Hi

I have my Playbook networked with my PC, via wifi as far as I know, and have now worked out how to access files on my PC. However, my main drive is really a 2nd HDD and this is the one where the files are that I would mostly want access to.

I have tried inputting an alternative path to the E drive but nothing happened so I presumably haven't or have input something somewhere. Here's hoping it's just me not getting the path correct My logic tells me that as I can see C drive and the files within, then I can't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to see files in E

Just for info, I have Win7 64-bit, Playbook has Ghost Commander installed

So, please could someone explain to me how I access my E: drive, rather than only C: drive? I would be so grateful, as ever

Cheers
    01-06-13 10:43 AM
    I don't know the answer but might take a stab at it - do you have to allow SHARING of that additional drive. And that is about the extent of my knowledge when I try doing any of this network access. I seem to only have access to a usb-drive attached directly to my router and the folder called PUBLIC on my main computer (not even the C: drive)
    GooseberryFool likes this.
    01-06-13 10:55 AM
    F2 is most likely correct. You likely haven't shared your D:\ drive.
    01-06-13 12:49 PM
    What f2 said
    If you right click the E drive and go to properties and sharing, is it shared? If not, share it
    Should be that simple..
    01-06-13 12:52 PM
    You can network your PC to your PB??? How do you do that?
    01-06-13 01:06 PM
    01-06-13 01:15 PM

Fantastic thanks. I'll have a go now.
    01-06-13 01:55 PM
    Yay, so many thanks to you all. I can now see both C and E drive. Brilliant or what, eh?

As F2 suggested, and Elessar backed up, my E drive wasn't 'shared'

Also many thanks welshyyyyy for posting how to do it!!! I had looked in Control Panel but never thought to Right click on E drive etc. So simple ... when you know how

Right, will have to repeat all this stuff to get my friend's PB to see her PC files and she will be very happy too Having to set all this up again will be a good exercise for me, don't you think?

I do love learning more re IT etc as I find it interesting, a challenge and satisfying. So, give me a little while and I will be asking about how to do something else before long ! Watch this space, as they say ........

@F2 - I do hope you manage to get your network to see your PC drive/s soon.
    PS - How did you get your PB to read a USB from your router? That might be a very useful way of accessing a Memory Stick, if necessary???

Thanks to you all, yet again
    GF
    mpetrol likes this.
    01-06-13 02:02 PM
    I can't get it to work on Windows XP
    01-06-13 02:22 PM
    Yay, so many thanks to you all. I can now see both C and E drive. Brilliant or what, eh?

As F2 suggested, and Elessar backed up, my E drive wasn't 'shared'

Also many thanks welshyyyyy for posting how to do it!!! I had looked in Control Panel but never thought to Right click on E drive etc. So simple ... when you know how

Right, will have to repeat all this stuff to get my friend's PB to see her PC files and she will be very happy too Having to set all this up again will be a good exercise for me, don't you think?

I do love learning more re IT etc as I find it interesting, a challenge and satisfying. So, give me a little while and I will be asking about how to do something else before long ! Watch this space, as they say ........

@F2 - I do hope you manage to get your network to see your PC drive/s soon.
    PS - How did you get your PB to read a USB from your router? That might be a very useful way of accessing a Memory Stick, if necessary???

Thanks to you all, yet again
    GF
    Using Ghost Commander. I navigated up till Windows Share showed. Then I connected to 192.168.1.1 (yours could be different) and I saw the drive connected to my router's usb port.

Pacoman probably has better info on this entire area!
    01-06-13 02:33 PM
    Gooseberry, if you want a challenge start sideloading android apps

Just follow the video, pause it each time they do something and you,ll have it done in 15 minutes at the most,incredibly easy to do.

Then you can download es file explorer, sideload it, it has an automatic search button which goes off and finds all the shares on your network then you just click on them to access all your files and copy from here to there, there to here etc etc

Im reasonably IT literate and sideloading from start to finish took 10 minutes. Not all apps work but its good when you find ones that do
    01-06-13 02:55 PM
    Pacoman probably has better info on this entire area!
    Nah, not me. I'm old school, and my router doesn't have a USB port. But you can access a flash drive or memory card connected to your PC with Ghost (or ES File Explorer or X-Plore) so long as you set those drives up to share.
    01-06-13 03:01 PM
    For any mac users you can do the same thing - 1 either by simply turning on wifi sharing & the drive should appear; or by mapping using smb:// & the IP address (through Finder - Go>Connect to server). Just for info.
    01-06-13 03:05 PM
    Then you can download es file explorer, sideload it, it has an automatic search button which goes off and finds all the shares on your network then you just click on them to access all your files and copy from here to there, there to here etc etc
    X-Plore also has the LAN scan function, plus being a dual pane file browser, like Ghost Commander, it makes moving things around a bit easier than ES.
    01-06-13 03:09 PM
    Gooseberry, if you want a challenge start sideloading android apps

Just follow the video, pause it each time they do something and you,ll have it done in 15 minutes at the most,incredibly easy to do.

