As per new video poasted RIM is using active sync for emails with option of NOC adding a layer of security and compression.

So my question is what happens to Relay technology that RIM used for Push emails.Any body knows?
    01-13-12 11:01 PM
    I'm curious myself. Although NOS is still there, not an option, from what I got from our IT, who has been dealing with RIM on the Fusion and Balance. And IMAP and POP are still supported which iOS doesn't on Enterprise.
    01-14-12 03:03 AM
    My BlackBerry Bold 9780 has both BES email and BIS email configured. The BES email appears on the smartphone almost immediately of it being received by Microsoft Exchange and BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express. The BIS email, an IMAP account, arrives on the smartphone usually within 2-5 minutes of its receipt by the hosted UNIX mail server. The upcoming ability to manage BlackBerry tablets like BlackBerry smartphones using BlackBerry Mobile Fusion will be a nice feature.
    01-14-12 08:55 AM
    I'm confused because when I had an old windows os phone active sync was "pull" type mail. Where the server was polled occasionally and pulled data down to the phone.

HOWEVER in the video that kevin did with the RIM guy. They sent a test email from Kevins phone and it showed up on the playbook in seconds. The RIM rep could be heard saying that it was "PUSH" email. So...

I'm confused..... Is this or is this not push email? RIM says it is. Video showed it was or either this is the best dang active sync ever created.
    01-14-12 09:12 AM
    This is not the same activesync of 5-10 years ago that you used with your palm or whatever. This is much different
    01-14-12 09:57 AM
    I'm confused because when I had an old windows os phone active sync was "pull" type mail. Where the server was polled occasionally and pulled data down to the phone.

HOWEVER in the video that kevin did with the RIM guy. They sent a test email from Kevins phone and it showed up on the playbook in seconds. The RIM rep could be heard saying that it was "PUSH" email. So...

I'm confused..... Is this or is this not push email? RIM says it is. Video showed it was or either this is the best dang active sync ever created.
    I believe, from a Mobile Nation Enterprise podcast, Craig described the Active Sync as a push-pull hybrid concept but on the end-user experience it is essentially push.

Craig makes a comment that iOS and Android also use Active Sync.
    01-14-12 10:11 AM

It may simply depend on the nature of the email account. If it's a POP3 server, it's inherently "pull" (polled) without persistent connections. With IMAP it would be able to hold the connection open, and the server can send data down it as soon as it arrives there... effectively "push".

If RIM's made this even slicker, they may be using a single efficient "push" connection to the NOC, through which they could send all manner of notifications for new stuff, including video chat "contact presence" updates, new emails, social network messages, and so on, with the NOC being the one to maintain various connections to the various sources and do all the heavy lifting. Would be a nice way to leverage their infrastructure for competitive advantage... save battery, more robust, etc.

No idea if it even remotely resembles something like that though. The PB may simply be connecting to each of your accounts, on its own, and polling or staying connected as appropriate for the account type.
    01-14-12 10:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD