anyone find any functional improvement with the upgrade to adobe reader to v10.0.2?
    09-13-11 08:35 PM
    From the top, pull down the task bar
    There is a quick 'search' function for file names in the upper right corner....like a magnifier icon
    Type in a few letters and all pdf files with those characters pop-up.
    'Search' works for both the PB and BB phone directories: Select the source, either (Playbook) or (Phone).

While this search is for file names only, there is no ability to search words in OCR text recognized pdf files.

IMO, it seems to turn large files faster from landscape to portrait (????)
    Last edited by mandony; 09-15-11 at 03:26 PM.
    09-13-11 09:04 PM
    when i swipe down from top the only option that i get in upper right is a file folder icon that takes me to a file directory to open another file
    09-13-11 09:39 PM
    Well... the version number is different at least
    chiefbroski likes this.
    09-13-11 09:58 PM
    I'm able to open large file with no problem now.
    09-14-11 04:28 AM
    This has been out for months hasn't it? Its still the same crap. I can't even view large pdfs, no search function, slow page turning, slow pinch to zoom and rendering, no copy function, no jumping to a particular page. Same CRAP.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    FF22 and Guyzer like this.
    09-14-11 04:51 AM
    i'm still running 10.01.....was it in a software update or was it sideloaded somehow?
    09-14-11 05:01 AM
    i'm still running 10.01.....was it in a software update or was it sideloaded somehow?
    It is in AppWorld.
    09-14-11 08:04 AM
    weird, I have adobe reader, but never got prompted for an update, and I went to "my world" and it didn't list adobe reader even though I have it.
    09-14-11 08:48 AM
    weird, I have adobe reader, but never got prompted for an update, and I went to "my world" and it didn't list adobe reader even though I have it.
    Check your uninstalled section of "my world"; chances are that Adobe Reader was listed there. You can simply reinstall the app which will download the upgrade and shift Adobe Reader to your Installed section of My World.
    09-14-11 09:56 AM
    More or less same story here, have been running and using previous original version everyday. Only found out upgrade available through this thread just now. I went to appworld and there was no prompt to update. Searched for Adobe in appworld, opened the app page and there was the option to DOWNLOAD?

Downloaded it and opened the app and there is NOTHING different at all with this version compared to previous at all in UI........ Go figure.

This app has to be one of the the biggest disappointments in terms of "professional functionality" on this "professional" device. Moreso that it is a NATIVE adobe app.

I have stated previously, as an EFL English teacher, I have hundreds of PDF books on my device and through Acrobat 9 I have painstakingly embedded many media files such as .mp3 and .swf (flash) media onto many of the pages of many books and also created links from contents page to actual pages in these books. This effort has allowed me to become very efficient in the classroom when presenting my lessons via LCD projector.

On my PC, I can click on these links and go immediately to the relevant page or listen to and view media on the page. On the PB, I am unable to touch utilise these links and icons, even though I can see them on the page and with no bookmarks or search options available to me, I have to "guesstimate" where everything is and load all the video and music files separately to the PB and go searching for them as needed.

Because of this deficiency, I still have to use my laptop and my PB is NOT a work device in my situation. I hope that ADOBE will seriously update this embarrassing effort of theirs, or that some 3rd party developer will steal ADOBE's thunder and provide a killer .pdf viewer app with FULL functionality.

I love my playbook, but it is nothing more than a "professional media consumption" device at this stage.

End of rant......
    09-14-11 11:04 AM
    On my PC, I can click on these links and go immediately to the relevant page or listen to and view media on the page. On the PB, I am unable to .....
    Because of this deficiency, I still have to use my laptop ...
    You are correct in your response. Tablets serve different functions than PC's, or smart phones, or gaming devices that do more than gaming. Will the functionality of the Tablet equal that of the PC, likely not. There will be a next generation of 'devices' that will serve the need of all jobs for all people. That being said, devices and OS that have tried to achieve all goals become so bloated that there is limiting return.

I commend you for fully using the Adobe program to perform very advanced operations for your special need.
    Last edited by mandony; 09-14-11 at 11:29 AM.
    09-14-11 11:23 AM
    I commend you for fully using the Adobe program to perform very advanced operations for your special need.
    Thank you. Yes, due to my reliance on .pdf files, I guess I do a lot more with the program than the average Joe. Having said that, although I don't have first hand experience with it, it is my understanding that there is an Android .pdf viewer app that is at least capable of using the media playback on the page. If that is possible, then I don't see it being such a big step to use the interpage links. I'm guessing that is what the bookmarks are a version of.
    09-14-11 11:43 AM
    I would hope that any 3rd party effort to improve on the pdf viewer would not be closed out by rim's efforts to lock certain functions of their offerings. The current one is close to laughable and no where near professional.
    09-14-11 11:55 AM
    I would hope that any 3rd party effort to improve on the pdf viewer would not be closed out by rim's efforts to lock certain functions of their offerings. The current one is close to laughable and no where near professional.
    Imagine what it would look like if it was Version 1.0 and not Version 10.0 And yes, laughable is a term that best describes this reader. You raise an interesting point - would a 3rd party pdf app be approved by RIM given their relationship with Adobe and the fact that RIM seems to be unwilling to approve apps that improve on their native ones/functions.
    09-14-11 12:16 PM
    Hopefully once Android player comes in, more functional PDF readers will be available
    09-14-11 12:43 PM
    From the top, pull down the task bar
    There is a quick 'search' function in the upper right corner.
    Type in a few letters and all pdf files with those characters pop-up.
    'Search' works for both the PB and BB phone directories: Select the source, either (Playbook) or (Phone).

IMO, it seems to turn large files faster from landscape to portrait (????)
    Swipe down from the top and press the folder icon on the top right. There is a small magnifying glass on the next file selection page. This is the search function. Missed it myself the first few times
    09-14-11 01:02 PM
    pfft.. that's not a "search" feature. All it does is narrow down the list of PDF files, it doesn't search the documents themselves.

This really is a piece of crap app. I realize the PlayBook isn't a desktop replacement, but PDF files are used pretty widely now. Bookmarks, search, hyperlinks and the ability to open password protected files should be standard features.
    09-15-11 02:13 PM
    If only iAnnotate PDF for the ipad would make an app for the playbook
    09-15-11 02:18 PM
    New to PB. Can some one tell me where I can find help on Adobe Reader? I don't see it in the user guide or the Help App. I'm confused about why it shows some files and not others, why it won't open some supported file types and how to delete files.

Any help would be appreciated.
    10-01-11 06:38 PM
    New to PB. Can some one tell me where I can find help on Adobe Reader? I don't see it in the user guide or the Help App. I'm confused about why it shows some files and not others, why it won't open some supported file types and how to delete files.

Any help would be appreciated.
    I'm not sure if a help file exists for the Acrobat Reader that's found on the PlayBook.

If you want to delete files directly from the PlayBook, go to the AppWorld and download the free app called AIR Browser. This will show you the contents of your PlayBook and will allow you to delete files (look in the documents folder as well as the downloads folder). You can also delete files on the PlayBook by using your computer either when it's connected via USB or wirelessly (if you set that up).
    10-01-11 07:21 PM
    It seems that whether the pdf reader can read files may be based on the program that created them. Folks have been able to open fairly large files, so size may not be the factor. It might be that some programs that saveas or print-to pdf might not create a pdf files that can be opened.

Check out 3rd party apps to erase/rename/etc - Air Browser is free.
    10-01-11 07:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD