we've seen a few leak about BB10 and we've seen what they called "active frame"... I just want to know what do you think about it especially compared with the widget wich android already has? and wich one do you actually prefer on bb10?
    10-25-12 09:51 AM
    widgets....

we havent really got to see the active frames yet though to make the comparsons
    10-25-12 10:19 AM
    I think the combination of the UIB (unified in box) and Home Screen could be better than widgets. Only because you have already open the app you are interested in and notifications are only a swipe away at all times. Having to scroll through a few panels in Android to find your widget you might as well open a real app imo. We have to see the finished OS first though.
    10-25-12 10:39 AM
    Active frames provide a much more uniform experience. Widgets feel like clutter.
    10-25-12 10:39 AM
    Active frames
    10-25-12 12:43 PM
    I'd like to see active content in the app icons, at least (eg temp in a weather app). Active Frames show some promise, but with only four visible at a time the screen will fill pretty quick. I wonder if there's any chance of making the frames about 30% smaller and fitting 6 of them onscreen at a time?
    10-25-12 12:48 PM
    I'd like to see active content in the app icons, at least (eg temp in a weather app). Active Frames show some promise, but with only four visible at a time the screen will fill pretty quick. I wonder if there's any chance of making the frames about 30% smaller and fitting 6 of them onscreen at a time?
    There is active content available to view in active frames. I think kevin made a video of this. For example if bbm is an active frame and someone updates their picture it will show the update in the frame.
    10-25-12 02:03 PM
    There is active content available to view in active frames. I think kevin made a video of this. For example if bbm is an active frame and someone updates their picture it will show the update in the frame.
    I think it could be better if "active" means we can do something to the active frame without bring it into fullscreen app.. i.e. if we open music payer, it would be fun if we can just skip to the next song by click the next button on the active frames without bring it to full screen first.. so the active frames not only active in viewing updates but also acitve in doing some tasks... and so far we have seen active frames in portrait shape... not the phone posisition I mean but the active frames shape... I'm wondering if we could see it in landscape shape too... but of course probably the screen would only could show 2-3 active frame for the better viewing experience...
    10-25-12 09:43 PM
    I think it could be better if "active" means we can do something to the active frame without bring it into fullscreen app.. i.e. if we open music payer, it would be fun if we can just skip to the next song by click the next button on the active frames without bring it to full screen first.. so the active frames not only active in viewing updates but also acitve in doing some tasks... and so far we have seen active frames in portrait shape... not the phone posisition I mean but the active frames shape... I'm wondering if we could see it in landscape shape too... but of course probably the screen would only could show 2-3 active frame for the better viewing experience...
    It wouldnt suprise me if we were able to do tasks to apps in active frames without opening the frame.
    10-25-12 10:04 PM
    It wouldnt suprise me if we were able to do tasks to apps in active frames without opening the frame.
    It would actually be surprising right now, given that the documentation makes it explicit that they are non-interactive.
    10-25-12 10:16 PM
    It would actually be surprising right now, given that the documentation makes it explicit that they are non-interactive.
    Well that does suprise me sir
    10-25-12 10:21 PM
    Active frames because they seem to be more imbedded into the OS.
    10-25-12 11:02 PM
    honestly if you cant interact with them then they certainly lose some appeal IMO. I love have a scrolling calender, email and facebook/twitter widget on android.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    10-25-12 11:15 PM
    honestly if you cant interact with them then they certainly lose some appeal IMO. I love have a scrolling calender, email and facebook/twitter widget on android.
    Agreed.

I like the active frame concept, but would prefer interactive capability.
    10-26-12 12:58 AM
    Its an app thats open though. Just press it and the speedy OS brings it up right away for full functionality. It doesnt have to launch so its instantaneous
    10-26-12 01:26 AM
    Its an app thats open though. Just press it and the speedy OS brings it up right away for full functionality. It doesnt have to launch so its instantaneous
    why do i want to open the app, thats whats nice about widgets. You dont have to open the app, there is no launching or anything.
    10-26-12 01:51 AM
    why do i want to open the app, thats whats nice about widgets. You dont have to open the app, there is no launching or anything.
    agreed.. :thumbup:
    10-26-12 02:26 AM
    i have tried widgets on my friends android. i like the concept of widgets in the sense that live information is being updated infront of your eyes. and while active frames are not widgets... active frames also update information live which is nice. I dont like the size of widgets on android however... you can re-size, which is good i guess, but its can become messy in my opinion, as some are big, some are small, you have to use different pages etc... I like the fixed size of the active frames on bb10... they look good.. BBM as an example has shown how good active frames are going to be!!
    10-26-12 08:50 AM
    Definitely widgets for now...I haven't seen a good active-frames implementation yet though. If they are indeed not interactive, then they lose considerable appeal. They're already a bit clumsy having to find them all on a single page instead of allowing them to be mixed amongst other apps.

The fact that you can't seem to choose the location of an individual frame or which frames stay open is a bit of a turn-off as well.
    10-26-12 08:57 AM
    Haven't seen enough of active frames to judge. Do like that widgets are always there compared to active frames being the most recent applcations.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    10-26-12 08:57 AM
    You arent really opening the app. You arent launching an app. It takes the same amount of time and effort as swiping to the side to see your widgets. If i have a weather app running on a playbook and leave it open, when im on my main screen its certainly not harder to maximize the size of that than it would be to go to widgets.
    10-26-12 09:21 AM
    You arent really opening the app. You arent launching an app. It takes the same amount of time and effort as swiping to the side to see your widgets. If i have a weather app running on a playbook and leave it open, when im on my main screen its certainly not harder to maximize the size of that than it would be to go to widgets.
    It takes zero physical interaction to look at a widget that is on your screen. It will always take more to open it, at least until the phones get a neural interface.
    10-26-12 09:39 AM
    How would an Active Frame for, say, a Twitter app work?
    10-26-12 09:46 AM
    Assuming its non-interactive, I'd think it would work just like a live-tile on Windows phone. Slightly more customizable by the developer possibly.
    10-26-12 09:55 AM
    Perhaps showing the newest tweet from your TL and updating
    10-26-12 10:25 AM
34 12