow) and that they are flash based and not showing now because flash is turned off. I wouldn't really sweat it either way, though.
    08-31-14 06:46 PM
    Are you using the stock PB browser? If so, you may want to try Origami, as it has an ad block feature.
    08-31-14 07:14 PM
    "...want to try Origami, as it has an ad block feature. ..."
    Although seemingly like too many apps, they will ask for so many permissions to access your personal/private data residing on your PB... is it really worth it ?!! We don't think so !

Just about every "free" website these days pay for that "free" aspect, with built- in ads or ad pop-ups. Learned to ignore majority of them and have finger ready to scroll down beyond.
    08-31-14 10:29 PM
    Thanks guys

It seems the adverts have gone just now. Hopefully they won't be back too soon. Yes, I appreciate the website needs funding, hence getting sponsoring from advertisers. That wasn't my question though. My question was how to be rid of them and why had they started appearing recently when, for a long time (since I've had the Playbook) I've not had adverts. Also, I don't get adverts on my PC but I do have an ad blocker, I have to admit.

So, what seemed to have helped is one, or a combination, or all of the following that I've done -
    1 I've turned flash off
    2 I've turned java off
    3 Changes seem to have taken effect only after a re-boot

So, thanks to all of you for your suggestions, help and support.
    I'm very grateful to you all
    Cheers
    09-01-14 02:38 PM
    Turning off flash and java (particularly java) will make the Browser significantly faster. The trade off is that some sites will not be entirely functional, others won't function at all. Most should not be a problem though, including Crackberry (the main drawback here is you won't be able to "thank" a poster or "like" a post). One of the main advantages of using Origami, as I think MH suggested, is that it allows you to easily toggle flash and javascript off and on.
    09-01-14 02:53 PM
    Thanks
    I have already got Origami installed from some time ago but haven't used it much. So, now I'll use it and see how I get on with it. Perhaps one of you could explain how to toggle java and flash, should I need to? Thanks.

Cheers
    J
    09-01-14 03:08 PM
    Booster mode turns off flash and java. Tap icon at the top right of the screen.
    09-01-14 04:17 PM
    Thanks very much, pacoman
    I'll give that a try in the morning. Getting a bit late now

I'm happy that this is a solution for me

Cheers
    09-01-14 06:19 PM
    New ad appearing online for the passport:
    Adverts appearing recently on website-passport.png
    09-05-14 11:34 AM