Im reasonably IT literate and sideloading from start to finish took 10 minutes. Not all apps work but its good when you find ones that do
    Thank you for suggesting this. In fact, I have actually managed to do side-loading, mainly because I wanted Kindle app on PB so I could access my books on there too! Yes, the YouTube video, plus other articles/forums etc, helped me to work it out. I surprised myself He! He! He!

So, keep the suggestions coming, if you feel inclined but, when reading through the posts here, I get 'inspiration' to try whatever the OP is struggling with. I obviously like the challenge! I always was a rebel and hated (still do) being told what to do, what I can't do, etc ...

I very much appreciate your help and side-loading would otherwise have been a brilliant idea.

Having said all that, I would like to work out how to run a PowerPoint show, if it's possible, as you do on Windows. I haven't tried it with hdmi cable to TV so maybe that's the answer? Will try that, I think ...

I still would like to get my KeePass file accessible on Playbook but haven't succeeded yet, in spite of downloading apps KPD and Vault. I'll maybe resurrect my post of a few weeks ago Also, need to create new posts re PowerPoint.

Cheers
    GF

PS Is ES File Explorer at goodereader.com ? I'll check it out - Thanks, will probably give it a go as sounds interesting Thanks again
    01-06-13 03:36 PM
    Es file explorer is probably in this list
    Http://forums.crackberry.com/android...3-bars-689706/

Re powerpoint, you can use the presentation mode if you hdmi it to a tv, so you can watch the presentation on the external screen whilst reading seperate notes on your pbook. Presentation mode very useful feature in a work environment
    01-06-13 04:08 PM
    X-Plore also has the LAN scan function, plus being a dual pane file browser, like Ghost Commander, it makes moving things around a bit easier than ES.
    in E-Plore is there a way to "keep" the link or reference or do I have to scan each time?
    01-06-13 04:41 PM
    Es file explorer is probably in this list
    Http://forums.crackberry.com/android...3-bars-689706/

Re powerpoint, you can use the presentation mode if you hdmi it to a tv, so you can watch the presentation on the external screen whilst reading seperate notes on your pbook. Presentation mode very useful feature in a work environment
    Thanks, yes, it was in this list so have downloaded. Just wanted to ask if I can sideload wirelessly now, or must I connect via usb cable? I suspect I need the cable. I can't think how I would use DDPB without connecting download BUT if anyone knows differently, I would love to hear about it, including how it's done.

I'll do the PowerPoint/hdmi thing in the next day or two and will post back - Thx again

Thanks welshyyyyyyyyy

GF
    01-06-13 04:49 PM
    in E-Plore is there a way to "keep" the link or reference or do I have to scan each time?
    You don't have to rescan- it will save any found LAN devices.
    01-06-13 05:06 PM
    Thanks, yes, it was in this list so have downloaded. Just wanted to ask if I can sideload wirelessly now, or must I connect via usb cable? I suspect I need the cable. I can't think how I would use DDPB without connecting download BUT if anyone knows differently, I would love to hear about it, including how it's done.

I'll do the PowerPoint/hdmi thing in the next day or two and will post back - Thx again

Thanks welshyyyyyyyyy

GF
    You can sideload wirelessly. In DDPB you just need to manually enter the ip address and password of your PB.
    Barljo likes this.
    01-06-13 05:11 PM
    You can sideload wirelessly. In DDPB you just need to manually enter the ip address and password of your PB.
    Brilliant! I'll give it a try, but tomorrow as it's now 1am!!! (Am in UK)
    Thanks v much
    GF
    01-06-13 07:01 PM
    Hi there

Just for the record, I did as you suggested, Pacoman, entered the ip address and password, as I would have done had the Playbook been connected, and it sideloaded wirelessly. Brilliant. I don't use the usb connection any more as I also now have a dock charger. All so much easier and less hassle like this!

Re the Slide Show, I did connect hdmi, put into Slide Show and opened a ppt. Yes, I appreciate you can have notes on the Playbook, while not on the TV screen but I was hoping the ppt might run as an automated show, ie changing each slide without having to manually do it. Also, there is some music attached to the ppt but it doesn't play on the Playbook. Needless to say, it does on the PC. Unless I've not adjusted something, I think I have to accept the Playbook doesn't have the functionality. A bit too much to expect of a tablet, even the Playbook, eh?

Thanks for all the help here
    GF
    01-19-13 12:02 PM
    Is there a way to allow a connection between my playbook and my PC on the network in my house that other family members use? I am definately a novice when it comes to networks. Any help appreciated.
    01-19-13 01:09 PM
    Is there a way to allow a connection between my playbook and my PC on the network in my house that other family members use? I am definately a novice when it comes to networks. Any help appreciated.
    Yes, there is but I'm not the best to be explaining it to you. I'll search out the forum that I worked from. It was the first time I had done it too, so not so difficult!!!
    01-19-13 01:52 PM
    Hi

Here's the link to the thread. It was what 'talked me' through it.

Also, this article might be useful too - How to copy files to and from a BlackBerry PlayBook using Wi-Fi Sharing �Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Hope that helps you
    GF
    cscott44 likes this.
    01-19-13 02:05 PM
31 12