It was a little annoying that I couldn't keep the PB upright and viewable in the convertible case while charging. So, I came up with a simple solution:

1) Before attaching the charger, tightly wrap a rubber band around the bottom bezel.
    2) Turn the PB upside down, so that the charger sticks out of the top.
    3) Bring the case flap to the back of the PB up against the rubber band, which acts as a temporary stopper.

See attached picture.

Voila!
    Last edited by saescott; 02-08-12 at 03:55 AM.
    pauldriver likes this.
    02-08-12 02:38 AM
    Nice, now you need a gray rubber band!
    02-08-12 08:35 AM
    That wouldn't have shown up well in the picture
    I actually use a black one...
    02-08-12 08:37 AM
    Haha, your not alone, as i did this 4-5 days ago, also for similar reasons
    02-08-12 09:48 AM
    i find it a lot easier to use now, much because i use the ports way more than the bottons, only downside is video chats upsidedown and any thing else that has limited orientation,but most of those i dont use, the rest is all fine
    02-08-12 09:53 AM
    There is a bit of glare making hard to see - did you cut out holes in the plastic edging around the ports/vol+power buttons?
    02-08-12 10:09 AM
    Only problem is, you still can't plug in headphones AND a charger at the same time.

I listen to music on mine while at work and use headphones so my coworkers don't have to listen to my music (even though they don't return the favor, so maybe my headphones are so I don't have to listen theirs). So while it seems great to be able to plug it in like that, it still doesn't solve my issue.
    02-08-12 10:22 AM
    Headphone problem may be solved if 2.0 allows for BT headphone compatibility (I have BT headphones, so I am counting on that...)
    02-08-12 10:37 AM
    I bought the rapid recharger for $20. The connector is at 90 degree. I also travel with the charging "cube" from my 9800. I have a 90 deg micro usb cable that I use for playing and for overnight charging. The 90 bend allow me to close the cover.
    saescott likes this.
    02-08-12 10:45 AM
    I bought the rapid recharger for $20. The connector is at 90 degree. I also travel with the charging "cube" from my 9800. I have a 90 deg micro usb cable that I use for playing and for overnight charging. The 90 bend allow me to close the cover.
    Does the USB cube charge the PB as fast as the PB native charger? If it is just a plain BB charger, it may not have enough juice... My cube came with my 9780, I will gove it a try - and I will try to get a USB>Micro cable with a 90 degree tip. Thanks!
    02-08-12 10:57 AM
    here i have a few better pics now (crappy cam) , and ya i cant access my headphone port but i dont have music or use it any ways,,, oh and the mics are covered too, but they get a clear pickup regardless, and yes i did use a razor blade to cut as strait of lines i could , but this is half done and sanding (it turns out its a strong material to cut so it needs to have the burs removed ) and then a final smoothing, to make it look as store bought as possible ( next part of the project is to size down the camera hole were it meets the workbook and make a bolt like rivet so i can add a latch on it to keep it from opening in my bag) though this will take some time.
    saescott, farskija and speedypear like this.
    02-08-12 10:58 AM
    i aswell have bluetooth headphones , that might be why i forgot to care about the 3.5mm jack
    02-08-12 11:00 AM
    care is needed though if you want to remove the buttons aswell, as the rubber/plastic casing is quite tough , it trys to warp out of the way even when pushing a razer blade through it wile mounted on a 2x4 with some braces , wich has contributed to the raw burs & minor flaws ; i cut smaller than intended to avoid permanent flaws. (makes me think my dremel tool will do well to polish out the burs and such)
    02-08-12 11:19 AM
    care is needed though if you want to remove the buttons aswell, as the rubber/plastic casing is quite tough , it trys to warp out of the way even when pushing a razer blade through it wile mounted on a 2x4 with some braces , wich has contributed to the raw burs & minor flaws ; i cut smaller than intended to avoid permanent flaws. (makes me think my dremel tool will do well to polish out the burs and such)
    You are 1 brave person... I have been tempted to cut a hole through the center of the leather case spine to allow for plugging in the charger while the case is closed, but I didn't want to ruin the pretty "Blackberry" logo...
    DAnklaud likes this.
    02-08-12 11:39 AM
    ya... i know what you mean when you say that you dont want to wreak the leather/logo, thats another reason i when for the reversal of the PB, and for last (to regain function of the back camera) i need to visit the leather man in my town to buy a hole punch so i can get perfect(Im a bit ocd) holes through the rubber and leather were the camera is now.Then Ill get a .7cm diameter ring rivit to place on the leather cam hole to be made.I couldn't conceive of a way to cut a rounded corner rectangle were the logo is, and to use the charger or data cable with the case on the way it came was a bit of a hassle to handle. Im thinking of making a vid of this to post when Im done
    baldflux likes this.
    02-08-12 12:05 PM
    It was a little annoying that I couldn't keep the PB upright and viewable in the convertible case while charging. So, I came up with a simple solution:

1) Before attaching the charger, tightly wrap a rubber band around the bottom bezel.
    2) Turn the PB upside down, so that the charger sticks out of the top.
    3) Bring the case flap to the back of the PB up against the rubber band, which acts as a temporary stopper.

See attached picture.

Voila!
    MacGyver would be proud!
    02-08-12 12:11 PM
    Does the USB cube charge the PB as fast as the PB native charger? If it is just a plain BB charger, it may not have enough juice... My cube came with my 9780, I will gove it a try - and I will try to get a USB>Micro cable with a 90 degree tip. Thanks!
    It doesn't have the same "juice" but works. I see a plug icon and not the lightning bolt. It's certainly has enough to power it without any further battery power loss (I've played movies this way), and will *slowly* recharge it with light use.

Since I travel a fair amount, I try to bring as few chargers as I can and prefer to carry USB cables instead. I typically charge both my phones (9800, 9000) off my laptop's USB ports and use the cube for the PB. The cables allow me to swap things around as I need to.

I was on a cross-USA flight on Delta last week that has USB power ports. The 90 deg cable was PERFECT to power up and allow my PB to be propped up in the cover and watch a nice l-o-n-g movie hands free!
    saescott likes this.
    02-08-12 02:39 PM
    The rapid charger (uses 3rd port) or L shaped micro USB option is sounding better by the minute
    DAnklaud likes this.
    02-09-12 11:54 AM
    ya i hear ya there, thuogh i just passed up the 24w charger yesterday
    02-09-12 07:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD