Can't open large, eg 4 Mb PDF files which have been downloaded? Any workarounds?
    06-14-11 01:20 PM
    There don't appear to be as of yet. You could try splitting it into smaller chunks using Acrobat or a similar PDF creation program. Hopefully Adobe will update the app soon - it's way too basic in its current form.
    06-14-11 01:23 PM
    If I try to open even a 1-2mb file, all I get is a grey screen. I put it on the pb hdd and it recognizes it as a pdf but still gives a grey screen. Is this the same problem you got? Anyone else got this problem or fix? thanks
    06-14-11 02:54 PM
    I am viewing a 60+MB PDF, exported from a Powerpoint file, on my PlayBook right now. It is composed primarily of high res images.
    06-14-11 04:04 PM
    I am viewing a 60.2 pdf of a magazine with no problem.
    06-14-11 04:09 PM
    I am viewing a 60.2 pdf of a magazine with no problem.
    Someone's always got to one up me.
    06-14-11 04:21 PM
    Is the OP downloading the PDF into his BB and trying to open it via Bridge?

I believe there's a file size limitation on the BB?

There's also a new Adobe PDF reader in appworld..have you tried downloading that?
    Last edited by narci; 06-14-11 at 04:32 PM.
    06-14-11 04:27 PM
    I tried opening one with 1-2mb and 58mb and it was the same problem with both. i put them into my documents through my computer (z drive). adobe recognizes it as a pdf but yet when i open it, it shows nothing but gray. its a scanned book with some pictures at the beg

how do u guys put it onto ur pb? any suggestions? (sorry dont mean to hijack the thread but didnt wanna make a new one)
    06-14-11 09:20 PM
    I'm able to open a 20mb pdf from both the PB and bridge. It takes longer to load using bridge i just moved the file onto my PB and it works the same only faster
    06-14-11 10:15 PM
    This has been upsetting me more each day. I really don't understand. I tried to open a 7 meg pdf that was the instruction manual for a camera I just bought. I tried six ways from Sunday to try and get it open. I even sideloaded it from my android phone just to make sure the whole thing was there since there is no way to tell on the playbook that there has been any progress until you see the final size in the open dialog box. Again, it only opened a plain grey background.

The really frustrating part is how elegant the entire process was on my android phone. With a 4.3" screen. Which is what I had to use to read the pdf.

I thought AIR was supposed to be an integral part of the playbook. If pdf is adobes bread and butter why doesn't this work better?
    06-15-11 08:18 AM
    i am having this same issue, i contacted blackberry playbook support, sent them two files i could not open and this is the response i received

"So I tested the attachment again on the PlayBook, and was only able to get up to page 8, all the rest of the pages are blank. I loaded the attachment onto the computer, and it said this PDF was not created in Adobe, it says the PDF producer was Python PDF Library. So if the files are not created in Adobe we cannot guarantee that they will be 100% compatible."

i dont know if this helps
    06-16-11 11:31 AM
    i am having this same issue, i contacted blackberry playbook support, sent them two files i could not open and this is the response i received

"So I tested the attachment again on the PlayBook, and was only able to get up to page 8, all the rest of the pages are blank. I loaded the attachment onto the computer, and it said this PDF was not created in Adobe, it says the PDF producer was Python PDF Library. So if the files are not created in Adobe we cannot guarantee that they will be 100% compatible."

i dont know if this helps
    You have GOT to be kidding me. If that is RIM's answer, then they just

Believe me, I am not a RIM basher and have literally gotten sick of the ifans trolling this board, but this...

Okay, I have taken a deep breath.

The file I tried to open was created by Olympus as the official instruction manual for one of their cameras.

So an engine blows up on a car in warranty, and the dealer says, "well we don't know where you bought your gas." Yeah, that would fly.

serenity now
    06-16-11 11:38 AM
    adobe is the cause of my greatest frustrations with pb. the ability to read all kind of pdf files was one of the main reasons i bought pb at this time. not only adobe gave pb users a pos app, they kept rim from knowing the limitations and requirements of this awful app.

i have many pfd files not created in adobe. some of them are ebooks, some texts, some manuals etc and all of them can be read on pc without any problems.
    when trying to read these files on pb, some large files show all pages, others (even smaller files) can only get to page 9-10 and then go blank.

i talked to rim support re: adobe several times and every time their answer was a little bit different. at first they tried to tell me there is a limit on file size, but they did not know what that limit was. finally, they confirmed that the problems with adobe are known problems and said that rim is working closely with adobe to resolve them. no word yet on when.
    06-16-11 10:26 PM
    I have a 74.4MB PDF that opens fine.

Flipping through 6,000 pages with no bookmark support is er.. you get the idea.
    06-16-11 10:47 PM
    I have a large file, 200mb, and cant get it to open in the native adobe app or the purchased pdf reader app, any ideas?
    09-22-12 04:27 PM
    I've had problems opening some pdfs on my pb and after doing some research I discovered it can depend on the program that was used to create the pdf. Even some particular versions of Adobe (and there are several) can cause this conflict. This information came from an actual RIM article on their site and they said there was no date for resolution at this point. So they're aware of it, but aren't fixing it apparently. Wish I had better info to give you, sorry.
    09-22-12 04:40 PM
    The first thing to do is to make sure the file isn't corrupted. Try opening the file with the PDF reader on your PC (meaning the file on your PB, not the one that may be on your PC)
    09-22-12 04:53 PM
    It will cost you $9.99 but Picsel Smart Office 2 is pretty good on PDFs.

The interface is pretty colorful and non-business like, but the software is excellent. I used this on the HP Touchpad and it was the only way us users could really use large PDF's on the tablet. It's the same on the Playbook. The Adobe app is terrible. qPDF isn't much better. Really this is the only app I use now. Check it out on YouTube

Someone said they have a 200MB PDF. If you want to upload it to Dropbox or such a site and message me, I will try and download it and install it on my PB before you drop $10 on the app...I'll delete the PDF afterwards.

The largest file I have used is about 75 MB and it chews through it no sweat.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 09-22-12 at 06:10 PM.
    09-22-12 06:07 PM
    You could also try qPdf or Repligo (sideloading required)
    09-22-12 06:31 PM
    OMG don't get me started with Adobe PDF reader its the worst! I use qPDF its nice and free. There is no way to set it to be the default app right now but it works!!

Adobe PDF can't even open a small pdf of my direct deposit from an employer. Thats only 1.5MB not big at all. I've opened much larger but just grab qPDF. That should work for you
    09-22-12 06:32 PM
    Thank you guys!
    09-22-12 07:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD