Has anybody experienced this?

If I add some videos to the Playbook, sometimes a couple of them don't show up in the Videos section.

They are 100% in a compatible format, and they are 100% copied onto the device. I can see them right there in the videos folder when I connect to a Windows machine and can even play them back on the Windows machine via USB.

It seems the Playbook simply doesnt 'refresh' its knowledge of what is in the videos folder. Sometimes I can trick it into seeing a video by renaming it (eg movie1 > movie2) but not always.

I have experienced this on several Playbooks.
    07-19-13 01:06 PM
    Welcome to the forums!

Well, if you can play them in Windows all that says is they are 100% compatible with Windows. If a video doesn't show in the Videos app, it clearly indicates something is not right.

I'd ssugest using Desktop Software and telling it to convert the videos to the PlayBook's format, instead of doing a drag&drop.
    smargy likes this.
    07-19-13 01:13 PM
    Before stating they're 100% compatible with the PlayBook, you should tell us what the file extensions of these videos are and also what are the audio and video codecs used to encode the videos. You can get this info using VLC Media player in windows or by using a free windows program such as MediaInfo.
    07-19-13 01:28 PM
    I've had some issues with file sizes as well. . . some larger videos have not shown up on my PB.
    smargy likes this.
    07-19-13 01:42 PM
    I specifically said they were 100% compatible to avoid people asking me if they were compatible.

And the point of saying I can play them in Windows is to show that the entire file exists on the Playbook storage in a non-corrupt form. ie the copy operation was successful.

It is a Playbook OS bug, I was wondering if others have experienced it or can suggest how to avoid it. I think it may relate to having the video app open at the time of copying the stuff across, I will see if I can reliably reproduce it.
    07-19-13 02:50 PM
    No offense, but we don't know you, and we don't know if you have a clue as to what you're talking about. You say the vids are "100% compatible", but obviously they're not since they're not showing up in your Videos app. Anyhow, if you don't want to help us help you by providing relevant information rather than conclusions on your part, why should we help you?
    07-19-13 03:05 PM
    No offense, but we don't know you, and we don't know if you have a clue as to what you're talking about. You say the vids are "100% compatible", but obviously they're not since they're not showing up in your Videos app. Anyhow, if you don't want to help us help you by providing relevant information rather than conclusions on your part, why should we help you?
    It is not a compatiblity issue, I have stated this twice already.

And I stated in the first post that I can sometimes get the videos to show up by renaming them (NOT an extension change) - if you do not understand how this rules out codec compatibility then no offence, but you have poor technical understanding and your input on the issue won't be helpful anyway.

Thanks
    07-19-13 03:23 PM
    Not to jump in but I want to thank Pacoman03 for his many helpful posts and the knowledge they have afforded me. Any time that I have a problem I welcome his help.
    pacoman03 likes this.
    07-19-13 03:45 PM
    While it is not a common problem, you are not the only one who has had this issue. Although I have not seen it on my pb in a while, it used to occur more frequently under earlier OS's.

Unless you are the guy/gal who posted about this problem earlier in the week, someone else just ran into it. They think they tracked it to mkv files or other files where ONE file was not fully compatible and once that one was "in the way" then other files were "hidden."

You can try copying them again but first REBOOT your pb.
    smargy likes this.
    07-19-13 04:18 PM

Unless you are the guy/gal who posted about this problem earlier in the week, someone else just ran into it. They think they tracked it to mkv files or other files where ONE file was not fully compatible and once that one was "in the way" then other files were "hidden."
    It is definitely not a compatibility issue since all my files are 100% compatible (I am a codec engineer) but indeed it seems to be something like that....one file is corrupt and so the playbook decides to ignore all subsequently copied files perhaps.

Another line of enquiry I have been thinking about is that perhaps the playbook looks at a file mid-copy, decides it is corrupt (due to being only partial) and then does not bother to re-check this file subsequently.

I will try to narrow it down with the help of the info on the other thread. Thanks to everybody who was helpful.
    07-22-13 07:17 AM
    I'm sure someone mentioned it here already, but I think files over 4gb are not supported by the filesystem.
    07-22-13 08:15 AM
    It is definitely not a compatibility issue since all my files are 100% compatible (I am a codec engineer) but indeed it seems to be something like that....one file is corrupt and so the playbook decides to ignore all subsequently copied files perhaps.

Another line of enquiry I have been thinking about is that perhaps the playbook looks at a file mid-copy, decides it is corrupt (due to being only partial) and then does not bother to re-check this file subsequently.

I will try to narrow it down with the help of the info on the other thread. Thanks to everybody who was helpful.
    Sheesh, I've even met the rare "He's a rocket scientist" but never a "codec engineer!"

It is an oddball bug for sure. In some fashion, the pb "indexes" its various files. It does not matter if they are in the Photo or Video or Music folder or elsewhere, it will find them and GENERALLY show them in their respective apps. But the video files seem to not be appropriately indexed and "disappear". Or the index is not updated when Videos are added????
    07-22-13 09:06 AM
    Sheesh, I've even met the rare "He's a rocket scientist" but never a "codec engineer!"

It is an oddball bug for sure. In some fashion, the pb "indexes" its various files. It does not matter if they are in the Photo or Video or Music folder or elsewhere, it will find them and GENERALLY show them in their respective apps. But the video files seem to not be appropriately indexed and "disappear". Or the index is not updated when Videos are added????
    Makes me wonder if it was BB intention to prevent certain files from playing for security reason. In any case, I think OP should just invest in getting Kalemsoft.
    07-22-13 10:10 AM
    I've encountered this problem, too. And I've discovered that the videos will show up if you copy one bye one videos instead of copying multiples videos.
    diegonei likes this.
    10-10-14 05:57 AM
    I've encountered this problem, too. And I've discovered that the videos will show up if you copy one bye one videos instead of copying multiples videos.
    Killer first post: a solution.
    10-10-14 07:26 AM